Basic Meds

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I've got a little lucky dip bag with the this lot in:
Paracetamol,
Ibuprofen,
Bisodol, (I'm rubbish at remembering my omeprazole)
Bum stop / bum go.
Antihistamines
Aspirin
Haribo golden bears.

Classy people like you and me make this world so vibrant !! :)

Reactions: Oliver G

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I carry paracetamol and ibuprofen, about 20 of each. I keep them in my possibles pouch with all the other bits and bobs. They're not for emergency use are they so they don't need to be on me 24/7.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Paracetamol
Ibuprofen

Did try to combine them with just Nuromol earlier this year, but none of the pharmacies I went to had it stocked.
Tescos now sells Nuromol, just picked up pack. £4 for a dozen, less if have a club card.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
If you are going to pack antihistamine then pack Piriton that you can only get from a pharmacy. Nothing else is as effective on dealing with inflammation caused by stings.
Pirition is a drowsy med so be careful with it. I would carry Cetirizine hydrochloride which you can get from a supermarket for a quid. You really need to know how these are going to effect you before taking them as they odd meds. Some people pack the drowsy ones on purpose so you have a sleeping tablet as well.
Also make sure to eat something before taking Ibuprofen so you might want to keep a bar with them.
I also carry Sudocrem, Tiger Balm (Red) and Banana Boat Aloe Vera Gel (Doubles as burn gel). Check it works for you however arnica gel is useful as it speeds up healing.
Something to remember is that all these meds have a shelf life and need to be swapped out. I do it on a yearly basis and the ones from kits are the ones I use day to day. I carry 2 doses EDC, 3 days backpack. Not sure if it makes sense however I do not have these in my first aid kit as I tend to set that up as for anyone to use. Might be a first aid at work thing.

Reactions: Toddy

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
For my prescription meds I make up a weeks worth of small packets each containing a day’s dosing regimen (breakfast doses, lunch doses, supper doses, and bedtime dose) every Mornimg after breakfast I pocket the remainder in the packet as well as a bottle of nitro pills and a few cough drops.

I keep a small amount of pain OTC pain meds, a tube of hydrocortisone, a tube of topical antibiotic cream, an antidiareal med, and an allergy med all either in my pack or in the truck.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So a bit of a bump for this and a bit of an idea. Maybe one for those with a 3D Printer to have a go with. ( feel free to send me a sample if you do please!!)

If one could have a credit sized "card" , thicker than normal say 5-7mm , with all the various meds ( two of each ) within in that could be carried in a wallet or purse pocket. I think that maybe worth carrying?

The boo-boo card would have to be 3D printed to have various alcoves left for the various meds to slot into and some sort of way to be identified.
The card could then be sealed in one of those heat shrunk envelope packet things so its at least hermitically sealed.

Maybe also include a few decent elastoplasters on the reverse side of the card ? some fold flat tweezers? maybe scalpel blade? steriswab antiseptic wipe- all within the sealed envelope

Just a semi-disposable ( once you've open it to gain access you bin it off ) addition of meds in a wallet for EDC.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Minotaur

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Honestly ? I'd just buy the really thick mini zip bags and use those. They lie flat, they're pretty waterproof and they're very transparent.

The ones I mean are the ones sold for jewellery wallets. They are much thicker than the usual ones.

Pm me an address and I'll put some into an envelope and post if you want.

A few small ones will easily fit in a slightly larger one and it'll lie as flat as a wallet.
Like these.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Honestly ? I'd just buy the really thick mini zip bags and use those. They lie flat, they're pretty waterproof and they're very transparent.

The ones I mean are the ones sold for jewellery wallets. They are much thicker than the usual ones.

Pm me an address and I'll put some into an envelope and post if you want.

A few small ones will easily fit in a slightly larger one and it'll lie as flat as a wallet.
Like these.
Wouldn't the meds end up getting squished and broken up in those?

This maybe a man /woman thing - I tend to keep my wallet in my pockets of my trousers and can get compressed a tad.

Having a purse in a handbag may mean that doesn't occur as much?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They're really surprisingly robust, and since the meds come in blister packets anyway, even if you just want a couple, just cut off a piece of the plastic/foil and round the corners. Tuck that into one of the wee bags with a clear label if the foil's not showing exactly what the pills are.

I worked away from home. I worked on hard dirty sites, everything from hills to forests, mud to farmlands. I have allergies to insect bites, so the pills were a necessity.
The wee bags work. They keep things as clean as possible without being a burden to carry in a pocket.
Easy to refill, to replace, see exactly what you need, etc.,

Those little bags I mention come in tiny sizes, 3cm square sort of size, as well as larger ones. They are much better quality than the usual mini zip bags.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I keep a few of mine in a soft specs case. There are two that I take daily and an antacid that I use about once a month but wouldn’t want to be without.
At the moment a tab of warfarin is two weeks supply - I wouldn’t want to carry any less. All meds are in their foil wrap and only the bigger antacids very very occasionally break. If I wanted I could add tweezers, plasters, a disposable mask and some paper handkerchiefs but they are in my first aid pouch anyway.
The specs case is right by my bed/sleeping bag for rapid access.

Few 3D plastics are food safe (I asked my son to print a chopping board and he didn’t want to) and the pills are sealed anyway.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Reactions: Chris

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
What basic Meds do people keep in their Medical kit for everyday travel.
Nothing major - just day to day nonsense boo-boo's

Anti Histamine
Ibruprofen
Antidiarrheals
Aspirin

What else?
Bicarbonate of soda.. practical and medical uses. I use it everyday to treat things..https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/baking-soda-benefits-uses#bottom-line

Attachments

• 50 Survival Uses for Baking Soda _ Urban Survival Site.pdf
    787.9 KB · Views: 1

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE