BCUK Bushmoot 2008

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Wow, what a time! I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the Moot, so big thanks to Tony and Shelley and everybody who helped run the show and took their own time to run workshops. Big thanks to the members of Coffee Table Camp, who were the greatest company I have had yet at a meet up. Shame Mick had to leave early, you were missed! Thanks also go out to Mors, I could have listened to his anecdotes all day, but the jam knot and magical way of tying the sheet bend are some of the things I will be taking away with me.

Thanks also to the Lords for the flint knapping and a the humerous stories of their good friend Phil Harding. I thoroughly enjoyed every moment, even if some of it was compounded by frustration. Also, I've read Johns' book already, is there another?!

Thanks to Marcus for the wildfood walk and also for the cook up with Neil (I think!), I thoroughly enjoyed it and have tried to make the dumplings to show my wife. I obviously left something out as they are nothing like the ones you made! :rolleyes: I will be trying the recipes in your small book.

Thanks also to Sandsnakes for the medical lesson, and AndyE for manipulating my widdle spot! The accupressure was quite strange and I am going to try this more often. Your book is also jam packed with info, I am going to start on that today properly.

Thanks also to anybody else I have missed out, and my apologies to anybody who I spoke to who I didn't spend too long with; I realy wanted to try and make my time at the moot one where I could meet the good people that I have conversed with for a number of years, but found I also wanted to get to as many workshops as I possibly could. Hopefully, next year I will be able to find a bit more time to speak to the people I should have spoken to this year.

And thanks to Dave Budd and George for various anecdotes nd showing your skills. I spent a time talking with Dave before I went flint knapping, and also watched him make a blade on his forge. very interesting indeed, and a very nice guy. George and his father were also very nice folk, and I tried to make one of those whistles you showed us George but I think the sound hole is too big. I'll have another try.

So, all in all, a great time. A few moments were a bit iffy, and I had cause to just stop and explain to a few about their knife usage. Thankfully, they were very interested in the safer way of using a knife, but I urge everybody new to knives, or not quite so profficient as they maybe at first think they are, to stop and consider their actions before they start, especially when carving where there are kids running about. A number of people were running about with bandages on, I hope you all heal quickly! :D

Cheers Tony!

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Not only that, but I discovered a pirate crew that that made the Naughty Corner look like Cub Scouts...:D

What do you mean Jon?
We were very reserved I thought...;)

My first role playing seesion and enjoyed it greatly. Looking forward to the Star Wars one next year!

Cheers

Mark

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I especially loved the flint knapping, something I had previously thought of as simply `banging rocks together like prisoners` Infact I loved it so much I want to do it again!

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I'm sure lots of us felt the same way that we'd like to have met, and said goodbye to, everyone there, but there just wasn't the chance on a soggy day with all the clearing up and homeward journeys to start. If I didn't get to say goodbye, my apologies, but I hope to see you next year - but stay in touch on the forum.

As the recorder of George's marvellous firemakeing challenge on the last night, I'll post up some pictures when I can. What a sport he was and I was so pleased when he finally got flame.

I'll also post up some pictures of my potjie pot and where you can buy them...oh and some instructions on how to make a copper bopper (thanks Spamel for the lead and copper end caps). I can't claim any credit for the design, but I'll post up what I've found.

Geoff

mark oriel

Bushcraft company
Hi All,
Thanks to Tony Shelly and all the mootley crew for a fantastic weekend. I really have never met such a large group of genuinely nice welcoming people, the moot is a true hoot, .I love's it.
Cheers to George for all the help and Rich and roderick. Thanks Dave for the spinning session,it really is a small world.
All the best Mark

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
Time to reflect, my wet gear is drying on a line indoors, displayed like a reminder of these 4 wonderful days! My Big Thank You to many people for many things and...

...in particular to these new friends who invited me and welcomed me at their camp in the evening. My own camp was a simple hootchy set up deep in the woods and I hadn't been able to bring any food supplies and cooking tools with me to the Moot. Instead of spending precious Moot time pushing a trolley at the local Tesco's I was sitting and sharing a meal with new friends! What a treat! A very warm feeling remains!

Smegcat

Aug 5, 2008
Liverpool
This was my first moot and had a brilliant time. Everyone was welcomeing and helpfull, and it was great to meet so many likeminded people. Can't wait for next year!

peds8045

Sep 4, 2005
Telford, Shropshire
Thanks to all the people involved with the organisation and running of the Moot, this was my first time.....it wont be my last:D It was great to meet up with old friends and new, who made the weekend a very enjoyable time.

I look forward to meeting up with the likes of Stuart, Steve (Bikething), Mick Snr and Jnr and anyone else i met up with at some of the regional (Wales) meets in the future.

The training sessions were well organised and i managed to get to most of the ones i needed to. (so much happening at the same time:rolleyes: )

Special thanks to Bardster and Longstrider for sorting out my knives.... i now understand why Longstrider has such a large knife:eek:

Thanks for a great time.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
the only problem with the moot is that just about every body Ive told about it wants to go next year!
I told them they aught to join the forums first and meet the crew ;)

bramble

Mar 4, 2008
Shropshire
Thanks everyone for a brilliant moot, it was our first, and it was just what we, that`s me and the `twiglets` (kids) needed. To be able to find a few simple, hasstle free, quiet and relaxing days in this plastic, mechanical, mundane world was just great. With the added bonus of seeing old friends, making new friends, learning new skills and generally having a very brilliant, unforgettable time. (needs to be longer next year, pleeeeease:).
Special thanks to Toddy for the friendly welcome shown to us all, and hanks for returning me marmite, but you could have hung on to it, i`ll make sure i bring some next year, so i`ll see you there, ok.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Thanks everyone for a brilliant moot, it was our first, and it was just what we, that`s me and the `twiglets` (kids) needed. To be able to find a few simple, hasstle free, quiet and relaxing days in this plastic, mechanical, mundane world was just great. With the added bonus of seeing old friends, making new friends, learning new skills and generally having a very brilliant, unforgettable time. (needs to be longer next year, pleeeeease:).

Glad you and the twiglets (marmite covered bread sticks) enjoyed yourselves pity I missed it but myself and T1tch are down for the next one, you are truly a mother who is leading by example.you and others like you should be very proud of yourselves

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
I thoroughly enjoyed myself, seldom have I spent a weekend with such a large group of well mannered and friendly people. The flint knapping with Will Lord was superb, I think I now have the bug, one to add to cordage making, spoon carving, whittling, trap making etc. etc.

Listening to Mors on Sunday brought a smile to my face, you can tell that that man is a fount of information and practical experience, all delivered with humour and humility in equal measure.

It was great to put a few names to faces, Spamel, Addo & Bimble to name but a few; the only low point for me was having to leave on Sunday, the joys of being self employed I guess. I left having learnt much and I'm very much looking forward to the next one, thanks to everyone who volunteered their services for free, both in terms of workshops and information and a massive thanks to Tony, Shelly and all the mods!

leon-1

Just like to say it was a pleasure to see you all (new and old) and large thanks go out to Mary + Russ (it was a pleasure to meet you both) and all those that ran work shops and helped out at the moot.

A huge thank you has to be extended to Tony, Shelley and Stuart for the vast amount of ground / leg work that they carry out to organise the moot and that they carry out at the moot itself, it's truly appreciated.

Another big thank you has to be extended to Mors for his time and knowledge. Also a huge thank you to Mors for the gift and I hope to see you again soon.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
As all the others: I had an excellent time on my first, and certainly not last, moot :D
It was great to finally meet people you normally only speak on the forum. As I was pitched at the Mods'spot: a big thank you to Chris, Dave, Matt, Sargey, Mark (thanks for the warm up), Ed, Neil (thanks for the cris-cross pothanger thingy) and Leon (great laughs) for giving me a more than welcome feeling.

Will and John Lord for the flintknapping course on sunday morning, Rachel for the plantwalk, Stuart for the watertalk and other small chats we had, idem for AndyE - great to have met you mate!

Many thanks to everyone who had a hand in organisation in any shape or form!

Special thanks to Shelly and Tony: :drive: and everything else you've done to organise this for us :notworthy thanks mate!! (didn't had any nightmares ;))

Hope to see you all sometime soon!

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
Monkeytrousers and I had a great time - good to meet various people face to face and make new friends - really enjoyed tracking with Angie and Rhoda, spirit tracking with Geoff (will try more of that these hols and see where it gets me...), plant walk with Rach, and Yoga in the woods (Mrs N very jealous). Both of us spent almost a whole day watching 'magic' Dave Budd - makes you realise why knives were such prized things in the old days, learned new skills (like making fire with a steel striker) and practised old ones, met another Sol and another Eden! Tested new home-made tarp (we stayed dry). Fan-flipping-tastic all round - well done the Mootley Crew!

N
(Eden)

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Just to add my bit to the chorus of appreciation and thanks:

Top credit must go to the big guy and his team for making it happen in the first place - a tremendous achievement. Next to all of the folk who generously shared their time and knowledge during the various workshops and in conversation, and finally a personal thanks to Cobweb for helping me out with the kids when I got myself into a bit of a mess!

The kids incidentally have made it quite clear that we will be going next year too!

Right, now that shower has passed I might be able to dry some more gear out!!

Regards

DHD, Mrs DHD (who is trying to think of a forum name for herself!), Freya & George

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
My god it was mint what an ausome time i had and also meet tones of peaple like
mad dave,
the captain,
womble lancs
womble
spike
cath
suzanne
rich
andy
fiona
mors
just to name a few cos anyone else i met but have not mentioned well i am aufully sorry.
yes i will be going next year and i am all ready looking forward to it

signed drew dunn

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE