Backup blade thoughts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rich.H

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
N.Ireland
I normally carry a locking blade tucked away as a pure backup should I either loose or damage my normal working knife. I've been considering changing this to a multitool and wondering others thoughts on this. Do any of you ever see the need for any of the addons a multitool gives you? Also do they tend to have reasonable steel blades for cost value?

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
I've carried multi tools in general but not in outdoors.

They are a good tool with lots of useful stuff for daily life but always a compromise. As a knife they are never as comfy to use as a designated knife. And not sure what I want a selection of Philips driver bits in the woods.

I do carry a SAK everywhere (which is kind of a multi tool) and this is the best compromise tool I've ever had. Blades good. Saw is useful and a few other bits that get used from time to time.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Yep, pliers,file,awl used regularly in and around camp, good to have scissors too.
Used to use leathermans but recently got a swistool x that i think is better, it also has a small chisel,haven't tried it yet but i'm sure it'll come in handy at some point.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I carry an old Leatherman PS2 everywhere I go, pliers, file etc but especially scissors, but the knife, though razor sharp, is too uncomfortable for all but extreme emergency use. My back-up blade has always been a Buck 110, great tool............atb mac

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Yep, pliers,file,awl used regularly in and around camp, good to have scissors too.
Used to use leathermans but recently got a swistool x that i think is better, it also has a small chisel,haven't tried it yet but i'm sure it'll come in handy at some point.

Thanks for the heads up - looks like a nice piece, and EDC legal I assume?

Jun 27, 2011
Canada
Leatherman Wave owner here, can't tell you how many years I have owned it. Be warned once you get one its hard not to carry it on you all the time. Once I got it I stopped carrying my SAK, and that I'd been carrying since my 20's...
Curiously though Victorinox, and especially Wenger have been making some really interesting SAK's these days, and I've been tempted to pick up one...ohhhh, I've got to stop this addiction to knives...falling off the wagon. :p
Cheers
(Leatherman Wave waving owner)Alex

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
The leatherman sidekick is a more inexpensive but good quality multi tool. i use one as my back up and carry it when needed and I highly recommend it.

Bladeophile

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
Basingstoke UK
I can never stick with one EDC cos the variety of blades and different characteristics are too beguiling. But I guess for outdoors my silver SAK farmer is a tall order to beat - bomb proof, so simple yet does so much! On the MT front I decided to try cheap first. My brother Tom ordered me a Paul Chen MT for less than 10 quid. Been receiving great reviews. I've yet to try it.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
SAK as EDC in the pocket and fixed blade in the rucksack. I'd done this since childhood but changed to a locking SAK "Rucksack" knife carried in my pocket as my only knife until the law changed. I'm now back to the original system, currently a Wenger Evolution 17 and a Mora, and having to remember that non-locking blades can be dangerous to the user.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I always seem to have more than one blade about my person, and although for years one of them was a multi-tool I'd stopped carrying one.

However I recently came across my Leatherman Crunch and have started to carry it on occasion. amazing how often those mole grips come in handy and I still think Leatherman make the best (well made the new ones tend to be style over substance) multitools. The Gerber ones tend to have weak hinges and go loose and horrible after a while and the Swiss tools are just clumsy.

R3438795-01.jpg

I have quite a few Leathermans though stopped buying after the Wave as it all seemed to go downhill from there.

Still think my Opinel is my fave pocket/backup blade. Cheap, light, functional and sharp.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Nope - locking blade

Leatherman Juice compensates for this :) Great little tool.
Gerber sport multitool for woods use. Besides the scissors and screwdrivers the pliers are the most use tool, more often than not used for picking up hot stuff or cutting wire. Neither you would want to do with a knife.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Tell me about gimmicks when you need to carry out a running repair on tent/tarp/pack/stove/boots and you're a day's walk from anywhere and need pliers or scissors; a good lock-knife is a great thing, but it's a lock-knife.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Thanks for the heads up - looks like a nice piece, and EDC legal I assume?

Nope - locking blade

Just to clarify here. Red is right, legal everyday carry requires a 3" or sub 3" blade that is readily foldable and has no locking mechanism. This is a no questions asked legal right, but with exceptions. However, locking blades are perfectly legal EDC as long as there is a reasonable need to carry one. Can't really deny a carpet fitter a Stanley, but I'd hope he wouldn't take it to a football match sort of thing.

The OP mentions a work back up, so locking blades shouldn't be discounted from the thread.

I think a multitool would make a good backup. My Leatherman Charge gets a fair bit of use. I've added a bit extender and some extra bits for versatility. I'd recommend a Charge. Swisstool is king though, but I've never justified my usage to the cost.

Last edited:

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Leatherman wave is the best multitool I have found and mine must now be 15yrs old....it's with me for work or the woods all the time but my EDC is a UKPK which I am never without, I thought i'd lost it a couple of months ago but fortunatly found it and have now made a sheath. Perfect one handed opening. I used to always carry a SAK farmer which is brilliant but the one handed opening of the UKPK is a major bonus. I also have a Swisstool which has better build quality but is a heavy old beast!

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Just to clarify here. Red is right, legal everyday carry requires a 3" or sub 3" blade that is readily foldable and has no locking mechanism. This is a no questions asked legal right, but with exceptions. However, locking blades are perfectly legal EDC as long as there is a reasonable need to carry one. Can't really deny a carpet fitter a Stanley, but I'd hope he wouldn't take it to a football match sort of thing.

The OP mentions a work back up, so locking blades shouldn't be discounted from the thread.

I think a multitool would make a good backup. My Leatherman Charge gets a fair bit of use. I've added a bit extender and some extra bits for versatility. I'd recommend a Charge. Swisstool is king though, but I've never justified my usage to the cost.

I carry my SAK Farmer everywhere except on a night out. I wouldn't want to do that with a locking blade.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE