Bah Humbug !.....well, glitter

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've been trying to get my Christmas cards all written this weekend, and though I'm almost done, I've got glitter *everywhere*, it's like that blasted fairy dust in the Aspirin books :(
Then I got a card from a friend and I opened it up and out fell a pile of sequins all displaying happy, jolly, christmassy messages :confused:
I'm covered in the irritating little sparkly bits, even the moggie's got them in her fur :rolleyes: The hoover refuses to get them all, I think it spreads them around instead.

I know that, "Oooh shiny! :D " is hardwired into our brains, but this is ridiculous.

And, I went shopping, all I needed was milk, salad and cat food, and the shops were heaving, there was even a pipe band outside the bank giving the Holly and the Ivy a most peculiar tartan twist, with laldy even :eek:
The shops only close for a day, what the hang is going on ??? Even if HillBill's Mayan thingie *is* right, it's not happening yet :tapedshut But ten minutes shopping took me near two hours !

My neighbours houses are lit up like, like, like.........I don't know what they're like, the energy consumption is scary though :( There must be more electric reindeer around here than even St Nick himself could use to fly his astral sledge round the world on the night.
I saw three Santas down the street, and the kids didn't bat an eyelid, just held out their hands for sweeties. Where's the magic in that ?
Frazzled parents with screaming weans having tantrums all over the place, "Ho Ho Ho, Happy Christmas!", I don't think.

Okay, I feel better for getting that off my chest :)
Off to make a cuppa and find one of the gluten free, vegan mince pies........doesn't quite work somehow :sigh:

Seasonal greetings all,
Toddy

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
You try having a birthday three days after.

And my family are `not` being obliging on presents.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Oh how I detest glitter,getting everywhere.

Esp' when i'm walking about with bits shining all over my face:(

You'd think I was a Slade groupie:lmao:

As for the sheeple,jeez, it's the end of the world if the bread van can't get to the village in bad weather one day.
In fact if it's late it's the same.:rolleyes:

I hate how busy it gets too,every one gets frazzled and good cheer is far from prevelant.

I start to growl...one of these days I'm sure I'll make the full transformation to werewolve or the like.:evilangel:

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Lets face it, we all need a big party at this time of year or the dreich, drab, dark days of winter would be a bit too much and we'd all go mental.

Here's to Christmas, hogmany, winter holiday, the solstice, hannukah, ashura and any December festivals I have missed.

Toddy, what are you doing for Xmas dinner? I have a stupendous recipe for dairy free and gluten free nut loaf if you'd like it? It goes especially well with braised red cabbage and a vegan gravy I know.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh yes please Rob :D Himself is having a venison roast. If I make the veggies to suit all of us, that would work out fine :cool:

Slade Groupie indeed :lmao: Tam that's brilliant :D

I think it's the total lack of reality (well except the bills coming in in January for folks, I suppose) that's bugging me this year. That and the near hysteria, and the total lack of any, "Oh!" factor about the whole thing.

cheers,
M

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Aw- there's still wonderment for some. My little nieces are in the country at the moment, but usually live in Cambodia - my nephews can't wait for them to get here :) And our lights and decorations won't be put up until 24th, so a lot of anticipation going on about those, too.
My father is excited this year, as he's just found radio Rudolf...hmmm.....I think he might just drive us all nuts.....yeah, you're right, Bah humbug!! ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You know ? That's what it is :)
There's no anticipation, no quiet lead up to the days, it's just a month long hastle :sigh:

Sounds like your family has it organsied for their children though :cool:

cheers,
Mary

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yeah, what is it with all the fruity smelling bathsalts, soaps, showergels, bodyscrubs, candles, etc., etc., ? It's like a very bad fruit salad, the kind that's all aspartame and no fresh fruit.

I don't know what this obsession with glitter is all about, but someone's making a mint from it.

Tengu you're lucky you still get any presents. After the kids go out to work is usually when it's only very immediate family who give gifts for birthdays.

cheers,
M

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Sounds like some good honest rebellion is needed to make the holiday and party fun again. A couple of ideas:

1) I haven't persuaded anyone to do this yet, but still think it's a good idea: celebrate at beginning of January (Orthodox church celebrate on 6th Jan, but any day would do). That way, you can avoid Christmas shops and prices by buying decorations, lights and presents in the January sales ;).

2) Instead of buying crackers, have a Christmas hat competition. Hopefully, most people will be lucky enough to have a present or two. Put the wrapping paper in the centre of the room, issue everyone with a pair of scissors and sellotape and declare the hat competition open! Examples from our household:

Would love to hear if anyone else has some good ideas :)

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
it gets in the way of business,
Freelancers and staff demand more money.
Staff take time of so they can shop for rugrats.
Couriers cant promise timed deliveries.
Manufacturers of parts i need take longer to make and deliver.
Some prat brings in mistletoe and causes everyone to get a lecture about inappropiate behaviour to the opposite and same sex.
Charities phone up and want charity rates to hire equipment for their big fundraiser which everybody else is charging full whack for.
etc etc etc

:christmas2:

i am actually a happy person, honest :p

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Today at work: 100 jars of jam and chutney gift wrapped to go into hampers and another 1000 items to go. I'm beginning to feel your pain. Perhaps I'll bung some glittery stars in the hampers as well. Just for revenge...:christmas1:

Toddy: I'll get that recipe once I've found my old work recipes from Hendersons.

(PS: Is this thread just in place to make us use all the new Christmas smilies?:angel:)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE