Bee Propolis - any interest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
BR, I have literally thousands of small glass bottles....no bungs or stoppers, but that's not beyond mortal wit, I'm sure.

If you'd like some to use for tinctures for the propolis, let me know and I'll burrow them out of the baskets in the shed.

atb,
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks Mary - I'm good right now :). If you would like any of our bee products, you know you only have to say I hope? :)

I'm toying with the idea of making some propolis based varnishes for woodwork ......if its good enough for Stradivarius, its probably okay for my stuff :lmao:. Make a nice bushy finish for a set of knife scales or the like. I was thinking of making up some proper cutlers resin and natural varnishes for those knife makers who might like such things .....

Just finished putting the bee escapes on one hive so should be ready to remove some full frames of honey tomorrow :cool:. Got a couple of unwired ones in there to cut up into slabs of solid honeycomb....there seems to be a heck of a demand for that!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you kindly; I'm doing well for honey and beeswax this Summer and I have a stash of propolis still from last year :)

Varnish would be rather special :) interested to hear how you get on with it :)......somewhere something about Stradivarius and lemon oil comes to mind :dunno: no idea why though.

atb,
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Both of the first batches of propolis are now sold - and I'm very happy they haven't gone to commercial firms :)

If anybody else wants some, please let me know

Red

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
I'm looking forwards to playing with the propolis.

If anyone has had experience of using it any products, any advice is greatly received :)

Hi Albus,

I made several tinctures of propolis last year (most got handed out as Xmas presents but saved a few for myself) basically you put about 10g of propolis in an empty jar and cover with a spirit of ur choice, I tried scotch brandy and vodka, and leave it to steep for 2-4 weeks agitating regularly.
You can add about 100g of honey to the remainder of the bottle of spirit which helps sweeten the taste of the propolis.

When your happy evening has blended together filter it through a coffee filter then add the propolis infused alcohol to he rest of the bottle. You can reuse the propolis but a quick warning, the waxy texture sticks to everything and is a bugger to get off.

Apparently this is quite an old recipe and a tablespoon each day helps boost the immune system.

Hamster

realearner

Forager
Sep 26, 2011
kent
Never heard of it before this thread, I am amazed and again humbled by nature and we think we are the smart ones.
Thanks for the extra info on this I suppose by product of the bees, by the way I looked it up on Wikipedia. If any of you smart ones out there have any more info please let me know :D

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Both of the first batches of propolis are now sold - and I'm very happy they haven't gone to commercial firms :)

If anybody else wants some, please let me know

Red

Ms. Swift is very likely to be interested. I'll check in with here and PM you if she is.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE