Bamboo Bow II

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Determined to produce a lighter draw weight bow, I took two six foot canes and sawed one of them in half. These two resulting canes were bound offset to the long cane, with a nine inch piece placed centrally to make the handle. The whole was lashed top to bottom

DSCF2425copy.jpg

and then laquered for extra durability and finish

DSCF2426copy.jpg

The resulting bow as a draw of around 25lbs, and a lighter arrow made up to match. Well within the reach of the scouts to use.

DSCF2446copy.jpg

Note the unequal curve on the lower limb. Too late to adjust this one, but in future I will lengthen one of the shorter canes and lash it a further 4-6 inches closer to the thinner of the two tips. In this way I hope to equal out the draw.

It shoots surprisingly well. Less distance, but with more accuracy.

Number three should be perfect ;)

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Nice one. The cord wrap looks good but I'd stop it near the tips, you are just adding weight to the bow where you want it least. If you leave it unwrapped you're likely to get a little more speed and cast and less handshock. The performance advantage may only be slight but every little helps :)

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Snufkin said:
Nice one. The cord wrap looks good but I'd stop it near the tips, you are just adding weight to the bow where you want it least. If you leave it unwrapped you're likely to get a little more speed and cast and less handshock. The performance advantage may only be slight but every little helps :)

Good tip (excuse the pun) thanks :)

Mind you, the point of the lashing is to strengthen the tips, which are the weakest points. And so far it appears to have worked. :confused:

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Stovie, may I ask a question? would placing the shorter leafs of bamboo on the inside rather than the outside allow them to work longer and help the long stave when casting a shot? CG

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Carcajou Garou said:
Stovie, may I ask a question? would placing the shorter leafs of bamboo on the inside rather than the outside allow them to work longer and help the long stave when casting a shot? CG

Hi CG.

What you suggest makes sense, in theory, but on the previous bow, the increase in tension precipitated the tips breaking. Hence this time I tried it the other way.

I may well experiment with several configurations before the year is out :rolleyes:

Tutchi

Forager
Nov 15, 2005
Scotland
:)
Hi Stovie
don't know how old you are but when I was a nipper we could get bamboo which was far superior to that which I see about now. It was darker in colour more dense and if my memory is not deceiving me was far stronger and thicker in cross-section. A relatively short length used to be able to fire a wire weighted arrow thru a tea chest with no problems. Having said this it is donkey years since I saw that quality of bamboo. Have no idea of the source at that time. Do you recall anything similar?

Tutchi
:cool:

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Carcajou Garou said:
I see, if you feather the shorter stave would that help? a nice looking bow never the less. CG :yo:

As yet I haven't tried feathering the bamboo. The problem is how much this would weaken the structure of the cane. They split so easily.

The other thought is whether splitting the cane, on the principle of fishing rods, would enhance the performance. This will turn a simple job into something more technical, but the end result may warrant the time and effort involved.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Tutchi said:
Hi Stovie
don't know how old you are but when I was a nipper we could get bamboo which was far superior to that which I see about now. It was darker in colour more dense and if my memory is not deceiving me was far stronger and thicker in cross-section. A relatively short length used to be able to fire a wire weighted arrow thru a tea chest with no problems. Having said this it is donkey years since I saw that quality of bamboo. Have no idea of the source at that time. Do you recall anything similar?

Tutchi

Morning Tutchi!

It's a frosty one... :cool:

I vaguely remember darker bamboo, my grandfather used substantial canes for tying off his prize chrysanthemums (is that how you spell it :confused: ) when I was younger (I'm 41 btw)...I think you have a few years experience on me ;) . But like you, I cannot remember seeing any of this quality in years.

As for "Tea Chests", now there's something you don't see too often. When I was 10yrs old I remember taking shelter from the pouring rain in an up-turned tea chest, after being locked out the house....?my first bushcraft experience :D

I'm at work today, so will only be able to put together a few arrows for the boys to practice with tomorrow...we're off to the woods for the day...Rabbits beware....
bowarrow.gif

Nov 1, 2005
Chicago, Illinois
Hi Tutchi,

Some bow builders here in the USA are using a type of bamboo called Tonkin Bamboo (not the fabled Tonkin cane in fly rods, but something different). It's decidedly harder through the outer power fibers, is somewhat stiffer/stronger, and frequently has gray color tones spread through the power fibers and into the culm.

Don't know if that is what you remember, but it definitely is different (and some would argue, better) than garden-variety bamboo. Not sure where to get it, but it is in use by some.

Hope that helps!
John

Tutchi

Forager
Nov 15, 2005
Scotland
Hi Stovie
have a good outing tomorrow. Hope the weather keeps up for you.

John
yes that could well be what I remember. It was more like wood in texture than what is generally available now. It was far harder to bend and could have lifted a child on the end without breaking.

Tutchi

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Tutchi said:
yes that could well be what I remember. It was more like wood in texture than what is generally available now. It was far harder to bend and could have lifted a child on the end without breaking.

Tutchi

So what are the odds on finding some of it in the uk? :rolleyes:

just found this where it says "Canes are tough, resilient and strong. They make very good plant supports and are also used for handicrafts, hop poles and pole vaulting[25, 61, 162, 195], they are remarkably stiff[162]."

Apparently you can buy it online here

Tutchi

Forager
Nov 15, 2005
Scotland
Hi Stovie
that one on the left of the extra wide pics is what I remember it being like. The pics on the thinner ones are not so clear. Mind it was long ago and it could have been Noah that had it :lmao: How did the weekend go?

Rgds
Tutchi

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Tutchi said:
Hi Stovie
that one on the left of the extra wide pics is what I remember it being like. The pics on the thinner ones are not so clear. Mind it was long ago and it could have been Noah that had it :lmao: How did the weekend go?

Rgds
Tutchi

Hi Tutchi

Weekend went well. Take a look here

I have taken bow one apart and am in the process of redesigning it to make mark III. Will post picture if it turns out as I hope it will.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE