Beach camp (south east Scotland)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well......we haven't had a coastal one yet :D
There's something kind of timeless, though I think I really mean sortof a time out of normal time, about a beach and that eternal sea :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Well......we haven't had a coastal one yet :D
There's something kind of timeless, though I think I really mean sortof a time out of normal time, about a beach and that eternal sea :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Yes is does sound good, I've never done a full on coastal camp in this country. I've camped on the beach in Biarritz which was cool and sea lochs on the west coast before.

There's something about staring into the fire with the sound of waves lapping up behind.

Can't wait, got any dates yet Andy ? :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Poor lad, there he is, nice quiet site, beautiful bit of the world, no one to bother him, and now we all want to come and play :rolleyes: :D

cheers,
M

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Fantastic pics, just my sort of thing, coastal bushcraft.

Was there any oppurtunity to do a spot of fishing? Nothing better than grilling your catch for supper.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Hi all, im not really bothered what dates really so long as its a weekend,maybe i should open another thread judging interest and dates? im off to France for a couple of weeks in June but apart from that im ok for most weekends, Toddy you could possibly get access by boat from one end of beach,see pic

beachcampmatt043.jpg

this is at the southern end of the beach and its the only bit to the sea thats open the rest of the beach has a rocky reef running along it, there is no really close parking to the beach, thats probably(along with access) why its so quite, but there are a few parking spots that i know of,what we did was walk from my house without rucksacks,and my misses dropped our rucks to us at Pettico wick for the final walk in(just over a hour weve got it down to) There are a couple of people i know in the village who have boats (diving schools etc) weather they could drop us off and pick us up would need to be found out,and it would cost, unless someone has a RIB/ which would be excellant and could be moored up at the beach otherwise its the trek in on foot im afraid which is a nice coastal walk all be it up and down(mostly up).

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
How accessible is the site for a small boat from the sea ? cheers,
M

Hi Mary,the vision that just ran through my head after reading that went something like this,theres us lads on the beach next to the fire when all we hear is "hello lads i,ve made it,i ,ve had Jeeves anchor the yacht just off shore,tell you what i'm Knackered,we are just back from Monaco for the grand prix,.I tell you what i could murder a cuppa is the Kelly Kettle on".

:D :naughty: Sorry i could,nt resist,i thought you might a bit of cheering up after whats all gone on with the site :rolleyes:

All the best Stuart

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:lmao:

Yacht indeed, :D and there was me thinking about the feasibility of a canoe :cool:

Oh, and if I do make it, if the kettle's on I'll bring the tablet :)

cheers.

M

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Stuart, i tried aa route planner but it doesnt seem to recognise pease bay?(been there bodyboarding) but never walked that way to beach in question, the closet put in point for a canoe would be Pettico wick but its a bit tricky getting the canoe down to the slip(two people could probably manage it) as its only a couple of miles North from Pettico, the shortest way walking would be parking down near Lumsdaine and heading straight for the coast but having never been that way couldnt tell you if you could park down there,or if theres suitable access through the farm land. Really for average fitness people parking up and walking in from either St Abbs,or Coldingham isnt really to much effort and it has a proper set up coastal route (including gates and stlyes) for access.You could park up at Coldingham bay car park,and follow the coastal path right along or park up at St Abbs and do the same,depending on fitness and pace it would take between 1.5-2hrs.

ps i have seen sea kayaks moored up at the beach a couple of times so it is do able, but it would need to be a very calm day with the wind being kind(its always windy round here) following the coast though there are plenty of put in points(small bays) to have a rest along the way.

pps Prawnster i didnt take my rod with me but judging by the size of the fish the seal was chewing on, there are good size ones out there already,and there are plenty of rocky out crops to fish from.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE