Strapping kit to a rucksack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Back then it was indeed a brilliant idea.

Weight saving and universal.

There is a modern ultralight civil version on the market. If you combine it with the Hilleberg bivvy bag you get the same in current lightweight materials.

Even Decathlon recently offered such a thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wandjina

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I have an SF45.
Looked a bit weird, and image is the most important factor as we all know...
But I had my foam roll mat on the top lid, rocket pouch on one side with stuff(?) in...can't remember what, probably water to counter the weight of the tent, strapped to the otherside. On the front of the bag I have the predator pouch, behind that attached with a karabiner (sorry guys, but it's tucked out of sight) is my doggos silicone collapsible bowl. I maybe have had the drone strapped on there too, but can't be certain. I'd not look to rack up big mileage looking like that, but it worked at the time...

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
For many years, my only pack was a really big one. An empty wine box in the bottom would lift a comfortable load up onto my shoulders. I tried tying stuff to the sides. NO. Our forest understory can be quite dense. It's exhausting, getting hung up in the damn bushes. Better has been to try to add extra load straight down the middle of the back.

Lamb's rums always came in a hexagonal bottles which are now plastic, light weight and very bash-worthy. So are the limes. Mixed with mountain creek glacier runoff, quite a slurp.

YEOLDOAK

Jun 28, 2015
uk
I have both the Karrimor SF Sabre 30 and 45, I use the side compresion straps
to attach 5.11 Helmet shove it gear set, which works well for my full face helmet
and removable chin bar, and extra pads, rain jacket etc

On the front shoulder straps I have put some ITW Nexus strap buckles

This allows me to quick fix / detatch a 5.11 Banger Gear Set which I use for binos,
two way radio amongst other stuff

All are attached via ITW Nexus strap buckles, so no sewing and can be removed to restore
packs to original config, have found these little mods help greatly in making the packs
more versatile, to my needs anyway. The links are from where I purchased from, hope
this is of help to some.

Reactions: hughtrimble

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
That is a very good idea!
I always thought they are just for field repairs of buckles that don't break anyway and never thought about this option.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
I have both the Karrimor SF Sabre 30 and 45, I use the side compresion straps
to attach 5.11 Helmet shove it gear set, which works well for my full face helmet
and removable chin bar, and extra pads, rain jacket etc

On the front shoulder straps I have put some ITW Nexus strap buckles

This allows me to quick fix / detatch a 5.11 Banger Gear Set which I use for binos,
two way radio amongst other stuff

All are attached via ITW Nexus strap buckles, so no sewing and can be removed to restore
packs to original config, have found these little mods help greatly in making the packs
more versatile, to my needs anyway. The links are from where I purchased from, hope
this is of help to some.
That does sound like a really good idea.
Could you possibly take some photos of your set-up with these clipped on? I understand the side pouch arrangement but not quite the chest one?

YEOLDOAK

Jun 28, 2015
uk
"Could you possibly take some photos of your set-up with these clipped on? I understand the side pouch arrangement but not quite the chest one?"

Will happily do pics, as for how to display them here ? but will give it a go

YEOLDOAK

Jun 28, 2015
uk

YEOLDOAK

Jun 28, 2015
uk
Pics seem to work on my PC, hope they work for you.

The 5.11 add ons are fitted using a number of the ITW Nexus buckles,
ladder locks for both back and front mounting, a small length of 25mm
web strap, buckles and ladder locks was added to the web hook on the front pouch.

Have been running this setup for my riding for 2yrs and seems to work for me,
not to say there isnt easier better options, but in the moment this was what I came
up with. The rear pouch has a very large velcro panel covered, which I believe was for
purpose fitting to a 5.11 pack, you could sandwhich a strap setup within this for options.

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
Kifaru’s gear pods fitted to molle using split bar buckles quick and if the bag was tight pretty secure. Quite a nice method to add or subtract a sleep system to a smaller bag.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Kifaru’s gear pods fitted to molle using split bar buckles quick and if the bag was tight pretty secure. Quite a nice method to add or subtract a sleep system to a smaller bag.
Kifaru's gear pods are now like hens teeth. I dislike strapping stuff to the outside of the pack (not pods) it usually because of the noise but also the weight of the kit swinging around on my back. It looks untidy and I accept that it's incredibly judgemental but I think it looks terrible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozmundo

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
I don’t disagree. They need to be on the right pack. Ideally captured by compression straps too which sort of defeats the objective.

I use them as a quick add on to my day pack to carry sleep kit that sits in the car boot or to bring stuff back I’m picking up.

A planned trip I’d usually go for a bag with excess space. I have to admit I put a lot of kit outside my bag as I tend to use an Alice, sourced on these forums :D . I have developed a liking for the accessories too. ;) . Tempted by a mug and carabiner just to wind people up!

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Not sure if I said already, but typically the only thing I have "hanging" off my bag is a collapsible silicone doggo bowl.
I've strapped the drone bag to the outside on a guaranteed summers day, but I don't like stuff that catches...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE