Bee Propolis - any interest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have collected some small amounts of bee propolis. It is used by many herbalists, alternative medicines, cosmetic manufacturers etc. I guess if you are interested, you know what it is!

Before I sell to one of the commercial buyers, I wondered if it might be of interest to any members?

If it is, let me know, otherwise I'll pass it on to one of the commercial buyers

ATB

Red

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Hi Red, happy to let it go to someone who knows there remedies better than me. But if you could spare a little, I'd love to experiment with a few natural products myself. Burn/scald cream would be one interesting use.

Let me know if you would be happy to spare a little and costs :)

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Yes please, Hugh, I'd like some. How much? Sounds like your bees are doing you a good job :).

Was talking to our local bee-keeper-president at the farmers' market this morning. He may put a couple of hives in our garden soon! Possibly just empty hives as all the locals are low on bees again this year, after last, but there've been swarms in the area so he's rather hoping one or two might find the hives. Gotta go sort out the place for them now, it's got rather overgrown !!!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi Albus,

Propolis is horribly scarce even in hives and currently sells for around £5 for 20g

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAW-natur...ural_AlternativeTherapies&hash=item2c708617ac

My stuff will not be dried, mixed or adulterated in any way - straight from the hive as it leaves the bees.

Not sure how much I have at present - but I'm happy to weigh it out at that price, pack it in thoroughly and do postage at cost if that suits?

I will be doing a raw (water only purified) beeswax run shortly - only a small amount this year as we are still developing comb, but I would rather offer it here than to the commercials.

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yes please, Hugh, I'd like some. How much? Sounds like your bees are doing you a good job :).

They are indeed!

Okay,

before I get ahead of myself (I only have a tiny amount), let me weigh it out and I'll offer some to Elen and Albus first. If there is any left, I'll put it up for sale.

Regards - Red

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
That would be very kind.

My guess is Elen is far more experienced with its uses than me, so a small amount would be very generous and as much to Elen as she wishes. £5 per 20g + postage sounds fair to me and I'd rather be inspired and buy from here than some unknown on eBay.

:)

Hi Albus,

Propolis is horribly scarce even in hives and currently sells for around £5 for 20g

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAW-natur...ural_AlternativeTherapies&hash=item2c708617ac

My stuff will not be dried, mixed or adulterated in any way - straight from the hive as it leaves the bees.

Not sure how much I have at present - but I'm happy to weigh it out at that price, pack it in thoroughly and do postage at cost if that suits?

I will be doing a raw (water only purified) beeswax run shortly - only a small amount this year as we are still developing comb, but I would rather offer it here than to the commercials.

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I will check it in the next couple of days Albus

Its not made in quantity, but to see it, its the reddish brown material on top of the frames seen here - you can see how tiny the amounts are!

9) Clustered Bees by British Red, on Flickr

As those who have visited the homestead will attest, we don't do this stuff for exploitation - but to try to harness nature sympathetically. Any moneys we raise will go back into future projects to help us tread more lightly :) The last sale bought two "True Service Tree" saplings that are maturing nicely now. In a hundred years some future people will see some rare trees ;)

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Good looking hive. Snow does not look good for them tho :)

Is it wierd I quite like bees? Wasps not so much, but bees work so hard and we get so much from them.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bees are fascinating - its not weird at all. Have a look in a hive sometime and get a beekeeper to talk you though the lifecycle of a hive and its occupants...its amazing - utterly unlike the way mammals live. A hive lives forever and bees come and go, but bees live to the benefit of the hive and all try to contribute what they have to offer - without being watched or checked up on. We could learn a lot from bees!

The hive was only open because we were treating them with oxalic acid (the stuff that gives wood sorrel its tangy taste). Oxalic acid kills varroa mite that attacks honey bees...using natural resources. Even with bees, when we farm, we have a duty of care. In the cold bees do not raise brood - the mite hides in sealed brood and cannot be treated, so we treat once, in deep winter with the natural based treatment when there is no brood for the mites to hide in.

Last edited:

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
I really like bees and even more now im old enough to appreciate how much they do for us they are Amazing things we went to chain bridge honey farm near berwick they have a hive inside the museum were you lift off the sides and can watch the colony go about its business every one doing its own job even my wife and daughter were impressed then we got lots of fresh honey goodies from the shop :)

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Albus, do have a go, I'm not that experienced - haven't had the chance for years. Best way to get experience is to have a go :). Wasps often get bad press but, amongst other things, they're a vital part of the sanitation squad and work very hard too, if differently :). Even rats have their place :eek:

behind every creative woman there's usually a very talented cat ...

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
We too went to a honey farm but in Devon last month on holiday. They have an automated setup to open up a hive and let you see each layer and the difference between the combs. Designed for kids but I loved it.
They did have a wasp nest too and pointed out that they are great at breaking down dead wood, etc.
All of nature has a point and a purpose. Its usually us that bugger it up or introduce species out of its natural place. Thankfully nature tends to push back to status quo if it can.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Guys, I've just been and weighed what I collected yesterday - its a gobstopper sized ball - I was surprised it only weighed about 5g! I'll collect some more over time and PM you when I have a decent amount!

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just got the harvest up to 2 x 20g batches. I have reserved these for Elen and Albus

Albus' supply will go in the post today - let me know if you want the other batch Elen (I have sent you a pm as well)

Red

Balls of propolis by British Red, on Flickr

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE