A New Ash Self-Bow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
A New Ash Self-bow

It’s been a while since I made myself a long bow so I thought now was the perfect time.

I’d cut some straight ash logs last year and one of them has been split out into staves ready for the task; I just needed to get on with it

Here’s a quick photo trace through the process. It's a 6 foot, ash D section traditional bow and has come out a little heavier than I wanted at about 60Lb at 28 inches, but it had tillered up so nicely I’ve decided to leave it there for now – I’ll have to get some more exercise in . I've got a second one started that I'll aim to make lighter then a third at children's weight.

1 - Splitting the log with a froe

1 - splitting the log.jpg

2 - The Prepared Staves - then left to season

2 - staves.jpg

3 - Shaving the Profiles

3 - shaving the stave.jpg

4 - Scraped, sanded and oiled

4 - scraped, sanded and oiled.jpg

5 - the String Making Rig

5 - string making rig.jpg

6 - Whipping the Loop

6 - whipping the loop.jpg

7 - the Finished String

7 - finished string.jpg

8 - the Finished Bow

8 - finished bow.jpg

That's great. Shooting with a proper long bow is an experience if one is only used to modern bows.

I made a long bow at a workshop during either the 1st or 2nd Bushmoot - can't remember now - I loved that thing and used it too. I'd kept it for many, many years. Only recently losing it after moving home.

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
nicely done mate, looks good. How long did you spend on it?

It's always nice to go from raw materials to finished product, a real sense of accomplishment... Not that I've done a bow like that from scratch...

goodjob

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
nicely done mate, looks good. How long did you spend on it?

Mmm... a bit hard to tell if I'm honest because I'd walk away from it for a day or so to stop myself making rash tillering decisions :)

Probably, total time working on it as opposed to staring at it, a couple of days. As I said it's a long time since I made one so I think the next couple will go a bit faster. Having said that, the whole shave horse/shaving bit is quite Zen and I'm in no rush :)

Edit - thinking about it, that's probably not including getting the initial staves ready to season!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE