BCUK Meetup - Archive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
right, the leave pass has gone in so i'll be there (assuming it gets approved) i'll be getting the train down on the friday arriving around 1600 so i'll see everyone there.
can't wait.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
What are the rules for fires and stuff at this site? I am fairly new to the forum and havnt been to a meet before so am unaware of the protocols... I do dark age reenactment and in the living history village we are not allowed fire directly on the ground - usually because it is an archeologicaly sensitive site - and as such I have in my posetion a 1 metre square fire box that sits 8" off the ground - would it be advisable to bring this along? or do we all rely on stoves?

Cheers

K

kailani

not sure exactly what i'm letting myself in for but i think i'm going to book some time off for this too.

shanec

May 11, 2005
Didcot, Oxford
I want to come to this and ive never been to an event like this also never really camped out proplery, i asked Buckshot what he thinks i should bring ( i dont really have anything but i think i can get hold of most of this stuff ) so could anyone please add on to this...

Stuff to take:
Tent, sleeping kit, wash kit, change of clothes, food, cooker (if you want, there will be a comunial open fire to cook on), beer for the evenings around the campfire.

Is there anything else anyone can add please?

And one other thing, will i need to pack up all my stuff every morning and carry it around with me? or is it safe to leave it all there? do i need to bring a big rucksack to carry everything?

Thanks, and hope to see you all there :)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Bardster said:
What are the rules for fires and stuff at this site? I am fairly new to the forum and havnt been to a meet before so am unaware of the protocols... I do dark age reenactment and in the living history village we are not allowed fire directly on the ground - usually because it is an archeologicaly sensitive site - and as such I have in my posetion a 1 metre square fire box that sits 8" off the ground - would it be advisable to bring this along? or do we all rely on stoves?

Cheers

There’s a main fire area which is quite big, most of the fire stuff will go on there. If it’s not an inconvenience to you then it might be a good idea to bring the box, but it’s definitely not necessary. A lot of people will cook on stoves for convenience sake, but however you want really.

shanec said:
I want to come to this and ive never been to an event like this also never really camped out proplery, i asked Buckshot what he thinks i should bring ( i dont really have anything but i think i can get hold of most of this stuff ) so could anyone please add on to this...

Stuff to take:
Tent, sleeping kit, wash kit, change of clothes, food, cooker (if you want, there will be a comunial open fire to cook on), beer for the evenings around the campfire.

Is there anything else anyone can add please?

And one other thing, will i need to pack up all my stuff every morning and carry it around with me? or is it safe to leave it all there? do i need to bring a big rucksack to carry everything?

Thanks, and hope to see you all there :)

shanec

The list you’ve got sounds fine, there’s no need to bring a huge amount of stuff.
There will be no need to pack up any of your things, they can just stay in place for the whole weekend, so, no need for a huge rucksack. Cars can access the area to drop things off, but then they’ll get parked in the car area at a different location on the estate.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
For those coming by train - "Goring and Streatley" is the nearest station, not Cholsey. Cholsey is nearest as the crow flies, but the wrong side of the river, so needs a big detour to get to it.
Is anyone coming upto hardening my knife blanks while we are there ??
Cheers
Rich

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
For those coming by train - "Goring and Streatley" is the nearest station, not Cholsey. Cholsey is nearest as the crow flies, but the wrong side of the river, so needs a big detour to get to it.

Cheers for the advice Rich.... :D

Ed

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
That's a hard one at the moment. I'll try and find out in more detail what the preference is of people that are doing things and get the info up. I know that Woody is doing tracking on Sunday, I expect that there will be bow making Sat and Sunday as we've got bamboo bows and flat bows being demonstrated and made, Archery will probably be done over a couple of days, as will the knife making and probably the canoeing.....

The thing about the meets is that people are happy to talk to you about all sorts of things at nearly any time, so if there's a question you have you can just arrange a time to talk to the person you want to, it works really well and people are incredibly generous with their time.

I'll see what I can sort out and post it on here.
;)

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Tony said:
That's a hard one at the moment. I'll try and find out in more detail what the preference is of people that are doing things and get the info up. I know that Woody is doing tracking on Sunday, I expect that there will be bow making Sat and Sunday as we've got bamboo bows and flat bows being demonstrated and made, Archery will probably be done over a couple of days, as will the knife making and probably the canoeing.....

The knifemaking will take a few hours, but not quite as many as last time as I'll be making a blacksmith-style knife (so I don't need to fit a handle!!!). Might make a spork too if there is time.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I am seriously considering coming to this; perhaps with the friend that I mentioned would be coming on my trip to the Lake District/Scotland.

I may be coming by train - I'll PM Tony if I know I am. Alternatively, Mum may drive me up. She seems, well not concerned exactly, but...sees it as a point to consider, that I will be camping with strangers.

Still, looks like I'll most likely be coming.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
It would be good to have you and your friend, your Mum is right to make coming to the event, a point to consider, it is a bunch of strangers!

If you can make it, fantastic, there will be loads to learn and talk about and you’ll have a great time. If you can’t make it, then no worries, there’s lots of opportunity for getting together with people that can help you along.

Yggdrasil

May 18, 2005
Stevenage, Hertfordshire.
Im slightly having the same problem convincing my parents but i think me and my dad will come down on the sunday and then i'd stay untill monday. One of my friends may be coming too.
How old are u bibblesby?
im 17 :)

~yggdrasil~

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I can't imagine why parents should be concerned. Packing their youngster (no offense intended ;) ) off to camp rough in the middle of nowhere with 30+ knife and axe wielding pyromanic wool wearers :D

LOL. I dragged my mum along to the last meet in Wales, . I am 28 so my mum has almost stopped worrying about me :rolleyes: Though she wussed out of actually camping, she had a great time, got on well with everyone and came away saying that it was the most friendly and normal group of people that she had met in years.

Realistically, you are far better off camping at a meet with a load of strangers, than camping somewhere remote all by yourself. There is just a better class of strange people at bushcraft meets :D

jakunen

Native
Just been asked a good question...

Can we pay at the meet, same as last August? I'm hoping DSS will have actually given me some money by the meet (only been waitign THREE MONTHS.

Oh, and has the price been fixed?

BTW, will you Mum be there 'Hugh', (can't remember her name:eek: ). She was a GREAT laugh...

Jak.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Yggdrasil said:
Im slightly having the same problem convincing my parents
Well - they respect my freedom. She doesn't mind me going, actually she thinks it's great, but she wants to meet or talk to somebody in person. Dad's expressed an interest in coming anyway, so it's all dandy. Looks like my friend can't get the time off work, so he won't be coming.

Yggdrasil said:
How old are u bibblesby?
16 :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE