Bah Humbug !.....well, glitter

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Careful you lot or you will all get a visit by 3 spooks soon. Think of all the new shinies you'll get for free, and the annual reruns of the Sound of Music and the Great Escape. Then of course there's the family reunion with all the relatives you hide from for the rest of the year, drinking all yer booze and costing you a fortune in prezzies for a pair of wooly socks and a bottle od shower gel in return.........what's not to like?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's that time of year again :sigh:

Glitter, glitter everywhere,
In my eyes, in my hair,
Sparkling brightly, wee jaggy thing
the neck of it's inventor I'd happily wring.

It's everywhere,
from the door to the floor,
a magic wee sparkle
and every card brings more.

I'm fed up of selloptape,
the hoover and the wipes,
And I know you're all scunnered
with my perennial gripes.

I'm sure the stuff breeds,
hidden like the tree in the loft,
'til it sneakily invades

kind of run out of steam :eek:

Fed up of the glitter again. I've just finished writing cards and the mess is unbelievable :sigh:
There's something totally wasteful and horrible about the stuff, yet that sparkle is somehow attractive to us.

Heaven knows what archaeologists in the future will think of it :rolleyes: it's obviously, "Of ritual significance" ;)

Think on this as my e-card to you all :D

Now come up with better poetry ?

cheers,
Toddy

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I am reliably informed by my work colleagues that shiny paper and glitter is essential at this time of year, as it is apparently impossible to have a good time without it. They also tell me that not wishing to dress up like an idiot and listen to the same two dozen Christmas songs on continuous repeat for six weeks makes me a grumpy so-and-so (not quite their words), as these things are apparently necessary to being in a good mood during December.

Not being susceptible to this stupidity apparently makes me a humbug. I really enjoy Christmas, but people don't seem to get that I can enjoy it without my brain turning to mush and needing continuous 'Chrissmassy' input from glittery things and fake snow everywhere.

Oh, and the next person to send me a card with glitter in it will get a not so polite telephone request to come and vacuum up the mess that they just made on my floor. Or a Christmas flourbomb.

Bah! Humbug!

:)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
People who say Xmas is Fun should be strapped down and made to watch The Hobbit.

three times in a row.

Me, Im trying to persuade family to celebrate Mithas`s birthday; its more Classical, and is an excuse for Roast Beef.

So far they are not obliging.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
You try having a birthday three days after.

And my family are `not` being obliging on presents.

december_25th.png

This says it all.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Never really understood the necessity for glitter myself - and definitley don't understand how you grow trees in the loft?

Why do people who hate Christmas keep doing it?

We celebrate the solstice....but it doesn't involve commercial cards, or pointless tatty presents, dressing up, Coca Cola advertising coloured mythical beings or any of that nonsense.

BB does make cakes for the neighbours....

My daughter and I bake gingerbread, make fresh crumpets and the like

We make some decorations ...wreaths and the like....from plants we have grown.

We warm ourselves by a fire with wood we cut and drink a glass of something warming we have made.

We enjoy the end of the old year by sharing the nicest things we have made to remember the year gone, and look forward to the year ahead. Its a lovel time to relax during the long evenings with the friends and family we love.

Spending money on things people don't want and listening to music we don't like and decking the place with naff tatty plastic geegaws? Why would anyone want to do that?

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
If I ever meet Nobby Holder I will forcibly remove his vocal cords, It's Christmas..... has really annoyed me for years.

Mary I am reliably informed Glitter is made by feeding Elf's into a wood chipper in a 2:1 mixture with fairy's.

Last edited:

joejoe

On a new journey
Jan 18, 2007
washington
try living with 2 women who make handmade cards , xmas card get started in july ,easter cards next jan . glitterr dont get me started

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If I ever meet Nobby Holder I will forcibly remove his vocal cords, It's Christmas..... has really annoyed me for years.

Mary I am reliably informed Glitter is made by feeding Elf's into a wood chipper in a 2:1 mixture with fairy's.

:rofl: Oh I could believe that :) and yep, Noddy might be sound but that song would drive a saint to drink.

BR, it's only the cards that are covered in glitter.....unfortunately it gets everywhere :rolleyes:

I live, like the majority of the population, in a comfortable centrally heated house; it kills real trees, so I use a fake one with built in fibre optics, and I dress up a real one in the garden, complete with food for the birds.

It's a festival of fire and lights, regardless of what particular reason one has for celebrating :D

I make, I bake, I give and I receive, but it's family and friends that make it real :cool:

It's just the blasted glitter that gets on my wick :sigh:
I bought new mascara, and even it has sparkly bits in it :rolleyes: I bought the Christmas edition by mistake :eek:

I do like the smells of the season though :D

M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A real tree will be fine if you grow it in a pot and bring it in pot and all - then keep it well watered. Never done mine any harm. Then take it out and plant it (pot and all). Bring it back in next year.

If you like your fibre optic thing though, have at it!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Lost a post :sigh:

Basically; tried that, doesn't work in centrally heated, well insulated house. Fed up hoovering up needles and put the tree outdoors where it's thriving :D
Cut ones were worse. The fibre optic one looks fine and I put real stuff in bowls so the smell is right :D
A real one would probably survive in a cool porch though :dunno:

Too many of us now to forage greenery for every household; we'd denude entire forests. Even those of us who do grow it struggle to keep it alive indoors in modern homes.
Better folks take a walk in the forests and enjoy both the fresh air and the sheer vitality of it, properly.

The glitter though.....Joejoe has my sincerest sympathies.

M

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Lost a post :sigh:

Basically; tried that, doesn't work in centrally heated, well insulated house. Fed up hoovering up needles and put the tree outdoors where it's thriving :D
Cut ones were worse. The fibre optic one looks fine and I put real stuff in bowls so the smell is right :D
A real one would probably survive in a cool porch though :dunno:

Too many of us now to forage greenery for every household; we'd denude entire forests. Even those of us who do grow it struggle to keep it alive indoors in modern homes.
Better folks take a walk in the forests and enjoy both the fresh air and the sheer vitality of it, properly.

The glitter though.....Joejoe has my sincerest sympathies.

M

I lived the first 19 years were in a house with 2 real woodburning fireplaces and various gas heaters (you call them gas fires) in the bedrooms)

However the rest (37 more years) has been in one modern home or another with central heat and I've always had a real cut tree. They usually lived for 2 or 3 weeks before I took them down. Did you cut your own or buy a cut tree? If you bought it, did you cut the scab off before placing it in the tree stand and water?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yes, I trimmed the bottom, made sure they were soundly supported and never let go dry, but they still dropped needles like rain.

It's just not worth the hassle. I have real trees just outside the house, the fibre optic one is easy to manage indoors. The rootballed tree ended up outside before Christmas. Low light levels, and warm dry air aren't a good combination.
Traditionally it's a log that we bring indoors anyway, but the decorated trees are very pretty :)

cheers,
M

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yes, I trimmed the bottom, made sure they were soundly supported and never let go dry, but they still dropped needles like rain.

It's just not worth the hassle. I have real trees just outside the house, the fibre optic one is easy to manage indoors. The rootballed tree ended up outside before Christmas. Low light levels, and warm dry air aren't a good combination.
Traditionally it's a log that we bring indoors anyway, but the decorated trees are very pretty :)

cheers,
M

Fair enough. I thought you meant the tree was actually dying on you rather than dropping nedles. Mine have always dropped needles also (even in the old house with fireplaces)

For what it's worth, my current central heat is from a gas furnace rather than electric and it doesn't seem quite as dry as the electric. Not neccessarily just for the trees, but I seem to ba able to breath better now than when I had electric. If the dryness causes you other problems a humidifier might also help.

But back on the subject of greenery and trees, somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that:

1) Bringing in greenery (boughs and similar) was originally a pre-Christian Roman tradition,
2) A Yule Log was a British tradition, and
3) The decorated Christmas tree was originally a German tradition tracing to Martin Luther.

Last edited:

gixer

Dec 16, 2012
Midlands
I always stock up well before Xmas means you avoid the crowds then.

Once you've avoided the crowds then Xmas is what ever you want to make or not make of it if the case may be.

I have never given out Xmas cards so rarely get any, what cards i do get i leave with the giver so they know not to bother next year.
I'm not a misery guts i think if you asked my mates they'd say i was a cheerful bloke, i'm just cheery when i want to be rather than at a set time every year.

The Mrs loves Xmas though and i love seeing her and kids faces around this time of year.

Way i see it is if you don't like Xmas don't do Xmas, it's not like it's a surprise that sneaks up on you every year :lmao:

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
1) Bringing in greenery (boughs and similar) was originally a pre-Christian Roman tradition,
2) A Yule Log was a British tradition, and
3) The decorated Christmas tree was originally a German tradition tracing to Martin Luther.

1) Yep pre-roman.
2) I have been told it was common in most of northern Europe.
3) Not got a clue on Luther, but what we consider Christmas traditions where imported from Germany about the time Victoria married Albert. Interesting fact but until the 40's one single town in Germany Lauscha made 95% of the world's Christmas tree baubles.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE