Basic kit trip, and some core skills practice. Pic Heavy.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I managed to escape to the country this weekend for a short while, and decided to camp out using mainly old fashioned equipment, and practice some of the well known bushcraft skills.

The walk in

S5001652.jpg

Natural tinder on the way, grasses.

S5001653.jpg

Arrived with just one bag, and gathered these parts for a bow drill set. It was a very warm day Saturday lunch time.

S5001655.jpg

The kit

Merino wool blanket £3 from oxfam, and my new favorite, but I think I'll have to do something about the colour :eek:
Canvas wrapping sheet as a tarp circa 1962 £12.50 from Anchor supplies, Billy, Milbank bag, Knife, Saw, Cup, wooden spoons, sisal cordage, water canteen, wild food recipie book and a novel, First aid kit, Ventile top and waterproof leggings,Tilly hat, Rice, chorizo, ground coffee, torch camera and my Norwegian WWII canvas Pack (free!)

S5001658.jpg

I didn't want to rough it, just get away from plastic and carry less, so I only bought 1 Litre of water, planning on gathering and cleaning the rest, from a stream.

Prep for the storm

S5001661.jpg

Bowdrill set carved, Bow with sisal cord, kindling and tinder ready.

S5001663.jpg

Now, All was going well each time the powder was produced and smoking nicely but it would go out. I carried on untill I'd tryed several things and basicly had enough due to the heat. I came to the conclusion the set was damp, and the air humid. So took the set home as time was short and I was a sweaty mess, and dryed it for a few hrs and bingo first time in the back yard.
Feels great, even when you cant do it, if you work out why and then crack it. I do like fire! I used the sisal cordage again.

S5001690.jpg

S5001694.jpg

Reckon even though I got good wood from old non punky Lime, sycamore and poplar, the outside had dried in the recent heat, but the centre (which was being used after carving) was just slightly damp. I had this happen on sets that were working fine on Demos, then stored in what I considered a dry place for a few months only to find they wouldn't work either, even though they felt dry. A bit of time with some direct (but not too hot) heat, made them work again first time.

Anyway, fire flash and birch bark did the trick, and I made a natural matress from leaf litter and two wrist thick stems. Very comfy way to sleep.

S5001664.jpg

Water was gathered, filtered and boiled, and a well earned fresh coffee was brewed, cowboy style.:)

I went for the adjustable pot hook again as its just so simple, and great for cooking in a confined space, as my friend Rob arrived around this stage, as he does when there's a fire and brew sorted! That man really knows how to take it easy :rolleyes: :lmao:

S5001669.jpg

Tea for this evening was a simple lot, as I ran out of time to properly forage some greens/roots so tried some nettles over the fire, and also simmered some and added those to the rice and chorizo. Some of the chorizo was added to the rice during slow cooking higher on the pot hook and the rest sliced and cooked on a stick. I forgot the tomato, shame as they are so good together.
It was yum. Rob had fake sausage from the freezer section of Tescos. They weren't yum :yikes:

S5001671.jpg

S5001675.jpg

More brewage though the evening and two pots of water filtered, boiled and left to cool for the morning, to have water on the walk out, as well as a brew before. I opted for good old flapjack in the morning as it saves a lot of fuss, tastes great and keeps you going.

S5001676.jpg

Spent most of the morning ducking under the tarp hiding from one of the best thunderstorms Ive camped out in. It flooded other sections of the wood, and the roads home, but we were just fine, and my canvas tarp held up well. A few drips from when my head rubbed in two places, but as its very old and not been treated by me, I think its alright considering that prolonged downpour. It was much quieter underneath too compared to Robs Decathalon tarp.

S5001684.jpg

A cracking trip out and may there be many more. Going to put the recipie book to much better use next time. I'll be gathering cattails from the wet area again, as I rather like those done in the embers, and are full of energy. Plenty of hazel and grey squirels too so have to come up with something for those :D

All the best,

Addo :)

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good stuff Addo

I like the minimal approach, I should do it more often.

Just packing for a week long canoe trip next week and I've filled a bedroom with my gear :eek:

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
A great thread nice to read and see pics of someone doing exactly what im currently trying to build up. ''Old school camping kit' eg(blankets,canvas tarp-and bedroll,wool clothes canvas pack etc) to do the same type of trips, Very inspiring.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Cheers glad you liked it. I'm camping like this most of the time from now on. Its been building up for a while with a bit of canvas here and there on trips.
The blanket was great, and I only had a thin shirt and trousers on, so with the wool clothes, hat etc I should be fine in cooler months. Ive tryed blanket camping before with another blanket that was smaller and didn't swaddle as well, but this new fella is just right.

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Old school - you know the rule!

Very nicely done mate, proper skills and proper kit. We'll have to organise a meetup with Tom and Phil in the near future, see how much wool and canvas we can accumulate in one place... :)
Cheers
Rat

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Old school - you know the rule!

Very nicely done mate, proper skills and proper kit. We'll have to organise a meetup with Tom and Phil in the near future, see how much wool and canvas we can accumulate in one place... :)
Cheers
Rat

Cheers Ratty, We must, its been too long old chap :grouphug: Nice if we could cook up some conies as well.

gsfgaz, compared to a good sleeping bag the size of the rolled blanket then not rearly. But they are good with wool clothing and even though I sleep cold whatever the sleep system, I like the idea of kipping out with a good fire and simple natural gear, like the old timers did.

I made a natural matress from leaf litter and two straight wrist thick stems for this trip, and it is far more comfy than a kip mat and only takes 1/2 hr to make.
Happy days :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE