Been a little busy lately

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Wayland said:
Hello klenchblaize.

The benefits of full membership are for the most part paying towards the upkeep of this site we all enjoy so much.

It does not convey any such extra rights to my knowledge.

So as to the links.

Ravenlore is certainly not a business, you will find no product or services offered there.

Waylandscape again offers no product although if someone wanted to buy a picture I guess they could contact me. However that is not the intention of the site. The simple truth of the matter is that if you take pictures you generally would like an audience to show them to.

Lore and Saga is indeed the way I earn my living, Commercial would be putting a good spin upon it as it was never designed to make me a wealthy man. If I was interested in money I would take a job that at least guarantees a minimum wage.

My living history work provides me a sufficient income whilst allowing me time to follow other interests, like photography and bushcraft.

Frankly if I had more work then I would have less time and that is something very precious to me.

I am rather hurt that you would think my motives so base. I have just reported this post to the mods for a ruling and will abide by thier wishes upon the matter.

If this is how you and, it must be acknowledged all other contributors to this thread choose to interpret my carefully worded question, then in the interest of your continued and uninterrupted enjoyment of this resource I bid you farewell.

Cheers!

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Very nice.

The only thing I can find that might improve things is the clickable map on the Waylandscape site.

It's not obvious that clicking on different parts will take you to different pages, not least as it suggests ( using IE6, as seen in the bottom left hand corner of the browser ) that they all go to overseas.html rather than seperate pages. Possibly a subtle numbering index on the map itself, corresponding to the lower rollover links below it, would make navigation clearer, as well as help educate those not too familiar with names of the territory divisions.

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
I've always liked the black background on the Lore and Saga site, and I think the primary/bright colours would be very attractive to children. The graphics and pictures are very proffesionaly done. Information is laid out in an easy to find/easy to book way.

The Photography site looks good. I wish my pictures could capture the mood half so well.

Ravenlore is my favorite layout. I really like the background colours and the compass graphic :You_Rock_ You've obviously put a lot of time and effort into the sites.

I'm looking to set up my own Wildlife Education buisness in the near future so I'm on the look out for inspiration :rolleyes: as I have not technical IT knowledge or ability.

And hopefully I'll be able to shamelessly self promote by linking my eventual site in my signature. And I haven't even got full membership yet :rolleyes: .

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Just had a quick look at the photography site. I like it - superb photos. As I said it was only a quick look, but my "grammar police" eye was drawn to a few "it's" with redundant apostrophes on the front page. I hope that's not too picky! :D

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Glen. I tend to use Mozilla so I hadn't noticed that. In Mozilla it shows up bottom left where the link goes. I'll have to look into that.

Scanker..... I hate you...... I've been using an apostrophe for the possessive form of it for years. It must be all over my sites and I've only just found out it's wrong. :aargh4: ( I think that last use is correct :confused: )

Grammar is definately not my strong point. :deal:

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Oh yeah, I have terrible trouble with that one too... With an apostrophe, it's an abbreviation (it is, it has), without is possessive.

I've known this for years, and I still get it wrong all the time.

Nice collection of sites though... I've always thought black backgrounds tricky to pull off well. However, I do find the drop-shadows on Ravenlore a little on the heavy side... ;)

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Nice websites Gary. I especially like that compass.

My only comment is that your links pages all have a link back to themselves (Ok very picky I know :rolleyes: )

Ratbag

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Too Much Kit To Carry said:
I believe that it is still part of British law that a green grocer can use an apostrophe anywhere and anyhow :rolleyes:

So Wayland The Viking Green Grocer can do what he likes with an apostrophe :lmao: :lmao:

Phil.

I like to use it to indicate plural's too. ;)

Rat (the Greengrocer)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Gary,

I ahve to was that "Waylandscape" is the talk of my offices - fantastic site and photos.

One thought is an "alternative index" where such areas as "seascapes", "standing stones" etc. are grouped together rather than by area of origin. As the collection grows it might be useful.

I would also suggest watermarking the photos and offering them for sale - they are more than good enough and I for one would buy some as gifts!

Red

I appreciate this is a fairly old thread but I didn't know it existed i.e. an opportunity to give feedback on Wayland's site(s):

Well, I have them bookmarked. The bushcraft site is dynamic enough to hold my interest with easy, not to mention innovative, navigation and of course the photographs are stunning (inspiring in fact - if ever you need some motivation to get outdoors, just have a perusal through some of those landscapes).

I have just one suggestion to, maybe, include in the technical section and hopefully you could answer this one for me now. As a keen (strictly amateur) photographer myself I was wondering how you protected your gear on extended trips. I have this fear of waiting for the light in a freezing pre-dawn and then coming back to warm campsite for breakfast and have my gear drown in condensation! When combining Bushcraft with your photography, what precautions, if any, do you take.

Thanks in advance!

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Looking very good Wayland have always been a fan of your Ravenlore site (design and content).

One thing I spotted though - on your Glen Orchy page (Waylandscapes) did you mean The Trossachs or is there a hidden spot somewhere called The Trossocks?

Also, I'd be inclined agree with Woodwalker and tone down the primary colour navigation buttons on your Lore & Saga site, they seem a little on the garish side compared with the rest of it.

The only other thing I'd question is the use of the Applet on the Lore & Saga header. I'd use a JavaScript instead to achieve pretty much the same result. I find that at work the Applet takes ages to load up, causes problems with the corporate proxies and slows down the overall page load (I'm using Firefox to browse).

However, as they say - content is King and you've got a lot of great content. I thoroughly enjoyed browsing through your galleries and found the explanatory text gave just the right flavour to the scenes presented.

Oh, and a happy and prosperous 2008 to you and yours :D

Nov 12, 2007
Canada
Wayland, I can't comment about your other site's, but Ravenlore Bushcraft is spot on. As a matter of fact, other than BCUK, Ravenlore is the only other bushcraft site I keep as a 'favorite' bookmark on my computer. :D
Cheers
Alex

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Snip>One thing I spotted though - on your Glen Orchy page (Waylandscapes) did you mean The Trossachs or is there a hidden spot somewhere called The Trossocks?<Snip

:11doh:

Snip>The only other thing I'd question is the use of the Applet on the Lore & Saga header. I'd use a JavaScript instead to achieve pretty much the same result. I find that at work the Applet takes ages to load up, causes problems with the corporate proxies and slows down the overall page load (I'm using Firefox to browse).<Snip

A bit beyond me that, I use the bits available in NetObjects Fusion and that does all the hard work for me.

I just decide how I want it to look. I do wish I could get it to load faster though.

Wayland, I can't comment about your other site's, but Ravenlore Bushcraft is spot on. As a matter of fact, other than BCUK, Ravenlore is the only other bushcraft site I keep as a 'favorite' bookmark on my computer. :D
Cheers
Alex

Wow, compliment indeed.

I'll do my best to get some new content on there to keep your interest then.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE