Paramo Or Not Paramo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
If your going to buy walking boots Stewart I’d recommend you do it in the afternoon when your feet have got to their max. size. Take your time as well.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Corranhorn1

May 30, 2021
Darlington
If your going to buy walking boots Stewart I’d recommend you do it in the afternoon when your feet have got to their max. size. Take your time as well.
Hi Dogoak,

Thank you for responding I appreciate it and thank you for the info I'll consider that on the day, normally I wear two pairs of socks for extra comfort and my feet don't get as much as a pasting with the walking!...

Regards,
Stewart

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Is it called "Basecamp Creative Outdoors"?...
That's the one. If you're passing it's worth a visit but if not and you're based in Keswick then it paramo store is good too.

It's just I like to support the little retailers when they've been a helpful as this guy was. He even brought in one of his own jackets because his shop didn't have my size in that model. This was pretty much straight after the first lockdown ended and we were able to pop up to the lakes again. He'd only just opened and everywhere was low in stock.

Iirc the station is a little out of town but it's all walkable distances for most people. About 6 minutes walk I'd say.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
If I remember rightly, the bus station is through the arcade with Basecamp Creative Outdoors in. The opposite end from the railway station direction too. It would be rude not to pop in I reckon. Penrith is a nice little town and often bypassed. It's worth a wander I reckon.

Of course if you're rushed for time after your possibly late train gets in then perhaps the Keswick bus stops at the train station on its way. I took that route a good few years ago and never went into town to catch the bus but caught it on the opposite side of the road to the station. Things are different now I guess.

Boots are very much a personal choice. It's all about what fits not what's got the best reviews or rep. Keswick has plenty of places to buy from. Just avoid Black's. George Fisher used to be good but aiui it guy taken over my a big firm and didn't feel the same last time I went in. I fear it could go the way of ultimate outdoors in Lancaster after the Black's/ go outdoors group took it over.

Corranhorn1

May 30, 2021
Darlington
If I remember rightly, the bus station is through the arcade with Basecamp Creative Outdoors in. The opposite end from the railway station direction too. It would be rude not to pop in I reckon. Penrith is a nice little town and often bypassed. It's worth a wander I reckon.

Of course if you're rushed for time after your possibly late train gets in then perhaps the Keswick bus stops at the train station on its way. I took that route a good few years ago and never went into town to catch the bus but caught it on the opposite side of the road to the station. Things are different now I guess.

Boots are very much a personal choice. It's all about what fits not what's got the best reviews or rep. Keswick has plenty of places to buy from. Just avoid Black's. George Fisher used to be good but aiui it guy taken over my a big firm and didn't feel the same last time I went in. I fear it could go the way of ultimate outdoors in Lancaster after the Black's/ go outdoors group took it over.
Hi Paul_B,

Couldn't agree more about supporting the small local businesses and Chris from Basecamp is a sound lad or at least seems that way when I was talking to him the other day, I am without a doubt going to his store on the 7th first day on Saturday morning when I get off at Penrith before going to Keswick. I've been through Penrith many times over the years. I've got the lake district in my blood from birth. My dad always had a British bike called an Ariel Huntmatser old British motorcycle, my dad was on the Ariel me as a baby and my older brother on my mother's knee in the sidecar off to the lakes every year up to my early teens, wouldn't be able to that these days with health & safety these days. We sometimes use to go twice a year, those were the days.

Corranhorn1

May 30, 2021
Darlington
Hi Paul_B,

Couldn't agree more about supporting the small local businesses and Chris from Basecamp is a sound lad or at least seems that way when I was talking to him the other day, I am without a doubt going to his store on the 7th first day on Saturday morning when I get off at Penrith before going to Keswick. I've been through Penrith many times over the years. I've got the lake district in my blood from birth. My dad always had a British bike called an Ariel Huntmatser old British motorcycle, my dad was on the Ariel me as a baby and my older brother on my mother's knee in the sidecar off to the lakes every year up to my early teens, wouldn't be able to that these days with health & safety these days. We sometimes use to go twice a year, those were the days.
Just wish I could get another pair of Brashers the best walking boots I've ever had and I've had a few pairs of Berg's and Brasher doesn't exist anymore for another company bought them out. Like most British companies gone to the wayside or abroad, look what happened "BELSTAFF," in bloody Italy, hey ho life goes on.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Just wish I could get another pair of Brashers the best walking boots I've ever had and I've had a few pairs of Berg's and Brasher doesn't exist anymore for another company bought them out. Like most British companies gone to the wayside or abroad, look what happened "BELSTAFF," in bloody Italy, hey ho life goes on.
IIRC Berghaus took brasher boots over. The founder lived near my parents village and he sold off some interesting samples at the village general store. Socks and poles from brasher but also the membrane liner of all things. Not a membrane, waterproof sock but the membrane liner bootie that goes into their boots.

AIUI a lot of the Brasher, design team, technology and approach went into Berghaus boots, at least at first. No idea what they're like now.

I think altbergs might suit you. IIRC castleberg sports used to sell altbergs in Settle. Also a small retailer who sells buffalo kit. Not aware of anywhere selling Altberg boots in keswick area.

Did you say you're from Darlington? Lovely train station there IIRC. We got dropped off there by family from Stockton to catch the Edinburgh train day after boxing Day for our first skiing holiday in Norway. We were too stressed and rushed to fully appreciate the station but I am saw a photograph in a news article just today, it's a nice station for sure

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
PS with Amazon warehouse so close your probably get really early deliveries. If they ever used drones in the UK I bet Darlington will get them early on being near the warehouse.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I have no idea about Paramo.

But if I read that you are unemployed and just need clothing to walk in the woods behind your house and don't know what's an army smock, I think we should talk about military surplus and other good low budget options.

I suggest that you open a second thread where you ask about well working sweat avoiding low budget clothing.

There is a lot of really good outdoor clothing that they throw behind you every corner.

This is a good quality boot that is affordable and every shoemaker can put a new sole onto it if needed.

Last edited:

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I'm going to stay in Keswick for three days in August to buy Paramo items Jackets, Base Layers and trousers. My main question is should I do this!...

My main problem is I sweat like a pig, trust me I sweat for "ENGLAND"

Heard good things and bad things so I don't know what to do yet, yeah or neah!...

Can anybody help me make this decision for me or help me in way possible?

Kind regards,
Stewart
Between me and my DH, we have a range of various Paramo clothes and on the whole we are very happy with them. The waterproofs are *warm*, so you need to be careful which model you go for depending on your intended use in terms of intensity and time of year (and then wear only a baselayer underneath). Thicker models are great for being out all day in winter and the thinner ones are great for hillwalking. They are more like a warm layer + waterproof layer, but that also make them very comfortable to wear all day.

The designs are a bit different and the cut changed quite dramatically some years ago, so you really want to try them all on and find one that suits your body style.

On waterproofness, some people don’t like them as their jackets leak in heavy rain and others love them as they have kept them dry in horrendous weather. As I said we have loads and most of them have been reconditioned several times and we’ve had both experiences (although overwhelmingly positive), but I can’t for the life of me figure out a pattern to it. DH runs a lot hotter than I generally and perhaps that helps to drive moisture out, but I get plenty warm when actively moving, so I’m not sure that’s the reason. The same jacket can have a run of being excellent and then start leaking, despite having reproofing done, and then go back to being fine, while others have been perfect for years of hard use. In general though, for me any leak usually starts from a specific point along/near a zip, so perhaps extra attention to them when waterproofing would help.

Reactions: Billy-o

Corranhorn1

May 30, 2021
Darlington
Between me and my DH, we have a range of various Paramo clothes and on the whole we are very happy with them. The waterproofs are *warm*, so you need to be careful which model you go for depending on your intended use in terms of intensity and time of year (and then wear only a baselayer underneath). Thicker models are great for being out all day in winter and the thinner ones are great for hillwalking. They are more like a warm layer + waterproof layer, but that also make them very comfortable to wear all day.

The designs are a bit different and the cut changed quite dramatically some years ago, so you really want to try them all on and find one that suits your body style.

On waterproofness, some people don’t like them as their jackets leak in heavy rain and others love them as they have kept them dry in horrendous weather. As I said we have loads and most of them have been reconditioned several times and we’ve had both experiences (although overwhelmingly positive), but I can’t for the life of me figure out a pattern to it. DH runs a lot hotter than I generally and perhaps that helps to drive moisture out, but I get plenty warm when actively moving, so I’m not sure that’s the reason. The same jacket can have a run of being excellent and then start leaking, despite having reproofing done, and then go back to being fine, while others have been perfect for years of hard use. In general though, for me any leak usually starts from a specific point along/near a zip, so perhaps extra attention to them when waterproofing would help.
Hi Sarah,

Wow! Thanks for the very good info and very interesting reading it is, like everyone from B.C.U.K. who have given so much valuable information, I'll read it through again in case I missed anything, relevant for me before I go to the lakes.

Stewart

Reactions: SaraR

Corranhorn1

May 30, 2021
Darlington
Hi Sarah,

Wow! Thanks for the very good info and very interesting reading it is, like everyone from B.C.U.K. who have given so much valuable information, I'll read it through again in case I missed anything, relevant for me before I go to the lakes.

Stewart
Oops! Sarah, My bad no offence intended!...

Reactions: SaraR

Corranhorn1

May 30, 2021
Darlington

Boots are very much a personal choice. It's all about what fits not what's got the best reviews or rep. Keswick has plenty of places to buy from. Just avoid Black's. George Fisher used to be good but aiui it guy taken over my a big firm and didn't feel the same last time I went in. I fear it could go the way of ultimate outdoors in Lancaster after the Black's/ go outdoors group took it ove

PS with Amazon warehouse so close your probably get really early deliveries. If they ever used drones in the UK I bet Darlington will get them early on being near the warehouse.
Here's my Brashers.

Corranhorn1

May 30, 2021
Darlington
IIRC Berghaus took brasher boots over. The founder lived near my parents village and he sold off some interesting samples at the village general store. Socks and poles from brasher but also the membrane liner of all things. Not a membrane, waterproof sock but the membrane liner bootie that goes into their boots.

AIUI a lot of the Brasher, design team, technology and approach went into Berghaus boots, at least at first. No idea what they're like now.

I think altbergs might suit you. IIRC castleberg sports used to sell altbergs in Settle. Also a small retailer who sells buffalo kit. Not aware of anywhere selling Altberg boots in keswick area.

Did you say you're from Darlington? Lovely train station there IIRC. We got dropped off there by family from Stockton to catch the Edinburgh train day after boxing Day for our first skiing holiday in Norway. We were too stressed and rushed to fully appreciate the station but I am saw a photograph in a news article just today, it's a nice station for sure
Hi Paul_B,

You've probably heard of Grisport, an Italian walking boot some websites state it's the closest boot to a Brasher whether that's true or not.

Do you know anything about them and if they are available locally?

Kilbith

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2013
South West
I use Paramo (hilltrek) jacket in winter in Lapland with great success.

But it is not enough versatile for winter in mountain (Pyrénées : you could have cold and sun and heavy works) : it is too often very hot.

Outside deep winter condition : It is probably at is best under gentle rain under 5°C and/or when you walk mostly on flat (little effort).

(of course : you must clean it often with nikwax)

Here in lapland, february, one week hiking from hut to hut. Sorry not a very good picture (wife effect).
z16c.jpg

Last edited:

Corranhorn1

May 30, 2021
Darlington
Hi Kilbith,

Thankyou for replying. As for your picture I've seen worse looking ones, so all respect a honour to your wife for being their in the first place.

I'll be going to Keswick in August for three days and stopping off in Penrith to go to "Basecamp" store for all my Paramo gear which was recommended by one of the Bushcraft guys, I've finally decided to gi for the Velez light Adventure Smock Pumpkin colour, Cascada 11 Trouser, base layers don't know what yet, Bentu Fleece maybe!...

I'll go through all this and discuss it with Chris from the Basecamp Store he's very knowledgeable on everything Paramo.

So thankyou for your suggestions really appreciated as with all the Buscraft guys I had absolutely no clue or no knowledge what so ever before joining "Bushcraft UK"

Kind regards,
Stewart

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Hi Paul_B,

You've probably heard of Grisport, an Italian walking boot some websites state it's the closest boot to a Brasher whether that's true or not.

Do you know anything about them and if they are available locally?
I use Grisport safety boots at work. Solidly built. The inner sole is atrocious though. If their hiking boots use it too then that's one negative that needs replacing straight away.

The leather feels heavily nikwaxed up from the box. Kind of oily. They're a bit scuffed now but I'm not sure if I could use black shoe polish on it with the obvious factory applied water resistant treatment. Mind you the spec list only has weather resistance listed. Safety work boots must have stricter waterproof tests than hiking boots as these are not technically water proof.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE