Belt furnishings :)

At the dark age meet I was lent a belt and I really liked it , when i got home i did a search for the items to make one , I was shocked at the prices for cast buckles and tips in the viking style so yesterday i set about making some bits.

The one on the right was the first bash
Middle 2nd go at the tip this one has a hinged bit on the bottom as well
on the left is the buckle
far left are all the bits I cut out by hand from a solid brass bar by had with a piercing saw lol my arm is aching still
oh and a ring with mechanical fixing for the back of the belt to hang things from.

buck.jpg

I am rather pleased with the results and am just fitting them to the leather strap I got off ebay.
Hope you like them coments always welcome :)
John

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
John mate they look spot on, very nice indeed.

All the best.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
John those are those doggies doodads! How did you cut them? By hand or with the mighty Dremel? They look superb and yes, I guess before long you'll be taking orders?

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Fantastic them John! And if the prices are skyhigh on the net , you should sell them for more because they are top quality.

I wouldnt even know how you go about making things like that. youll have to do some photos of making them step by step.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:approve:
:notworthy:

Those are excellent John :D I've just been at the re-enactor's market at Coventry and those beat virtually almost all of the stuff there hands down :cool:

Well impressed,
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Next time you do that John, can you sandwich some burr elm to the brass, then do the marquetry trick and make a knofe handle with knotwork and brass?

I'd give a lot to see that!

By hand? :Wow: How long did that little lot take you to cut then? Beautiful work all of them.
The items in the pic were made over 3 days but I am very eratic I do a bit then do something else for a bit so its hard to say exactly

That is very nice indeed John, you did a great job there. When are you going to be taking orders? :D
I might be doing them to sell one day I am bored with knife making lol

John those are those doggies doodads! How did you cut them? By hand or with the mighty Dremel? They look superb and yes, I guess before long you'll be taking orders?
You drill a small hole put the blade though fasten it in the other end of the piercing saw ( like the one JoJo posted ) and go for it :)

:approve:
:notworthy:

Those are excellent John :D I've just been at the re-enactor's market at Coventry and those beat virtually almost all of the stuff there hands down :cool:

Well impressed,
M
Well thats the reason i made them myself when i saw what was on offer online, its all mainly mass produced stuff , but saying that I dont think they would have been made like this back then either

Next time you do that John, can you sandwich some burr elm to the brass, then do the marquetry trick and make a knofe handle with knotwork and brass?

I'd give a lot to see that!
I could do mate but no one could afford the knife when completed :lmao: I am very near the end of my knife making days anyway Red ( long story )

Thanks everyone its good to hear people like them I need to get some oil for the leather and do the rivets and it will be compleat I will post pics of the finished item :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Bill's Tool Store at the Barras, The Model Shop in Uddingston will get it for you, or there's a non ferrous metals supplier in the South Side of Glasgow.
Sometimes scrappy's have old kick plates from doors that can be very, very good :) There's also a place near the mosque in Mossend that sells metals.........they can be a real pain in the neck, especially for small orders though.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE