Been a little busy lately

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Some of you know my web site but It's been getting a little unwieldy lately because it's grown so large.

So recently I decided it needed splitting up and a bit of a redesign.

What I would be very interested in would be some opinions about how it looks now.

It's divided into three parts, the living history part is still www.lore-and-saga.co.uk .

The landscape photography is now www.waylandscape.co.uk and has had the biggest revamp.

The Bushcraft bit is now www.ravenlore.co.uk .

There are bits that still need finishing but I would be interested in opinions before I finish the job.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Hi Wayland.
I've just looked at the 'ravenlore' bit. I like the shadow effect on the borders, the clear simple layout and the excelent compass. Not to mention the usual quality pics (that training is very noticeable!!)
Swyn.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Looks good mate :D I love the navigation on Ravenlore, very well done.
I'll forward my dad to the photography site, he's obsessed :rolleyes:

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Quite seriously is such self promotion, however unpretentiously conveyed, one of the permitted benefits of “full” membership on this site? I really would like clarification please.

Cheers

Klenchblaize said:
Quite seriously is such self promotion, however unpretentiously conveyed, one of the permitted benefits of “full” membership on this site? I really would like clarification please.

Cheers

Wayland has, to my knowledge, always had a link to his main site as a sig.

To be honest Klench I really don't think there is any self-promotion here - he's just looking for feedback. If it had been a seriously junior member that had posted here only a few times I could understand your questioning to a degree - but Wayland's reputation proceeds him and I don't think there is call to question this in such a harsh tone IMHO. :(

Think you're shooting from the hip a bit here mate.

Phil.

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Not questioning Wayland's credentials so to speak but as stated, quite seriously seeking clarification if full membership carries the benefit of posting such links to one’s own web site and, it must be mentioned, business. I wish it hadn’t been Wayland that prompted this as I’m sure he is a “top man” and as acknowledged by me elsewhere takes a good snap to be sure.

Cheers

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I believe that if you link to an external site, a link back is usually required. I haven't checked the new look site out ye, but I'm sure Wayland will be on top of it. I see no harm whatsoever in a respected and well liked member asking for feedback on his wbsite bearing in mind that many of us have looked at his site for various reasons in the past.

Let's keep it nice folks, I'd hate to see another thread get locked due to the opinion of a minority :nono:

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I have had a look at the photo site...beautiful evocative landscape photography. I wish I could take photos like that. I also like to read the details you give about the landscape where you took your photos..10 out 10 for a great site, Wayland. By the way, what nikon compact did you use? I have got a Nikon Coolpix 2000, and there is no way I get anything as good as yours out of it! :You_Rock_

I also looked at the Bushcraft site. Clear, concise text and beautiful photography as well. Top mark from me for what it's worth!!!

Gailainne

Life Member
Wayland

In general I like your sites, its obvious a lot of thought was put in beforehand, to get your pages to flow. (either that or you tweak constantly :) )

My thoughts, this is from a 10-15 minute perusal so take it as such.

Lore and saga, I'm not sure of the bright primary colours, I can understand why you did it, to stand out against the black background, shrug perhaps more earthy colours. Ive looked again, maybe metals would be better, pewter, silver, gold. I think that they would work really well, especially on your menu. btw small critique your text overlaps on your menu in places. I really like your winking viking.

Ravenlore, colours are very good, compass as a navigating tool is inspired, really like it. I like your icons for your menu on the right hand side, not sure on them repeating, may I suggest if the page is long, you put it inside a scrollable window, that would allow the menu to stay static at the side, and perhaps the compass to stay static with blurb at the top.
The only other thing I'm not sure about is the shadows behind the text, icons, it creates a fuzzy image, in my eyes, if I may suggest the closer shadow settings in your email link suits better. Your viking logo needs to lose the black background.

Waylandscape, not much to say really, I like the site, and I really like your photographs, your eye for compositions is something to envy.

LIke I said from a website point of view in general I like your sites, the content is brill, and I am looking forward to meeting you. The detail web stuff, shrug, my opinion, only based on a quick look, and after a few beers :)

Regards

Stephen

To answer a few questions put as I was typing this, yes there is a link to bushcraft on Waylands site.

Why is this any different to ppl showing their new knife, bow, (insert here) and asking for comment from their peers ? at the end of the day I suggest leaving the right or wrong of it to Tony and Co, and leave your responses to the question asked, if you dont like it dont respond.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Klenchblaize said:

Cheers

Hello klenchblaize.

The benefits of full membership are for the most part paying towards the upkeep of this site we all enjoy so much.

It does not convey any such extra rights to my knowledge.

So as to the links.

Ravenlore is certainly not a business, you will find no product or services offered there.

Waylandscape again offers no product although if someone wanted to buy a picture I guess they could contact me. However that is not the intention of the site. The simple truth of the matter is that if you take pictures you generally would like an audience to show them to.

Lore and Saga is indeed the way I earn my living, Commercial would be putting a good spin upon it as it was never designed to make me a wealthy man. If I was interested in money I would take a job that at least guarantees a minimum wage.

My living history work provides me a sufficient income whilst allowing me time to follow other interests, like photography and bushcraft.

Frankly if I had more work then I would have less time and that is something very precious to me.

I am rather hurt that you would think my motives so base. I have just reported this post to the mods for a ruling and will abide by their wishes upon the matter.

Post Script. I eventually referred this matter to Tony for judgement at the Spring Bushmoot and he had no problem with it. Klenchblaize has since apologised, not that any was needed, and everybody is now happy. :D

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I am with TMKTC on this, Wayland is a long term member who has put a lot into this community not someone with half a dozen posts who is trying to sell bushcraft courses/kit or a get rich quick scheme. It is more his reputation that allows him to post this rather than his membership status. I guess he is looking for some knowledgable feedback from the members here rather than "self promotion"!

All I could criticise about the site is "whats new", it is over a year old! ;)

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have to say that i think wayland should be allowed to do this because he has put a lot into this community which has already been said, and he is not selling anything, i thought this was allowed if you were not selling a product or courses ?? the url is already in his signiture and surely this is just like posting a link to a blog etc ??
leon

They all look good to me mate , I wish I had the go in me to do my website I have not touched it for such a long time.

On the self promotion point above I know you were just asking for opinions on your sites and the thought that you were trying to sell anything never even popped into my mind I know your a good bloke :nana:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Waiting for a Mod to make a ruling but thanks everyone for your kind comments.

Jojo. The Nikon compact I had was a Nikon Coolpix 5000, I bought it because it had a decent wide angle lens and 5 megapixels which seemed enough at the time.

Gailainne. Thanks so much for your time, the primary colours were partly for contrast with the black background that everybody says you should never use, but also to make it child friendly as it's often the kids who find the site before the teachers.

The text overlaps were caused by a browser glitch which I think I've fixed now.

The scrollable window sounds a good idea but I'm not sure I know how to do that, I'll have to scratch my head a bit.

Goose. Well spotted. I'd completly forgotten to update that bit, Thanks.

This is exactly the sort of stuff I was hoping for. :D

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Sorry Klench but I've never met Weyland and even I can see he had no commercial intent in his posts....I don't think there's anything for the Mod team to do here :)

Also, sorry Weyland I haven't a clue when it comes to design ideas....I'm a pretty good replicator of other people's ideas but there's no creative spark in my little brain! lol :D

Cheers,

Bam. :D

Hi Wayland,

The photography throughout is stunning, and your written contributions follow suit. However if you want constructive criticism on the site then:

Perhaps changing the red on the lore and saga homepage to a more subtle tone? Its quite overpowering to look at.

Its good I think that you pictures don't expand to become too huge when clicked upon, and the accompanying text for each makes for an interesting read.

Do you really need the very first page on the waylandscape site. It doesn't really do much that isn't explained on your actual homepage.

Minor point, you might want to consider changing the top left viking on the ravenlore homepage to having a green background like the rest of the page, th black makes it look slightly less polished.

Its great to see all the links and alt tags working, and all the sites seem very well made.

Love the graphics. Did you make them?

I found it quite hard to find complaints with your site, but I hope what I've written will be of use. :)

woodwalker

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Woodwalker. Some good points there. I'm wondering about the red but changing it now means a major overhaul of the graphics at the original file level. A lot of work... :(

The first page of the Waylandscape site contains a lot of hidden seach engine optimization that I don't want cluttering up the code on the main site but I take your point. I might look at that again.

The black square with my Odin logo on it is also my avatar in many sites including this one. Since this is the most likely audience for Ravenlore I felt that was worth leaving as it is but you're the second person to raise that point so I'll think about that too.

The Graphics are all made by myself with a combination of CoralDraw and Photoshop. I just couldn't find anything available out there that suited my needs.

I'm quite chuffed with the Ravenlore compass thingie, it took quite a bit of work to get it right.

Gailainne. Thanks for that, I'll have a good look at that later

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE