Badgers ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Hi,

Was out and about tonite, trying to get photos of the sunset over the Central Highlands, from Cokleroy, nr Linlithgow. Unfortuantely Haar came in and my cheap camera couldn't cope.

So took a friend around the woods, tracking. We came across a lot of dug up ground which had small black droppings, the size of a small dogs, with seeds in. There was plenty of newly dug soil at the entrance to large burrow holes, maybe 3/4 of a ft diameter.

Was it a badger set ?

Nick

PS spotted a cool wee weasel whilst climbing at Traprain Law on sunday.

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Sounds like it was. The holes and scat is a badger latrine, generally marking the extent of their territory.

Risclean

Forager
Feb 28, 2007
North Highlands
At the weekend I was at a volunteer training session with Scottish Badgers . Badger sett entrances are a shaped like a D on it back(because badgers are low and wide). The strength of badgers means spoil heaps are larger than those made by foxes and contain larger material like stones. There's more information on the site.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Its amazing how much soil badgers can move in a night, literally tons! There seems to be a lot of activity at the moment. I've been watching one large sett which had a lot of soil shifted at Easter and theyve just moved another shed load. Nearby they have also enlarged two rabbit warrens.
I am not sure but perhaps last years young are now moving out of the main sett to make their own nearby.
Regarding the sett being dug out, or a pet terrier entering, badgers can seriously damage a dog, they have a frighteningly powerful jaw. People need to be aware of this when allowing overzelous pets around badger setts.
Also been watching a fox earth, three cubs doing well and pretty much half grown. They are now venturing along the hedgeline.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Just got back from watching the badgers, got to the sett at about 7:30pm and they were already digging.They were moving a lot of soil, you could actually hear them from 30 metres with cross wind.
Not sure if these have young, or are they last years young? - not sure.
Also watched the fox cubs but due to the rain they were just sitting under the shelter of the hedge.

Keep us updated on your Scottish badgers.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Found what I think are sets no recent soil disturbance (although boy has it been raining) no scat but looks like little tracks around them?
Are sets ever abandoned?
Got to charge up the old night vision camera and have a late night!!! :)
Dave

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
If you can hear sound on your computer I was listening to BBC Radio 4's Living World program "Badger Behaviour" (you can listen to it again here) the other day. Very entertaining ....... in fact very relaxing to listen to all the wild sounds in the back ground whilst scanning bcuk!

You can listen to all the other programs by clicking on the link on the right of the Living World home page I linked to above. Highly recommended.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
tommy the cat said:
Found what I think are sets no recent soil disturbance (although boy has it been raining) no scat but looks like little tracks around them?
Are sets ever abandoned?
Got to charge up the old night vision camera and have a late night!!! :)
Dave
There are a number of abandoned setts around our way, not sure why. Re; my earlier post - Sunday evening we saw the two badgers then five well grown cubs. Really nice to see them grooming each other. The sett is along a hedgerow with a barley field on each side, the barley has really shot up with this weeks rain so visibility of the sett is getting less each day.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
The sett I spotted is perfect for watching as it's in line with a slope and a dry stane dyke, with a grassy field and prevailing wind down wind. So it is good for watching. Maybe pop out at dusk tomorrow.

Nick

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Scots_Charles_River said:
The sett I spotted is perfect for watching as it's in line with a slope and a dry stane dyke, with a grassy field and prevailing wind down wind. So it is good for watching. Maybe pop out at dusk tomorrow.

Nick
Just be aware of the wind direction, keep down wind, or cross wind. Badgers have poor eyesight so providing you keep still and keep all movements very slow you should be ok.
They are also sensitive to noise and vibration around the sett.

Good luck

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Great info. Sadly my usual sighting of badgers is at the side of the road :(
Going to go and have a look when the weather improves(not cause I'm a wuss so I can use the camera :) )Hopefully I will get some stuff up on the net.
Dave
All I will need to know then is how to convert hi8 format into video to put on the computer :confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE