Bear bow drill instructional questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hey there everyone,

I’m new to bush craft having got into it recently after watching TV supremo and head scout Mr Bear Grylls.

I’ve been trying to learn the bow drill from his excellent bow drill instructional video on the “How Stuff Works” website. Here’s a link to it:

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/dis...w-and-drill-fire-building-technique-video.htm

I’m having a bit of trouble with a few points in the film though that maybe some of you more experienced bush crafters can help me with.

1. When bowing and blowing at the same time, do I need to lean in close to the drill? As you’ll see from the video the camera angle doesn’t show this.
2. Where is the ember supposed to form? Again, this isn’t shown so I’m wondering whether he carves a hole beneath where he’s drilling.
3. Any tips on keeping the drill straight? Whenever I adopt the same stance my arm flaps all over the place.

Bear makes it all look so easy but I guess that’s what years of practise does. No wonder he’s one of the best on the world.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I think the others have already commented on the vid itself and pointed you to better sources for information.

It's good that you're trying your hand at it, stick with it and you'll succeed in making first the ember and then fire. You'll probably need a much bigger bundle than bear used to convert his ember into flame. At this point forget what you've seen him do, the chances of you doing like that are very slim, watch the other vids and make sure you're set up right and stable, you need to be able to bear down on the block without the spindle flicking out whihc is what it's inclined to do.

Let us know how you get on and if you're anywhere near a meet it would be worth going along and getting some pointers from people.

Well, yes and no really. Our Guvnor Mr Taylor, God bless him, let's me practise a few bits and bobs in the yard. It'll be a while yet till I can practise out in the woods. One day though, God willing.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
What other skills are you allowed to practise while your doing your bit?
Mr Taylor sounds a very reasonable character indeed.

Oh, you know, the normal; axe throwing, archery, carving with knives.... don't worry I'm just pulling your chain!

No, seriously though, I do a bit of cordage making and knot tying and even have a little tracking box filled with sand to study footprints; can't say I've learnt much from it yet though. Get a bit of stick from the lads for that one as you can probably imagine.

Love is the drug, peace out brother!

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Hey there everyone,

I’m new to bush craft having got into it recently after watching TV supremo and head scout Mr Bear Grylls.

I’ve been trying to learn the bow drill from his excellent bow drill instructional video on the “How Stuff Works” website. Here’s a link to it:

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/dis...w-and-drill-fire-building-technique-video.htm

I’m having a bit of trouble with a few points in the film though that maybe some of you more experienced bush crafters can help me with.

1. When bowing and blowing at the same time, do I need to lean in close to the drill? As you’ll see from the video the camera angle doesn’t show this.
2. Where is the ember supposed to form? Again, this isn’t shown so I’m wondering whether he carves a hole beneath where he’s drilling.
3. Any tips on keeping the drill straight? Whenever I adopt the same stance my arm flaps all over the place.

Bear makes it all look so easy but I guess that’s what years of practise does. No wonder he’s one of the best on the world.

It's no wonder it took him an hour to get an ember (methinks its the first time he's done it:lmao::lmao:)
To answer your questions - in my opinion

1. Only if you want to hit yourself in the face with the bow and I've never needed to blow on the ember (more chance of blowing the forming ember away by doing that I'd have thought)
2. If you look at some of the other posts you will see that you start by getting the drill burnt into the heart (the bottom bit) and then cut a notch into it where the ember forms
3. He was kneeling on the wrong knee. Normally the hand holding the top bearing block is braced against the upright knee to stop it waving about when everything is in line
I always try not to go to fast either then you don't wear yourself out so much. Takes a few minutes longer to get an ember but your not sweating and puffing as much

Remember it's a learning curve and not all woods work (especially not pine I'm told):240:

Mainly from the gardens, which is where I work from time to time. We've got some cherry trees that I've pruned a bow off from and some lime trees too - no not the citrus type, the one with the sticky leaves. We even get parakeets visiting the garden occasionally, which is a delightful sight.

Also got some lovely cordyline plants to make the string from, I use the dead leaves so it doesn't damage or deface the plant. That said though, I’ve been cheating and using a shoelace for bow drill practise. Nice to give making the string a go though.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Ryan, i have been on a few bushcraft courses and although they teach you well about construction of your kit and technique, the only real way to learn is to keep trying and not give in too soon, it can seem imposible to do if its not working, then one day you will try it and get it after about 30 seconds and wonder how come it was so hard the other times.

My best piece of advise would be to spend more time in getting the correct wood for your kit that in actually doing the bowdrill. Mors Kochansky (spelling?) wrote in one of his books that if you havent got an ember within 15 mins throw your wood away and start again, and this time get the correct wood for it.

I have found a softer wood is easier than a really hard piece of wood, make sure its completely dry dead wood, a good way is to take your knife and slice a thin piece of bark of and look at the colour underneath, it has to be a dark brownish colour, not green and remember that cause its not attatched to a tree doesnt make it dead dry wood. it could of fell off the tree the night before.

try cutting the bark of and press your nail into the wood if you cant make a indent the wood is too hard, but it shouldnt be to soft either or your drill will just crumble the wood up.

I have so far succeeded in hazel, sycamore and birch in getting an ember. (So you could try these wood if you want)

The bow drill really is a combination of experience and feel and the only way to get that is to practice and not give in..

best of luck with it, you will get it if you keep trying..

Colin.....

Last edited:
Moon, you're a cheeky one all right; but since you ask... the clue's in the name...I'm a serial bigamist and I used to run a shop just off the Old Kent Road. Ironic thing was, some of my best customers were Old Bill!

Thanks for everyone's video suggestions, and sorry for the late reply, I only get to use the computer room at weekends.

Last edited by a moderator:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Randyrandle wrote

"Bear makes it all look so easy but I guess that’s what years of practise does. No wonder he’s one of the best on the world."

Are you a wind up merchant?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE