Badges

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
maddave said:
Tony said:
Hi Guys, nearly there :wink:

:shock:

How we doin' Tone?? :-D

Well!

First off everyone, a HUGE thank you for your patience, I know this has been a long ride. :ekt:
When we started talking about the badges etc it was just going to be a badge and we were trying to get it somewhat like the maple leaf that we’ve had for a year now, as you all know getting close to the leaf was very hard. I realised that to have a badge that could be identified with the site we would have to change the logo, my cards etc, which is a big move. So, the effect of the badge thread was a big snowball that has caused a few problems along the way! Thanks to all of the input from you guys and girls (especially MadDave) you have been inspirational in changing the logo to something that can be put on cards, on the site , on badges etc :uu:

Have a look here for an example of the new logo http://www.bushcraftuk.co.uk/web/img/logo101x100b.jpg
This should be much easier to incorporate into badges etc

This is what it looks like on a page
http://www.bushcraftuk.co.uk/reviews/eatwith.html

I’m very disappointed that we have not been able to sort things out in time for the show, :sulk: sorry about that, it was the goal but it’s too late now. I will switch the logo tomorrow sometime.

I would appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Cheers guys and thanks for all your efforts on this. :biggthump

Tone

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I hate to be critical when other people have put in so much work but I am not really taken with the new logo. It does not say Bushcraft to me (either figuratively or physically). What was wrong with the designs that were posted?

Sorry to sound so negative but as I say the new design just does not do it for me.

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
I think it's the dogs wassinames Tone! Dead understated, would look great as a badge, t-shirt logo or whatever.... First class! The colours kind of remind me of the elements.

Who designed it? Looks very pro :biggthump

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Looks really good.

But what about the poll that you were talking about??

I still think that the badge design that Great Pebble done on the bottom of page 9 is a real winner. :)

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I Like the new Logo, When i first saw it being developed I wasn’t too sure but now i think its great

The big difficulty with the design of a logo is that it has to be simple enough that it can be embroidered, etched, printed etc and still be recognisable on any surface

I love the old logo but it was none of these things, it could not be enlarged for banners or embrodered (we tried :-? )

I liked Pebbles design as well but as straight forward as it is, its still too complicated to easily be used on any material

Text is also a problem because it the logo is reduced the text becomes unreadable (and just a mess on embroidered logos)

If you look closely at the new logo you will see parts of the designs colours which have been taken from the badges thread

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Sorry Stuart but as far as embroidery goes you need a differant company as the statement you have made is cack!!

I have had many badges and shirts done in the past for various companies and clubs and some have been far more complex that the one that Great Pebble designed with some fantactic results, if the font does not work on smaller badges then you change the font to one that works, I used a very good embroidery company who checked the designs and sent me advice of any proposed changes necessary for clarity or quality and didnt even charge for the extra work that they done.

Any way what happened to the poll??????????????????????????????????

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Right then.

First off, the badge (Great Pebble’s has been mentioned) the badge has not been dismissed, sorry if that was the impression I gave. What has changed is the fact that the new logo can be incorporated into any badge that gets chosen. I originally wanted the maple leaf to be incorporated into the badge designs so that bcuk kept its identity, this turned out to be impossible – I have lots of embroidery samples here from professional companies that prove this, so, the leaf did not work on any media other than printed (max size of about 2”) We now have a logo that can be used as a badge, or in a badge design and we keep the identity of the site intact.

When we started on the badge idea it changed everything to do with identifying bcuk, that was the issue we had to address. The chance to have a poll has not been taken away from you, but I do want the designs that go into the poll to have the logo in them (it can be a single colour) The bigger picture is that everything else will just have the logo on and that will be what people associate with bcuk

I have some samples here and GP’s design is very doable, no dispute on that front. It just needs to have the new logo on it which should not be too hard to incorporate.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
I hope you got that done by someone friendly, the designers in here rub their hands (literally) with glee when someone asks about "corporate identity".

The old logo was...... exceptionally difficult to work with.

New one is a good job, simple and should transfer easily to badges or print. I can deploy photoshop for a while and play with some badge designs if there's the call for it.

One point though, if there is going to be a badge designed from it folks could do with a larger example of the logo to work with.

Now, any chance of you moving into the print side of media Tony??
And if you did would there be a nice remuneration package for contributors ? :p

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Chopper said:
"Sorry Stuart but as far as embroidery goes you need a differant company as the statement you have made is cack!!"

Getting a little aggressive Chopper don’t you think? :?:

I think you've missed the point, probably my fault for not making my self very clear

After we tried to do embroidered versions of the Maple leaf logo and discovered that it was VERY limited in what could be done with it the original search for a badge became a Search for an entire new Logo for BCUK!! :shock:

The designs here Are not useable as a Logo (they were never designed to be people were asked to design badges not logos) A Logo needs to be simple enough to be incorporated into and design on any medium yet instantly recognisable (think Nike swoosh logo)

BCUK will probably produce a badge with just the logo along with badges designed and voted for here by the members so long as they incorporate the new Logo

if the new logo had text included in it then by the time that had been reduced to be including in something else and the whole thing reduced to fit on a 2" x 2"
the original text on the logo would become unreadable

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Hmmmm S' ok I suppose, for a web logo. No something i'd particularly want to sew on my jacket (the white background would soon get grubby) or wear on a T shirt. Looks a little "unfinished" at the bottom left and it's a bit vague as to what it means...Take the text away from the top and it's a bit nondescript IMHO. :-?

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
Stuart said:
The designs here Are not useable as a Logo (they were never designed to be people were asked to design badges not logos) A Logo needs to be simple enough to be incorporated into and design on any medium yet instantly recognisable (think Nike swoosh logo)

BCUK will probably produce a badge with just the logo along with badges designed and voted for here by the members so long as they incorporate the new Logo

I think as a logo it works brilliantly, but maybe Maddave is right about the white background for sew on badges.

Doing badges/t-shirts with just the logo and others with one of the members designs voted for by the members keeps everyone happy. I for one prefer a discreet design that won't shout 'I use knives and light fires' to anyone who saw it. Horses for courses I guess.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I for one like the new logo - it's subtle, swish and as Larry the Spark says, doesn't put emphasis on fires and knives. While I understand that knives and fire are cornerstones to bushcraft, I think that adding them to a badge of log looks too military (commando dagger style). I have nothing against military badges but I don't want to wear one. With this new logo we can identify with it through the site (and one another if we come across another member wearing it) and at the same time not shock, offend, anger of in any other way draw too much attention to ourselves from the uninitiated :-D

My 2p ... no refunds!

gurushaun

Forager
Sep 12, 2003
Modbury, Devon/Cannock Staffs
I like it... low profile, subtle yet we'll all recognise it when we see it, without it drawing undue attention from the public (which is'nt a bad thing, I really, like my privacy, but I'm proud to be associated with the responsible attitudes voiced in this forum). Just my two penn'orth.

Cheers

Shaun

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
gurushaun said:
I like it... low profile, subtle yet we'll all recognise it when we see it, without it drawing undue attention from the public (which is'nt a bad thing, I really, like my privacy, but I'm proud to be associated with the responsible attitudes voiced in this forum). Just my two penn'orth.

Cheers

Shaun

Well said! Personally I see nothing wrong with a picture of a camp fire or the RM knife (although there could be copyright issues there) but to the general public they just see a big knife (think command dagger here) and fires. We know we are responsible and someone who took the time to come here would see that but we have to think about the image of BCUK and how others might see it.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
The main point here seems to be the logo on a white background and it getting dirty. Don't think it has to be on a white background, it doesn’t. It will fit in well with badge designs that have more in them than just the logo, having Bushcraft UK on the badge, or bcuk gives it an associated identity. The maple leaf on it's own meant nothing but with bushcraft uk it meant something. A badge with a knife and a fire on it and no mention of what it's associated with is meaningless. It's the entirety of the badge that paints the image.

So, as far as the badge is concerned the logo is not the badge, it is part of the badge and the background does not need to be just white.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Muhhh...

thinking ....

Rather difficult to present an image of what B.C is all about without using the knife (axe?) and/or fire images, I suppose you could do something with a tree, maybe.

Point being, if it's going to be an issue, possibly the best bet is just to use the logo with a BCUK title - maybe the web addy. It's a good design and other BCUK types will recognise it.

To be 100% honest, personally, I'd be unlikely to actually wear a badge of any description except when at a meet or some such.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
As long as there are no copyright issues then fires etc can go on badge designs. I don't mind them subtly describing what we do. If it's knives and axes it will be ok. I like some of the previous badge designs, they do describe what we do and our interests.

GP, can you adjust your design of page 9 to incorporate the new logo? Let have a look at it in place, on a badge.

Cheers
T

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE