Base Layers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
Hi

If your looking for baselayers I can get you some Helly Hansen at trade price if you want?
I in-directly work for them so am happy to get you their stuff at trade - which is what it costs me + postage.

If you have a look at their website under baselayers and look at HH Warm thats a synthetic (polypropelene) and Merino Wool mix, so great breathability and wicking properties and warm.

Send me a msg if you want.

J

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I've just bought one of the Dutch half-wool tops http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=126&products_id=1250, as littlebiglane and redandshane have mentioned. Its excellent quality (as Dutch stuff tends to be), but I have to admit it was too itchy for me, even though I thought I was OK with wool . If you are sensitive to wool, but want something similar, you might want to try one of Endicotts Italian wool tops in green http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1625, which they say are 'Very comfortable to wear unless you have very sensitive skin'. At £9.95, its possibly worth having a go.

I have used the Swedish 'norgie' http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=126&products_id=1823 (which littlebiglane rightly recommends as a midlayer) as a base layer (as well as a mid-layer), and its pretty comfortable, although not really designed for it. For less than a tenner (and thats if you go for the very best grade), its excellent value.

Personally speaking, I think their French F1 'norgie' is brilliant http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=126&products_id=1561 - its cotton, and basically a bit like a rugby shirt, but its fine for summer mid-layer, you can wear it without it screaming 'surplus', and its so good my wife keeps borrowing it!

If your ordering from Endicotts, I'd suggest you just ring them and ask for their recommendations - they're extremely helpful.

PS - I've also just bought one of their 60 Pattern jackets http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=126&products_id=1780 - fantastic quality, and their service was great. Certainly an alternative to an M65 or DPM.
No connection with Endicotts, just the usual happy customer.

Of course, Cotswold currently have the full Lifa set for £30 on their website, which sounds very tempting...

I have found I have always been a 'sensitive soul' - ever since my mother made me tweed pyjamas and made me wear them for several years in winter. I can't tell you how difficult it was the first 10 minutes you got into them and got into bed!

What I have found is that wool still itches - but only for 10/15 mins when I put it on, then my skin de-sensitises and I don't notice any itching after that. Maybe its just me or its worth giving it a go for those who still avoid wool... :)

If anyone is looking for a child size pair of tweed pyjamas then just PM me ;)

I have recently aquired a set of new unissued u.s.forces polypropelene drawers and shirt.Its part of their cold weather system.IIRC its the set ive described,a fleece and matching trousers then the Goretex jacket and trousers.
They are very cheap and easy to get brand new.Kind of a light brown in colour.Very warm too!

The best bet is to buy them from US ebay and they come in many colours. I bought mine in black and you can buy them up to a 4xl if you are on the big side. They are so warm, they need to be worn to be believed. They are great sleeping garmets when out and about. Far warmer//tougher than any commercial stuff I've bought and worn in the past.

WS

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Woodsmoke - I saw that post too, and I had a look at them on the net. The main drawback seemed to be:

A) They were generally very brown! (the black sounds much better...)

B) They didn't seem to wash very well. I spotted one soon afterwards in my local surplus place and it looked sort of dried up and melted, and Edicotts tell me they chuck up to 50% of them because of how they've been handled before they get them.

I'd be interested to know if you have any problems with washing them, and where you get them for a reasonable price (including postage, which seems to be the big cost).

Tweed pyjamas - ouch!! I thought nylon was bad....

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
What I have found is that wool still itches - but only for 10/15 mins when I put it on, then my skin de-sensitises and I don't notice any itching after that.

Yeah, me too. I dont have particularly sensitive skin, but I do find wool itchy for a bit till I get used to it. My theory is why bother with it? I did try wool for a bit, but I find synthetics to be more comfortable, cheaper and just as good if not better. The only real advantage with wool is it's anti-smell properties. But if you are going to be out for a week or so, either take an alum crystal or just take 2 sets of underwear - it's not that much extra to carry.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
I find merino wool is all I want in cooler situations. Never have any problem with itching and really like the feeling of wool to my skin much more than synthetics.
For warm weather I wear some quick drying shirt (polyester) which is easy to wash & dry when passing a river or lake.
Would certainly try out some bamboo mix if I could get my hands on it once though, sounds like the ideal solution for hot weather...

JimmyT

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2008
Relocated to Sweden
I've tried many brands of wool or wool/mix baselayers and a few synthetics.
Of the wool layers: Ullfrotte 200g + 400g, Devold Expedition Series, Lundhags Izo Polo, Icebreaker 200, and the LL Bean River Driver Shirt, I would vote heavily in favour of the Ullfrotte (Woolpower) 200g crew neck base layer.
Over this I usually use a 100% wool Pendleton shirt and then a heavyweight wool sweater.

If I begin to overheat I just take the sweater or shirt off.
As for itching, there is none with the Ullfrotte so any other wool layers on top of this would not be an issue.
I don't find synthetics to be as warm but I have some HH which I find to be OK and would choose them in warmer seasons.
I would have to say that while I find the Icebreaker comfortable and odour resistant I can't say I rate it much for warmth.

I'll get around to trying Brynje one day when I can afford it.
Anyone had experience of these in comparison with Ullfrotte?

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.

I tried a bamboo base layer for the first time on Saturday. I wore a combination that works well for me when active in all but very cold conditions, which is a really thin long sleeved base layer ( bamboo this time ) and a thicker short sleeved one ( I've had a couple of Lowe Alpine t shirts for 5 years, the kind with two buttons at the neck. I wear them all through the year, alone in the summer, doubled up like this the rest of the time and they still look pretty new. They may be immortal ) under a windproof top.
I didn't notice that I was wearing it, which I think is about the best review that anything can get. It seemed to be very low friction as well, which I'll test out properly when I get home and go canoeing again, as I sometimes get chafed around the armpits when I paddle all day.

Cheers, Michael.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I tried a bamboo base layer for the first time on Saturday. I wore a combination that works well for me when active in all but very cold conditions, which is a really thin long sleeved base layer ( bamboo this time ) and a thicker short sleeved one ( I've had a couple of Lowe Alpine t shirts for 5 years, the kind with two buttons at the neck. I wear them all through the year, alone in the summer, doubled up like this the rest of the time and they still look pretty new. They may be immortal ) under a windproof top.
I didn't notice that I was wearing it, which I think is about the best review that anything can get. It seemed to be very low friction as well, which I'll test out properly when I get home and go canoeing again, as I sometimes get chafed around the armpits when I paddle all day.

Cheers, Michael.

Does it get smelly like synthetics or stay fresher under the pits like wool?

LBL

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Mummy got me merino last chrimo and I thank her weekly:) . I get wet a lot and hadn't realised just how good they were.

I've also got a rashy vest. If you know you're going to get wet it's the next best thing to having a wetsuit on but it's the oddest sensation wearing it. Makes you cold if you're hot as well as hot if you're cold.:confused:
Makes you smell like a a very smelly thing too. Within hours - it's brutal.

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
Late to the party, as normal, I wear base layer gear most of the winter up here in the Highlands.

I wear a Brynje SuperThermo vest most of the winter; if doing outdoorsy stuff (Coastguard) I will probably wear a l/s net shirt, with longjohns if cold.

If it is *very* cold (below -5ºC) and blowy, I have worn merino over the top of the net stuff. But it has to be cold.

Because it's net, the insulation comes from the air, and with a decent midlayer you get good moisture transmission. It also stops your shirt sticking to you, should you sweat.

I'm a passionate advocate of this stuff, but have no connection with them.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I have a drawer full of Rohan, Helly Hansen, Berghaus etc base layers.

All I wear now are my Icebreaker/Chocolate Fish bases.

Nothing else comes close for all day comfort regardless of how much sweat generated. If it gets too warm, the shirt comes off and the base suffices until I cool down.

The lack of smell is a great plus. Even after a hard day in the hills, you can sit in the pub without a large space appearing round you.:lmao:

OK it's pricey but well worth the extra, imo.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
The new bamboo baselayers (eg from Endicotts) are really amazing and what has been said about no-chafing, for those of us of a paddling inclination, is absolutely true. In fact I'm off to put mine on now as it is getting cold !

NS

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Cotswold Outdoor are doing the Helly Hansen polypropylene LS top and leggings (for men and women) on offer at £30 for the two. Have used HH polypropylene for about 20 years and I think they are excellent.

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
I've been wearing Merino over Bamboo in winter for about 3 years now and believe it's the ultimate combo. When it's really cold I add an

Angora jumper and if necessary a Pertex & Pile jacket. If you also use a deodorant stone on your pits I swear you can get away with not

changing (or your clothes becoming smelly) for over a week. I know because I've tried it ;)

TFS

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE