Bannock Bread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spunyarn

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2008
UK
This stuff is so easy to make, and fun too. To get it right, is a bit of an art though isn't it. My loafs have been pretty crap so far, they have all been wet and soggy in the middle, and really hard on the outside. The latest one I cooked on my chimenea in the garden seems to have cooked a bit nicer, just being surrounded by the hot embers, after the fire died down. It's still a bit soggy though, but hey, it's all part of learning.

Anybody got any tips on how to avoid them being soggy? Apart from presumably cooking them longer and slower, and using less liquid in the mixture.

Also I know that to have a measured recipe for these, defeats the object of this kind of bread, but if anyone has tried and tested ingredient lists, that they want to share, it would be great to try different sweet and savory bannocks.

Cheers

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'll give you a recipie that is not a bread, more like a pancake, but is a high calorie meal all by itself.

Mix flour and water in equal proportions. Add salt to taste. Allow to stand for at least a couple of hours.

Dice fatty pork. Unless itis the old style with a significant fat slab and some meat on the side you wil also need some cooking oil.

Heat the skillet, add the oil and the diced pork. Fry until the pork is done. There should be quite a bit of greese in the pan.

Add the batter, turn when it is golden brown on the underside.

Serve, preferably hot, if possible with lingonberry preserve.

Warning: the NHS warns that being within 100 m of one of these will clog your arterier and significantly increasy your risk of heart disease.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Bannock - Dampa

2 cups (or kuksa) of flour
Baking powder - 1 teaspoon
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (or kuksa) of brown beer
3 tablespoons butter

Mix the flour, baking powder and salt on a board (or bowl), slowly breaking the butter into the mix, then gradually add the beer, kneading the mix as you do. Shape into a loaf and then gently push into the bottom of a well buttered pan.

Bake for 35 - 40 mins, don’t open pot lid or oven door until at least 30 to 35 mins have elapsed.

Leave to air for an hour(ish).

Beer+dampa+ready+for+the+oven.JPG

DSC_0062+(1).JPG

DSC_0071.JPG

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
This stuff is so easy to make, and fun too. To get it right, is a bit of an art though isn't it. My loafs have been pretty crap so far, they have all been wet and soggy in the middle, and really hard on the outside. The latest one I cooked on my chimenea in the garden seems to have cooked a bit nicer, just being surrounded by the hot embers, after the fire died down. It's still a bit soggy though, but hey, it's all part of learning.

Anybody got any tips on how to avoid them being soggy? Apart from presumably cooking them longer and slower, and using less liquid in the mixture.

Also I know that to have a measured recipe for these, defeats the object of this kind of bread, but if anyone has tried and tested ingredient lists, that they want to share, it would be great to try different sweet and savory bannocks.

Cheers

Pretty much answered your own question.

320ccc

Jan 25, 2012
USA

try them on the stove in the kitchen until you get the hang of it.

lower and longer is better. a wet dough won't be a problem if you give the moisture time to escape.

for practice you might by a box of pancake/baking/biscuit mix. by the time you've gone through a box of it you will have gained experience and weight.

the beer will make your dough raise even more than it normally would, but will usually be a stickier dough...longer and lower again.
since you you have real beer over there it should taste extra good and be full of added nutrients.

if you can't master the baking, try to fry your dough. you'll die several years sooner but it won't be a bad way to go.

good luck!

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
The Roman army used the same recipe but rubbed in their daily olive oil ration instead of butter and didn't have baking powder. Then it was baked in a kind of impromtu dutch oven made with 2 terracotta plates/ bowls.
That recipe has been in continual use for at least 2000 years.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Real bread rather than a bannock, but worth a watch. Ray Mears bakes bread in an iron pot.

[video=youtube;4ksyivTxZzw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ksyivTxZzw[/video]

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
These breads have always intruiged me but I have never got round to actually making one, Something that is definitely on my to do list for the next time I go camping :)

These breads have always intruiged me but I have never got round to actually making one, Something that is definitely on my to do list for the next time I go camping :)

I would suggest that having a go in your kitchen a few times before trying it as 'bushcraft', with bread it's better to find out how much and hard to kneed it in the warm and dry before trying it in the wild. Fresh homebaked bread is an eye opener, it looks, smells & tastes so much better than the supermarket stuff!

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
The problem I seem to have is the actual cooking of it out in the field, in the kitchen, no problem, and have had some great success and the recipe I use seems to bring great results.
If I was to take a dutchy out there it would be easy but only having a small billy with a small frying pan makes it a challenge!!!
Any tips would be great!!
Cheers
Steve

shortymcsteve

Forager
Jan 8, 2011
Hamilton, Scotland
[video=youtube_share;7AXYqy5zFLE]http://youtu.be/7AXYqy5zFLE[/video]

Another Ray Mears video video, this one is actually Bannock. Anyone know what episode this is from?
Also the bread he made in the country tracks video looked interesting, only 3 things needed? Anyone know the exact instructions for something like that?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE