Bahco Axe issue

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Wranglerstar has done a couple of videos reviewing a Bahco axe. I will link to them below, but there appears to be an issue (Heat treatment?) in which the reviewed axe siply won't hold an edge. Worth knowing about if you plan to buy a cheaper axe!

[video=youtube;N1HNnDdHygo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1HNnDdHygo[/video]

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
...part 2

[video=youtube;FzXx8Sz30WU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzXx8Sz30WU[/video]

Now I have not tried their axes - the Laplander saw is top notch though. I hope this is not indicative of a wider problem. Wranglerstar is keeping his channel subscribers informed of what Bahco do about the problem. I'll pass on any info as I get it.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Have a feeling since Snap On took over... and shifted manufacturing around the world (think Portugal make a bunch these days), quality has declined.

I believe Bahco saws (or at least the blades) are still made in Sweden... so probably retained their value.

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
I'm a wranglerstar follower and was very dissapointed in bahco. They make great saw blades and files so why should they settle for anything other than top notch in the rest of their range. Especially when it comes to axes where Sweden is so strong. Surely they could work out a partnership with some of those companies and be putting a good product out at a great price.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I saw that video and I must say I didn't see that coming I must admit. The Bacho axes have always had a good reputation and I've often seen them recommended on here.
I was unaware that they had shifted their production base so maybe that's why. I wonder if this one had just slipped the net? I have one of those cheap Argos axes that were going for £3 a while back and the steel on that is perfectly acceptable. It take a good edge and keeps it.

He is chopping through a solid pine knot though which can easily take chunks out of axes. Even GB's. .... ask how I know :puppy_dog

All the best
Andy

Last edited:

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
The local building suppliers was flogging them off at a fiver a shot round about Crimbo.

Was very tempted but I have enough axe's already.

As a side note, I like the look of that Alpha Jack Clamp that I can see a bit of in the sharpening section (a minute in on the second clip) of the Youtube clip, looks a fair bit of kit.
[video=youtube;0n_JC0HaPk8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n_JC0HaPk8[/video]

Not seen those before, I have the Irwin ones that are a bit like it (might be called Quick Grip IIRC) but those alphas look the biz.

Last edited:

dancan

Nomad
Sep 29, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Is it possible that he thinned the axe too far back ?
Was it sharpened with a strong enough convex ?
Too many variables to be conclusive other than it's not sharp out of the box .

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Wranglerstar update...

[video=youtube;8GoQgd6ZVjc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GoQgd6ZVjc[/video]

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
The guy seems to know his axes. However, on first impressions, it seems that he'd sharpened that axe to a pretty fine point - great for shaving arm hairs, but probably not the best profile for an axe!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
He certainly knows is axes - when I saw how the edge rolled, I think its a HT problem....chipping I could understand on a fine edge - but that degree of rolling looks really soft to me.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
When he was taking material off with a file it got me worried. coupled with saying how well it took an edge. I can put a fantastic edge on annealed steel real fast and its is scary sharp...... for the first couple of cuts then its blunt. i imagine its some sort of water hardening steel that was quenched in oil and an assumption they are getting hard? maybe. Small blade pieces of water hardening steel get hard in oil but something like an axe wont. Maybe they use the same steel for the pruning blades and they get hard okay in the oil.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Files are fine, i was talking partly about the speed of the material being removed by the file but mostly the noise. it sounded kinda dull file noise, instead of the higher pitch you get with a harder steel

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I know what you mean Ash - there was no evidence of the file skating or making the "scree" noise. It did seem too soft

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Files are fine, i was talking partly about the speed of the material being removed by the file but mostly the noise. it sounded kinda dull file noise, instead of the higher pitch you get with a harder steel

Ahh. Now I see.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Another update...

[video=youtube;aORtDKdCtVQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aORtDKdCtVQ[/video]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE