Basha vs. Tarp => Any difference?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robotchicken80

Tenderfoot
Nov 12, 2012
Verden (Germany)
Hello again,

I was taking a look at a surplus' website and I saw a Basha (from the Australian Army I recall). It looks exactly like a tarp to me, but I am no expert...:confused:

Is there any difference between the two?

Thanks

Toni

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Basha is what the diggers (Australians) call it.

Way back in the day, we used our poncho to create a bivi (bivouac) or basha. Depending on the Regiment or mob you were in, dictated whether you called it a basha or a bivi. The phrases "basha up" or "bivi up" or "laager up" were all used interchangeably.

Nowadays DPM sheets are issued to create a basha (or bivi) and are known as DPM basha's when you see them written about.

Tarps are larger in most cases and are the civilian version of DPM bashas.

Hope this helps.

Liam

Last edited:

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
A basha is an army term to make a shelter, like most army phrases, slang we took from service overseas for example dobi is a Indian word for laundry, chit is I.d card or pass from the French chit an lieu, laarger we coined from the Boer war and means to form your wagons in a circle for defence and we use this phase when mechanised or on foot. Basha comes from the Malay campaign back in the 50s and means shelter.
We used to be issued a olive green poncho which had eyelets on the edge to attach bungees or paracord, they were just big enough to cover two people in a shell scrape. Guys used to buy oz ponchos (they were olive green in the day and couldn't be worn) because they were larger had better eyelets. We also bought civvy made camouflage ones. Then the army got wise and started to issue decent ponchos (cant be worn) which was camouflaged, bigger and had loops along the sides as well as eyelets, so it doubled up as a quick stretcher for casevac. A tarp is the same thing as an army basha, just different companies gear towards civvies making large or small and usually not as strong as one used by a daft soldier

robotchicken80

Tenderfoot
Nov 12, 2012
Verden (Germany)
Hey great answers there!

I forgot to mention a couple of things: I am not a native English speaker (I am Spanish) and I never served in the Army, so there are a lots of words that are new to me (specially if they come from the military).

I really appreciate your answers, specially the ones with a bit of extra explanation / historical background. They help to improve my English!

Thanks guys!

Cheers

Toni

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
Is Australia we would call it a hootchie (various spellings). A basha is what you Brits generally call the hootchie !
The Americans tend to call it a hootchie too.

The difference between a tarp and a hootchie (at least in Australia) is that a tarp is generally a flat sheet with simple eyelets at the edges and corners. Tarps could be made from any material, synthetic, canvas etc

Hootchies are also flat sheets with eyelets, but also have press studs which enables two or more to be clipped together to make larger shelters. As well as the eyelets they have fabric loops which can be used to secure them. They are always made out of a light weight synthetic material (not sure exactly what fabric is used, but not canvas).

The tough design and ability to clip together makes hootchies a good choice, especially if you have more than one hootchie in your party. Just a word of warning, if you are looking on the internet there may be some variation in hootchies sizes between brands ....

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
De nada Toni.

Aussie Vic, that's one thing I miss from the modern brit army issue DPM basha; the eyelets we had on the 58 poncho.

You could, as you say, connect sveral together and it also be clipped into/around the 58 sleeping bag to make a kind of bivvy bag arrangement.

When I think of tarps, to be honest, my first thought is of the simple builders/industrial ones used to cover materiel on lorries etc.

Liam

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Isn't it hootch for the shelter (Vietnam) with hootchie meaning something like a lady in a tight dress?

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
But the person from Spain wanted to know the correct term of which Hootch is one spelling and the original. At least that is what a friend of mine who served in Vietnam with the Americans (also with the French earlier) calls them.

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
Technically, we Americans call it a "hootch", coming from the Viet Nam era. To this day, its still referred to as that though. The "hootchie" is, well, an old term for women who hang out at bars, looking for drunk sailors, lol.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Technically, we Americans call it a "hootch", coming from the Viet Nam era. To this day, its still referred to as that though......

Sorta true. Actually a "hootch" refers to the shelter once it's erected; not the actual tarp that it's made from. Likewise a "hootch" might just as well be made from bamboo and thatch or pieces of scrap tin. It's just the Vietnam era replacement term for "shack."

Today in the Special Ops community "hootch" is the slang term for the all ranks club's informal/casual bar.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE