Bannock pan

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Looking for a pan to cook bannock in next weekend

What do you use and where did you get it from

Any help

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I use a small non-stick frying pan from Wilkinsons that cost about £1.50 or so. I replaced the plastic handle with a wooden one.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
A chapati pan works very well... you can get some with a fold-down handle.

pennamimagecopyrighted4.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The best results I have had were in my Dutch Oven - see the review - second best on a cast iron bake stone - inherited....

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Picked up a nice cast iron pan today at Ikea for just over £5 will let you know how I get on after this weekends session with the Tamarack team

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Just out of interest the pan worked very well, cooked, banock, pancakes and bacon on it in a clay oven and over a fire good value at £5

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Steve,
I use a 12" GSI hard anodized aluminium dutch oven. Been using for a number of years now. Can roast, bake, fry and generally just cook the hell out of stuff. Use it at home and at camp. Weighs in at 6lbs 2 oz, a lot lighter than cast iron ones completely non stick and has a very high "camp cooking envy factor" (CCEF) only rivaled by my Cobb oven.
Will take enough stew to feed around 10 folk... we have to make it hearty though LOL. I will say that I rarely take it for one person day jaunts... use my ancient MSR "backpackers oven" kit for that, ( not been available for a number of years though I think I have a couple spare if you want one... message me if you do).
Also when baking there's a knack as to how much in the way of coals to put above and below, again ask as I think I've a PDF guideline on it I can forward.
You can tell that my mate and I were called the "chuck wagons" in the 4x4 club I was in cant you!
You can see the GSI "Dutchy" here http://www.gsioutdoors.com/detail.aspx?c=9&sc2=60&p=50412&lu=%2flist.aspx%3fc%3d9%26sc2%3d60&
It cost me around £40 when I bought it though I think prices may have gone up since.
Never trust a thin cook.
Goatboy.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Non stick trangia pan. Whatever pan you use slow is the best way, and a domed lid on top will make it rise more. Or forget it and make/take some Staffordshire oakcakes, loads nicer! IMHO.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE