Reputable custom (damascus) knife makers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jamesky

Mar 7, 2023
N Yorkshire
Hello, new here. I was hoping someone might know a decent company or individual I could deal with to commission a custom damascus knife. After a bit of research I've come across a couple of potential sites. Jayger knives seems a little questionable in that the English used is a little iffy (suspect it may not actually be UK based?) and the descriptions sparse (not even any info on the type of steel used in the damascus or hardening). I discounted perkins knives as they're apparently not reputable. The knives on display do look good and their offer was for ~£130-150 for the work. I saw Rory Conner recommended on here, but his damascus is a little out of my price range. (£600+)

I know damascus isn't exactly the best steel these days for knives, but I just wanted a pretty drop point companion to my nepalese Kukri that's capable of some finer (and less demanding) work.
Am I being unrealistic expecting a decent damascus knife for less than £200?
Really appreciate any thoughts or info, cheers.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
I think £200 is a little cheap for a custom knife. You’re expecting the smith to first form the stacked layer or canisters then draw it out then work a knife from it. That’s a lot of man hours. You could however buy the steel you are after and supply it to the smith already in billet form.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I was just going to say you could look to a lower cost economy, somewhere into Eastern Europe, or further. :)

Join up on Edgematters forum. You might find someone making, or someone selling second hand.

That Jayger company looks an awful lot like the business run by Tim/James Noble. Same as Perkin knives. Buying knives or blades from Pakistan and selling them as English made. Similar language on the web page, similar look to the knives. Nothing on there looks like a good practical tool.

Jamie Mackie on Edgematters is worth a look.

I agree that £200 is on the optimistic side of cheap.

While there are exceptions (they tend to be the £500+ type) a lot of folk who like making Damascus do so because they enjoy hammering hot metal and making pictures in the steel. The other aspects of knife making, such a grinding, sanding, guard fit, handle finish, and most of all, knife design as a tool, come somewhere down the list. Sometimes a long way down the list. Coming from the other side, Damascus offers no benefit in performance today, so makers who are interested in knife function and performance are less likely to use Damascus because it is purely an aesthetic thing.

I remember talking to a US smith. At the time I was hand filing knives, and was feeling rather sore that it was taking 14+ hours to finish one. He was forging, mono and Damascus, and regularly put 70+ hours into a knife.

Resale of lower cost Damascus knives can be less easy than mono steel. You can pay more, and get less back if you choose to part with it. I bought two Damascus blades from a well known US knife supply company. They were rough ground and were quite expensive (maybe £100 each). Having hand sanded, etched, fitted 416 stainless guards and nicely finished wood handles, I eventually managed to sell the knives for a little less than I paid for the blades. In contrast, the mono steel knives I made from scratch to my own designs sold fast, for more, and I was repeatedly told I under priced.

Chris

Reactions: Keith_Beef

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Join up on Edgematters forum. You might find someone making, or someone selling second hand.

To be able to reply to a sales thread on EM, you need to buy the inexpensive £5 a year subscription.

But it it a great forum, lots of makers on there and many, many very knowledgeable people.

Another alternative route is to buy a finished or part-finished damascus (or, more properly, pattern welded steel) blade and make up your own knife.

Or even just buy a piece of steel and shape it yourself. This might seem daunting at first, but especially for a small knife this can be done with hand tools or very basic machine tools (simple bench grinder, angle grinder, drill).

I've done all three (finished blade, part-finished, billet). I've not had a go at making my own pattern welded steel.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE