Paramo Or Not Paramo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Corranhorn1

May 30, 2021
Darlington
I'm going to stay in Keswick for three days in August to buy Paramo items Jackets, Base Layers and trousers. My main question is should I do this!...

My main problem is I sweat like a pig, trust me I sweat for "ENGLAND"

Heard good things and bad things so I don't know what to do yet, yeah or neah!...

Can anybody help me make this decision for me or help me in way possible?

Kind regards,
Stewart

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Worn one once did not get on with it. If you sweat lots, and based only on my one use, I’d avoid it at all cost.

Corranhorn1

May 30, 2021
Darlington
Hi Scoman,

It's my first time on a forum so I didn't even know if I did it right or not so thank you for replying and you're the first to!...

Thank you for the info on Paramo so I'll take that into account before I go to Keswick in August, I'll see if I get any more replies from bushcraft UK also!...

Paramo jackets I know are light and that was my thinking for getting one and for ease of packing in your bag. Can you recommend any other ones for I have a Berghaus Mera Peak, North Face and 5:11 Tactical 3 in 1 and all 3 are bulky and total pain and with all 3 my layers are soken through every time!...

So any other help you can give me is appreciated!...

Regards,
Stewart

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I only use my Paramo kit when it's cold. Certainly not for spring or summer but then I also overheat easily.

Sent from Somerset using magic

Corranhorn1

May 30, 2021
Darlington
Hi Swotty,

Thank you for replying just like Scoman, that's useful info and I appreciate it, so you recommend Paramo for winter time.

Which jacket did you get and what do you wear underneath bass layers wise?...

Regards,
Stewart

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Hi Stewart, welcome to the forum :)

If you tell us a bit more about the kind of outdoor activities you get up to people may be able to give you a yeah or nay response or give you guidance on alternatives.

Reactions: Winnet

Corranhorn1

May 30, 2021
Darlington
Hi Broch,

Thank you for replying!...

I don't do Facebook, twitter or any other things like them and a forum just found them by accident, totally behind the times.

Don't do any other activities besides walking in my localities around the Cleveland hills and the lakes when possible, just wanted to hear peoples opinions and thoughts on Paramo clothing and help me decide before August for it's a lot of money to falk out with being unemployed and I want to make the right decisions for it's a long way to go back if I make the wrong decisions with making my way by trains. So thank you once again Broch!...

Regards,
Stewart

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Difficult to advise as it's a marmite system was much as say buffalo double pile is. If it suits then you'll love it, otherwise you'll hate it.

If you're keen on paramo and want to wear it, when cooler only, then go to a main paramo dealer that has all the range in different sizes. Try them all on with an open mind and but the one that fits best. A good fit is better than anything else I reckon with paramo. Their fit is unique, unlike other brands. Different jackets and trousers fit differently. Totally different! What on paper suits you most might not fit you or suit you when you've tried it on

One more advice, there's a little shop in Penrith that's a main retailer. The guy stocks the full range in every size. The owner is very helpful and very knowledgeable. Whilst Keswick has great shops I'd only visit this Penrith one for paramo. Basecamp it's called. Only as small shop but they have the full range same can see stock at paramo just like the paramo store in keswick

Reactions: gibson 175

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Nearly forgot, I often just wear mine as if it's a softshell. I only no ever wear membrane jackets if it's raining hard but paramo you wear kind of all the time as if it's a softshell/windproof. If you walk a lot with a base layer, lightweight fleece and a windshirt then leave the outer two layers and wear the paramo as it's kind of like a thin fleece and a windshirt in one.

My current paramo is a Velez adventure light smock. It's got a totally different cut and fit to all the others including standard Velez. If you're tall and/or thin then it'll fit when the other jackets won't. I think there's one other jacket that suits tall/thin people and that's the top of the range mountaineering/ski mountaineering jacket and smock.

My new first paramo was the original Alta bought in the 80s. Very baggy and not a great design at all. All paramo jackets are so much better designed now. Back then they had some strange ideas that were contrary to what really works.

Corranhorn1

May 30, 2021
Darlington
Hi Paul_B,

Hope it's not too late for I just got in!...

Wow just trying to take all that in, thank you very much loads of info and very good info!...

The store called "Basecamp" that you just mentioned in Penrith rather than the Paramo store in Keswick, would you by any chance know if it is anywhere near the train station in Penrith?...

Regards,
Stewart

Happywalker

May 30, 2021
West Yorkshire
I use a Paramo windproof jacket that is shower proof. Combined with my army smack or buffalo it’s fully waterproof and works really well. If find it breaths really well in this combinatin
Kevin

Corranhorn1

May 30, 2021
Darlington
I use a Paramo windproof jacket that is shower proof. Combined with my army smack or buffalo it’s fully waterproof and works really well. If find it breaths really well in this combinatin
Kevin
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for that information so with me being someone who sweats for England and Yorkshire you still recommended this combination?...

Regards,
Stewart

Corranhorn1

May 30, 2021
Darlington
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for that information so with me being someone who sweats for England and Yorkshire you still recommended this combination?...

Regards,
Stewart
You mention army smock and buffalo can you show me pictures of this combination of yours for I am new to these terms and what there supposed to mean and don't know what these items even look like!...

Happywalker

May 30, 2021
West Yorkshire
The two items use are the below as my mid layer or a Sheffield made buffalo shirt.

With the below are outer layer.

I find a combination of the two works really well, keeps me warm and dry and from my experience is pretty breathable.
Kevin

Corranhorn1

May 30, 2021
Darlington
Difficult to advise as it's a marmite system was much as say buffalo double pile is. If it suits then you'll love it, otherwise you'll hate it.

If you're keen on paramo and want to wear it, when cooler only, then go to a main paramo dealer that has all the range in different sizes. Try them all on with an open mind and but the one that fits best. A good fit is better than anything else I reckon with paramo. Their fit is unique, unlike other brands. Different jackets and trousers fit differently. Totally different! What on paper suits you most might not fit you or suit you when you've tried it on

One more advice, there's a little shop in Penrith that's a main retailer. The guy stocks the full range in every size. The owner is very helpful and very knowledgeable. Whilst Keswick has great shops I'd only visit this Penrith one for paramo. Basecamp it's called. Only as small shop but they have the full range same can see stock at paramo just like the paramo store in keswick
Hi Paul_B,

Sorry it's took me so long to reply. Spoke to Chris from Basecamp in Penrith today you're not wrong about his knowledge and we spoke at length mentioned you and your recommendation of his shop, so when I get off the at Penrith I will go to his Basecamp which is about 6 to 8 mins away then go to the main bus station to Keswick to my hotel, could go to the Basecamp on the last day before heading back to Darlington.

Can you recommend a pair of good walking boots for the heels on my Brashers are starting to wear down, Chris at Basecamp said he doesn't have much of a range so I may get a pair in Keswick!...

Regards,
Stewart

Corranhorn1

May 30, 2021
Darlington
If lightweight but solid is an issue I’d go for Berghaus paclite. Packs tiny and solid.

If lightweight but solid is an issue I’d go for Berghaus paclite. Packs tiny and solid.
Hi Scoman,

Thank you for that, good info!...

I'm getting excited now everyone has been so helpful, yourself included.

Paul_B suggested going to Basecamp in Penrith rather than the official Paramo shop, so I talked to Chris from Basecamp in Penrith today and his knowledge of everything Paramo was amazing just like everybody elses on bushcraftuk and very helpful.

Regards,
Stewart

Corranhorn1

May 30, 2021
Darlington
The two items use are the below as my mid layer or a Sheffield made buffalo shirt.

With the below are outer layer.

I find a combination of the two works really well, keeps me warm and dry and from my experience is pretty breathable.
Kevin
Hi Kevin,

Sorry I didn't in touch straight away its been hectic at this end.

Thank you for sending the two links and extra info I appreciate it. Your suggestions and recommendations couldn't have been any better but the tricky bit for me is making the final decision between the 7th & 9th of August in Keswick, thank you once again, Kevin.

Regards,
Stewart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE