Bear Grylls , Escape from Hell

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Interestingly it would seem that your average bloke has a closer DNA match with a chimpanzee than with his wife...
It rather puts "are mushrooms closer to animals or vegetables" debate into the shade!
Why was Tarzans pet Ape called "Cheater"?:yikes:

Radio 4? I heard that too. Also that crossbreeds should be possible. I know enough about the human race to assume someone somewhere has tried it :(

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
So what do mushrooms breath? Or any other fungi for that matter; oxygen (like animals) or carbon dioxide (like plants)?

Plants photosynthesise during the day and use CO2 but at night they respire, taking in Oxygen and passing out CO2 same as us animals.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Oh. Sorry. Thought you were answering the question.

It's cool, Santaman was saying that plants only photosynthesise, not resperate. Was just correcting him. As it's not the defining feature between us. wasn't being antsy just my usual picky self:eek: Fungi do need oxygen for growth though.

Sorry,
GB.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It's cool, Santaman was saying that plants only photosynthesise, not resperate....

Actually no, that's not what I was saying.

As I was taught, animals take in oxygen and expel carbon dioxide.
Whereas plants take in carbon dioxide and expel oxygen.

That principle is still being studied for long distance space travel.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Actually no, that's not what I was saying.

As I was taught, animals take in oxygen and expel carbon dioxide.
Whereas plants take in carbon dioxide and expel oxygen.

That principle is still being studied for long distance space travel.

But I was correcting the statement in that plants may take in CO2 during the day as part of the photosynthesis process but at night they take in Oxygen the same as animals do.
In fact there was a case back in the 70's where a tramp suffocated in his sleep on a very still night under a large low branched beech tree as the heavier CO2 that was being put out due to the trees respiration smothered him.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
But I was correcting the statement in that plants may take in CO2 during the day as part of the photosynthesis process but at night they take in Oxygen the same as animals do.
In fact there was a case back in the 70's where a tramp suffocated in his sleep on a very still night under a large low branched beech tree as the heavier CO2 that was being put out due to the trees respiration smothered him.

Never been taught that. Apparently NASA doesn't subscribe to it either. Nor the conservationists whose concerns over deforestation include the lessening of our oxygen supply as a result.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Never been taught that. Apparently NASA doesn't subscribe to it either. Nor the conservationists whose concerns over deforestation include the lessening of our oxygen supply as a result.

No worries Santaman, a lot of folk don't realise, and it does take in more CO2 than it puts out in a diurnal cycle.:)

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
[video=youtube;4nzhY-9VoWI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nzhY-9VoWI[/video]

I thought it was OK ish. The stories were good but the overall production is a bit over hyped and over sensationalised for my tastes.
I don't blame him for using his BG branded products on the show. Using anything else would look kinda bad really.

Firebow Swagger

Tenderfoot
Sep 15, 2013
United Kingdom/Essex
Pretty interesting , better than mosts rubbish on TV. I do find it odd how Bear gets such a negative response. I dont like him,But thats just because I am jealous as hell he gets to play in jungles for a living .

But something occurred to me recently. If a anti Bear bushcrafter got stuck in the wilderness would they rather die than use a tip they saw on his show? :lmao:

Im a noob to all this so Ill take any advise where ever I can get it , It might come in handy it might not

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Pretty interesting , better than mosts rubbish on TV. I do find it odd how Bear gets such a negative response. I dont like him,But thats just because I am jealous as hell he gets to play in jungles for a living .

But something occurred to me recently. If a anti Bear bushcrafter got stuck in the wilderness would they rather die than use a tip they saw on his show? :lmao:

Im a noob to all this so Ill take any advise where ever I can get it , It might come in handy it might not

I never liked his previous TV programmes. Couldn't make head nor tail of them. It took about 3 episodes just to see what was going on.

You could do worse than use kids as an excuse to read his "Mission Survival" Beck Granger books. They are kind of like a Survival Harry Potter. Of course they need a story and the hero has a lot of luck but there's a fair bit of info in there in context and it's a good way to get kids into all this.

And this is great
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113056

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I thought that was OK, much better than some of the other shows. The storeys being told were interesting and his narration was pretty good

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

I rather think that most "Anti-Bear" Bushcrafters would, IF they got stuck in the wilderness, be best off not showboating and faking techniques as shown by Bear in his early shows - as they could prove more lethal than the wilderness itself! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE