New from maker of Sissipuukko.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Is that M23 ranger a bit expensive
I've been talking to Peltonen and the expense of it came up, the thing thats pushing the cost up is the Kydex sheath. There's also been a steep increase in the cost of the blades (steel, manufacturing etc) that's had an impact. The other knives will be going up in price from April which will seperate the two bigger knives from the M23 a bit further in price.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I asked Peltonen about availability and they said that Lamnia and others will probably have them in stock next week. Apparently, Moonraker have expressed an interest in stocking them but nothing firm yet. Later in the month, you will be able to order them direct from Peltonen - so that's another option.

Following on form my post above...
They're looking to have a number of dealers in the UK, Moonraker is one of them with a stock of the M95 and M07 models, and The Bushcraft Store is one of them and will soon have a full stock of Peltonen knives as you can see HERE

Last edited:
Reactions: chimpy leon

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Well, my M23 pikkusissi has just dropped onto my doormat. I ordered one in coyote brown from Lamnia - hats off to them for a very efficient service.

The knife is very well made and is sent absolutely razor sharp out of the box. It comes with a ten year guarantee and with a variety of ways of carrying it, including neck and side carry, the latter using the peppered strap-thing on the kydex sheath.

It is a very handsome but entirely practical blade shape, made of 80CrV2 steel, hardened to 62 HRC. The handle, made of a sort of rubbery material, feels comfortable in the hand.

So much for initial impressions. I'm now going to get to know it a bit better and will feed back my findings, should that prove useful. However, initial observations are entirely positive; I think this is going to be a really useful cracker of a knife!
How are you finding it?

I've just had one arrive for review, along with the M95 and M07, it's a lovely little knife.

Peltonen knives.jpeg

Reactions: Herman30

Springchicken

Aug 29, 2005
Northants.
How are you finding it?

I've just had one arrive for review, along with the M95 and M07, it's a lovely little knife.

View attachment 86868
The M23 is an absolute gem. I have used it for a variety of bushcrafty tasks - carving a spoon, making a try stick and feather sticks - and it has performed faultlessly on each one. I was going to offer up a review with a few pictures but, at this stage, this little cutting tool goes with me everywhere and I just know that I can rely on it. It is superb... utterly superb!

I'll be very interested to read your review of the range once you've had a chance to get to know them all.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Please do offer up a review of your usage and experiences with the M23, you're well ahead of me in using it and what you've already covered will likely be more than I get to do with it. The more the merrier as they say!

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
Handy looking little knife these.

I fancy one in orange but I’ll take whatever lands in the U.K…
Not found anyone here who stocks them yet though.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Thanks Turnip, they must have just got them in at Moonraker.

In orange too. I’m liking that M95 but have just got my Terävä 140 shaving sharp and the Peltonens seem to have that secondary bevel so I cant really justify the M95.

The M23 looks to be a zero grind? But I’ve also just got my little wooden handled Moras super sharp too. My wallet would thank me if I put this thread on ignore! A Lionsteel M4 seems to have arrived yesterday.

• Haha
Reactions: scruff and Robbi

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
In orange too. I’m liking that M95 but have just got my Terävä 140 shaving sharp and the Peltonens seem to have that secondary bevel so I cant really justify the M95.

The M23 looks to be a zero grind? But I’ve also just got my little wooden handled Moras super sharp too. My wallet would thank me if I put this thread on ignore! A Lionsteel M4 seems to have arrived yesterday.

Not too sure if it has a secondary bevel or not but I am kind of intrigued by the hardness; a stated 62 HRC is higher than I would expect this steel to maintain good toughness, but I’m certainly not complaining.

Last edited:

Springchicken

Aug 29, 2005
Northants.
I've now had a bit of time to get to know my M23 and so I offer this little review with my findings.

I find myself using smaller knives quite a lot nowadays. When out in the woods, I still carry and utilise a 'standard' (c. 11cm blade) knife but the shorter, finer blades are easier to use and, in many ways, just as efficient. This prompted my interest in Peltonen's new model.

20240416_160943.jpg

The picture gives you some idea of the M23's size. Below are a Ben Orford Pixie, an Orford Campcraft and one of the Terrava models - I can't remember which. Certainly, there's not a lot in it when it comes to blade length; however, the M23 does have a much finer point on it than the others. I suppose this could be one of the factors driving the stated hardness of 62 on the Rockwell scale - it's a way on ensuring the fine tip does not get damaged.

I tried a fairly usual little battery of tests with the M23. It throws a pretty good shower of sparks from a ferrocerium rod and was very nimble in creating curls for a feather stick, in this case, hazel:

20240411_115030.jpg

It proved very handy when producing a slightly hurried try stick 'lite'. I know that there are a good number of additional cuts one can include on a try stick but I prefer to practise the ones I am likely to use, hence its pared down appearance:

20240411_115059.jpg

Inevitably, a spoon came next. This was carved from a piece of recently felled quince. Although splitting the log and carving the bowl utilised different tools, the rest was done with the M23. It proved to be really wonderful, particularly around the shoulders of the bowl and the junction with the handle. Because the blade is short, it was simplicity itself to maintain control of the cuts; equally, the fineness of the tip made carving the curves very straightforward.

20240416_161146.jpg20240416_161204.jpg

The design of the spoon has a long handle to get into the corners of the dehydrated meals more readily. I will be using this one on my outing along the Southern Uplands Way later on this year. It has been baked and finished with walnut oil. I apologise to the purists out there: it has a sanded, rather than carved, finish as that's what I prefer!

In conclusion, then, I have found the M23 to be a superb and capable cutting tool that would be a worthy addition to any bushcrafter's 'normal' knife. It is shaving sharp out of the box, very comfortable to use in the hand, is very well made and finished. I'm not sure it will oust my Pixie from its position as my second knife but I have found myself carrying it everywhere and using it regularly because it is a delight to use.

There was an earlier comment about its price when compared with the Terrava equivalent to which I would say the M23 is a superior knife in every single way and so is worth the extra you pay for it.

To anyone thinking of getting a second, smaller blade, I would thoroughly recommend the M23.

Attachments

• 20240411_115132.jpg
    20240411_115132.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240411_115147.jpg
    20240411_115147.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 2

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
I've now had a bit of time to get to know my M23 and so I offer this little review with my findings.

I find myself using smaller knives quite a lot nowadays. When out in the woods, I still carry and utilise a 'standard' (c. 11cm blade) knife but the shorter, finer blades are easier to use and, in many ways, just as efficient. This prompted my interest in Peltonen's new model.

View attachment 87076

The picture gives you some idea of the M23's size. Below are a Ben Orford Pixie, an Orford Campcraft and one of the Terrava models - I can't remember which. Certainly, there's not a lot in it when it comes to blade length; however, the M23 does have a much finer point on it than the others. I suppose this could be one of the factors driving the stated hardness of 62 on the Rockwell scale - it's a way on ensuring the fine tip does not get damaged.

I tried a fairly usual little battery of tests with the M23. It throws a pretty good shower of sparks from a ferrocerium rod and was very nimble in creating curls for a feather stick, in this case, hazel:

View attachment 87077

It proved very handy when producing a slightly hurried try stick 'lite'. I know that there are a good number of additional cuts one can include on a try stick but I prefer to practise the ones I am likely to use, hence its pared down appearance:

View attachment 87078

Inevitably, a spoon came next. This was carved from a piece of recently felled quince. Although splitting the log and carving the bowl utilised different tools, the rest was done with the M23. It proved to be really wonderful, particularly around the shoulders of the bowl and the junction with the handle. Because the blade is short, it was simplicity itself to maintain control of the cuts; equally, the fineness of the tip made carving the curves very straightforward.

View attachment 87081View attachment 87082

The design of the spoon has a long handle to get into the corners of the dehydrated meals more readily. I will be using this one on my outing along the Southern Uplands Way later on this year. It has been baked and finished with walnut oil. I apologise to the purists out there: it has a sanded, rather than carved, finish as that's what I prefer!

In conclusion, then, I have found the M23 to be a superb and capable cutting tool that would be a worthy addition to any bushcrafter's 'normal' knife. It is shaving sharp out of the box, very comfortable to use in the hand, is very well made and finished. I'm not sure it will oust my Pixie from its position as my second knife but I have found myself carrying it everywhere and using it regularly because it is a delight to use.

There was an earlier comment about its price when compared with the Terrava equivalent to which I would say the M23 is a superior knife in every single way and so is worth the extra you pay for it.

To anyone thinking of getting a second, smaller blade, I would thoroughly recommend the M23.
I'm intrigued by that bottom blade, anyone know what it is.?

Apr 21, 2024
West Virginia
They made the steel or had some part in the production of Sissipuukko.

I look up M95 and some sites even use Fiskars in the name. I studied up on this knife back in 2011 or so. I wanted one but Mora 2000 was so much better priced.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
J-P Peltonen who is the maker of Sissipuukko used to be in Fiskars village. The company Fiskars have never had anything to do with Sissipuukko or Varustelekas knives. Fiskars company used to make steel but sold that part of their business in the 50´s. https://fiskarsvillage.fi/en/

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Fiskars village interesting drink tap.

Veitsitehdas_6885_LoRes-1856x694.jpg

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
The company Fiskars have never had anything to do with Sissipuukko
You may well be right but I have somewhere a faint memory that they might have been involved in making the bayonets that Peltonen used for his first sissipuukkos, don't really remember well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE