Strapping kit to a rucksack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
To the OP I'd say try out packing your smaller sack with your list of kit for a longer trip and see what would need to go on the outside. If that works you'll have your answer about selling the bigger pack.

Reactions: Wandjina and Olio

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The Karrimor SF Sabre 45 isn't constructed to strap equipment outside. Apart from climbing equipment or a roll mat perhaps.

The German army mountain rucksack for example is constructed to put a large sleeping bag on top of it and a poncho under the flap. Large flap with D-rings on it in the right places.
The Sabre 45 is meant approximately as I described it above. It's everything else than a pack frame.

Reactions: Wandjina

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
One of my past occupations was mule packing. The pack saddles most often have two panniers hung on each side and possibly a center bag. Over this a manty ( from Spanish mantilla) aka canvas cover was secured with various spider hitches. At most, a two man crosscut saw was tied off in a old firehouse scabbard to clear trail.
Anything outside had a proclivity to disappear unseen with up to a dozen long ears. I even watched a C Sharps 45-120 half out UNDER its owners leg until someone noticed it.
Cups? Those affectation Kuksa things? Mine is a Minton tea cup circa 1930. Keeping it intact tests my packing skill. Wood is so philistine.

Reactions: Macaroon

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Some 7 years ago we saw the ultimate outside packer in Lapland, a middle aged lady with her pack govered with hanging things. I don't know if she had much anything in the pack itself.

Her pack was about as badly adjusted as possible, hanging away from her back and she was leaning forward to compensate.

She was walking with Crocks, woolen socks though but in 10 cm of water on a boggy fellside.

The most incredible sight, by that time she must have covered about 50 klicks. I did not dare to take a pick.

I usually have my mat and sleeping bag outside (in a water tight bag) and boots of course, they are a pain to pack and fasten

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
The point being, you take a small bag so when people ask, 'what size bag do you take when camping?' you can breezily reply, 'oh, just a 35L...'
Cramming everything into a small pack is fine until you're in freezing conditions, galeforce winds and heavy rain. Personally i would much rather have a slightly oversized pack with a bit of spare space in which things can be easily stuffed with minimal fuss.

I love the idea of a sabre 45 and have toyed with the idea of getting one, but the lack of adjustable back has put me off, as I am tall. But going back to the op, sounds like a sensible approach, but I think I would get the rocket packs.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
A 60l pack with straps to flatten it when not fully loaded, some have a system for that. I remember trying 35l packs years ago and there was always some item that took more volume than I had available, I gave up, I think daughter#1 used it in the scouts until she outgrew it.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
For an overnighter, your Sabre 45 should be OK for capacity. If you feel the need for extra capacity, the side pockets for it are really good: they attach securely and you can, as Paul Kirtley has demonstrated, carry a weeks food in one, leaving you room for 'luxuries' in the main pack.

Having been brought up in the Alpine climbing tradition, I tend to keep the pack 'clean' and have nothing dangling from it but occasionally, my mat and pair of Crocs can be seen on the outside of it on longer trips...

In the States, there are some who buy a rucksack frame and then attach a series of dry bags to it. This can give greater flexibility to your requirements and carrying but, to my mind, there's a lot more to go wrong, get wet, lose or forget with it! Still, horses for courses!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I read it as the OP wants to reduce kit and not buy more, but I don't see how that can be achieved without compromise. His needs, aiui, is about mostly having need for the 45l sack but still hoping to get out for longer trips which it's not quite big enough for. Compromise options include keeping both, selling the bigger to leave just the 45l sack or sell both and use the money to get something in between. There are others such at only the smaller pack but get those larger pockets for more kit trips. Or reduce the volume, and weight, of your kit so it fits into the smaller sack even for longer trips.

I have a couple of 50l sacks that can expand a bit but they can all swallow what I have and need for a week and even longer. For me the base kit for a weekend and for a week is not significantly different. It's the consumables that increased my need for space. Bear in mind I did a weekender using a 20l alpkit Gourdon with only a meths bottle and a water bottle in the outside mesh pockets. I think my base load of sack, bag, mat, shelter, waterproofs, warm layer and stove was not much more than 3kg IIRC. Pack size was, well 20l with food.

Needless to say my longer trip kit I could probably easily carry with the OPs smaller sack. Even with a decent amount of food being carried. So perhaps sack choice might be best changed to kit choice? That could become expensive though!

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
For an overnighter, your Sabre 45 should be OK for capacity. If you feel the need for extra capacity, the side pockets for it are really good

I think that's about right.
I just can't imagine what anyone would need that 90L pack for. Well, not in a temperate climate.
45L will do easily for a night out, maybe 2 or 3. With the addition of those side pouches you can expand if needed.
But a 90L pack? On it's own that weighs a ton. Fill it up and...well, do you really want to be lugging that around for pleasure? The thought of that gives me shudders.
If I was the OP I'd sell on the 90L pack and, as someone suggested above, adapt your kit to get in the 45L (plus side pouches, when needed). The side pouches allow you to keep things modular - attach when needed, take off when not.

Olio

Sep 16, 2022
Scotland
Thanks for chipping in everybody. Much food for thought. Actually some of the responses were very interesting. For instance, I can easily fill a 90 ltr ruck sack with my sleep system and cooking stuff/ scoff But I accept that is because I like to be warm, comfy and well fed when I camp and my bouncing bomb sleeping bag fills most of the central body of either ruck sack if I am out in early spring or late autumn. So I could look at this at bit more.

Also I use a haven XL for my shelter which takes up a fair bit of room.

I think the point about rocket packs is a good one. I didn’t want to buy them but it’s probably the wisest route If I get rid of the leaf cutter.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Just to add a little more grist to the mill, I walked along the Offa's Dyke footpath, an eleven-day backpacking jaunt, using the Sabre 45 + pockets. It worked brilliantly, allowing me to carry everything I needed and nothing I didn't. It was in summer but it proved the versatility of the pack and the redundancy of some of the behemoths out there. In the interests of transparency, I have to admit that I have 'retired' my Sabre and now use a Savotta Jaakari L in its stead - another superb, similarly-sized pack with a rather better harness.

Looking at Mr Mears's site, it seems that his Leafcutter pack doesn't even have side compression straps which, to my mind at least, are something of an essential in a pack of that size. But then, that's just me...

Olio

Sep 16, 2022
Scotland
Just to add a little more grist to the mill, I walked along the Offa's Dyke footpath, an eleven-day backpacking jaunt, using the Sabre 45 + pockets. It worked brilliantly, allowing me to carry everything I needed and nothing I didn't. It was in summer but it proved the versatility of the pack and the redundancy of some of the behemoths out there. In the interests of transparency, I have to admit that I have 'retired' my Sabre and now use a Savotta Jaakari L in its stead - another superb, similarly-sized pack with a rather better harness.

Looking at Mr Mears's site, it seems that his Leafcutter pack doesn't even have side compression straps which, to my mind at least, are something of an essential in a pack of that size. But then, that's just me...
In fairness to the leaf cutter it’s quite a good bag, very light and very well made but it was expensive (well I think so anyway) and I uhhmmed and aahhed over for it ages but with hindsight there is no doubt that the sabre (with rocket packs) is a time proven model. I should have paid more attention at the time.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
There must be a market for an upgraded sabre 45 with modernised, adjustable back system? I'd certainly pay for that. Closest packs are the savottas and wisports.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Dave, I’ve been a ML(S & W) for 20 years and regularly work with other ML and MCI and I’ve never heard of anybody failing for having kit on the outside of their pack. I do agree however that your more likely to lose or get soaked anything dangling !

It’s something that came up as a discussion once with a technical advisor who also runs ML. But I’ve never known anyone attend a summer ML assessment with anything hanging off their pack either…

Reactions: Limaed

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I'm certain I've been taken into the hills by qualified mountain professionals who carried things outside their pack. I remember a national trust working holiday with a day of climbing and scrambling. The instructor / guide (single pitch, ML and other qualifications) carried his ropes coiled up under the top lid of his alpine style climbing sack. I have a few sacks of that style and they all have a special strap to secure ropes carried this way.

Of course he could have slipped into habits that would fail him in an ML assessment. Although do they need a full set of climbing ropes for summer ML at least so in a summer ML job would they need a rope to carry on the outside?

The rope should definitely be kept hidden and safe in your rucksack. A walking rope is strictly only to be used in an emergency.

@TLM You are correct, Ice axes skis and snowshoes I believe are acceptable.

Reactions: nigelp

ONE

Nov 21, 2019
N. Ireland
When I first got big enough to go "camping" beyond the garden, strapping things to your rucksack was almost an essential. In some respects, because the kit was physically more bulky but also, there was a degree of fashion to it. In the early Eighties, My hand-me-down, bright orange Cobmaster external frame rucksack perennially had my Bundeswher surplus sleeping bag (with arms) on the bottom of the frame and my equally orange Millets tent (were they "Citizen" branded?) Strapped to the top, wrapped in binliners. This was kind of essential, as the pack couldn't contain them, as well as a couple of pairs of jeans, a wooly-pully, a pilot jacket and a dozen tins of beans, soup and steak & kidney pudding. The enamel plated mug and coffee pot that hung from the closure straps however were pure fashion, they showed I was an outdoorsman, or so I thought!

Much later, I can recall stopping at an outdoor shop for some Mountain House and the sales guy almost having apoplexy because I'd attached side pouches to a Lowe Alpine Crossbow pack. The Crossbow was supposed to be a piece of sleek mountain kit, and as Broc stated earlier the cognoscenti disapproved of attachments!

These days, it's that almost ubiquitous Sabre 45, with the hatchet (a modded Cold Steel Rifleman's Hawk) and the khukuri (KHHI Gurkha 3rd Issue, with a KHHI modded sheath and custom karda/chakmak) still living outside. In the case of the hatchet, practicality, it's on a lengthened helve. The Khukuri? Show. I'm a big kid still.

Reactions: Wandjina and wookii

ONE

Nov 21, 2019
N. Ireland
Your sleeping bag might be outdated.
I don't know it though.
This would have been about 1983 at the tender age of 13. It's long gone now, was nicked at a scooter rally IIRC.

Photo from the web.

Attachments

• GERMAN-SLEEP-BAG.jpg
    GERMAN-SLEEP-BAG.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 6

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
That I know of course. And it's totally outdated of course.

The modern military sleeping bags became much more compact.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE