Beach camp (south east Scotland)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Finally got to go on my beach camp trip(fri-sun) my brother came up last weekend to do some diving etc, and then the planned camp trip and the end of his visit,we set off on Friday afternoon for the 2 and a half hour walk to the camp location,

First pic is of me walking down the sometimes scary way down to the beach,

beachcampmatt006.jpg

once down we retrived the rations id buried the week before, we'd only took 45l sacks each so the week before id gone and buried some 24hr ration packs and 2litre water bottles to cut down on weight,

beachcampmatt009.jpg

once supplies where located we put up a 2 man tent,the grassy area was just to uneven,and rock strewn, so we pitched in the sand and used rocks to hold down the guys,

beachcampmatt114.jpg

you can just make out a coconut in the foreground on the beach,wether or not that came off a boat or drifted all the way here is anyones guess, we spent the rest of the first day collecting drift wood for the fire,and exploring the left end of the beach,

here's one of the rock pool wild life,

beachcampmatt126.jpg

and another,

beachcampmatt082.jpg

i did see a grey seal feeding on the surface on a rather big fish but my batteries had died by then,also saw quite a few deer looking down on us from the cliffs,

next are a couple of our seating area/fire area and our clothes drying area,

beachcampmatt073.jpg

beachcampmatt138.jpg

beachcampmatt144.jpg

heres a couple of scenic shots, parts of it could be anywhere really

beachcampmatt143.jpg

beachcampmatt035.jpg

beachcampmatt038.jpg

the pics used where from my brothers and my camera with about 100 taken so i had to reel myself in with the posting, i dont get to see my brother often as he currently lives in Oxford,and is moving to Dorset next week(he says hes going to join this forum in the next few days) had a great time and the only sign of man for the weekend where the tankers on the horizon, great to unwind for a few days

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great pics Andy

The weather looks to have held out for you, what was it like camping down on the beach ?

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
fantastic Rich the weather got hotter and hotter, even with 3 days didnt have a chance to look round completely(beach must be almost a mile end to end with other bays to explore at its end) and sleeping on the beach was really comfy as it moulds to your shape, hopefully gonig to do it again in the not to distant future. Loads of drift wood we just used a old fishing crate to collect it.

OldFingersGreen

Forager
Jan 30, 2009
Manchester
looks like you had a cracking trip andy, so gutted i couldnt go! sods law as well, i've no work for two weeks now! typical! i must say my tent may have stood out a little though, its a bright orange frame tent! might have struggled getting it down that cliff as well, looks like a fair old drop!

keep me posted for the next one, definitley getting a scotland trip in at some point this summer.

great pics too! as usual.

cheers

dan

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Dan, we are going to be going again later on this summer i will keep you posted if you like, and i wouldnt worry about the colour of your tent, the place is well out of the way and it would only really be visible from the sea anyway, you could always try and put up a hammock where we hung our clothes(in one of above pics)Dwardo beach camping (on a deserted one) is my favorite type of camping,theres plenty to see and do and its very relaxing, i even got my brother to try limpets(i tried them a few months ago and hated them) and he liked the damn things!

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Andy,great pics,i may have to pop over sometime in the near future.Your site looks good,i like the use of the drying line;).
Anyway cheers for posting the photos.

Cheers Stuart.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I really like the pictures of the vertically striated rock. Its one of those things that gets me now and again when I start to think about how they were formed and how long it must have taken.

You know, in an ancient sea deposits were laid down, then petrified, then plate tectonics caused them to ripple and bend, then glaciation and erosion exposed them etc, etc ad infinitum.

:cool:

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Toddy, i think you can access the castle(ruins) from the cliff top further along from the beach,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_Castle .Really there are only two parts down the cliff that are difficult as the path is narrow/sloping/and loose in parts but taking your time its not to bad to get down really,(ive got dodgy knees and was ok) there are no parts that are sheer drops its really at worst steep grass slopes.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How accessible is the site for a small boat from the sea ?
Any idea of how close a put in with a safe car parking nearby could be ?

It really does look a cracking site :cool:

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE