Backup blade thoughts

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
My daily multitool has been the Victorinox SwissTool for over a decade, but for the past few months I've been using the Leatherman Charge TTi as kind of experiment and I'm getting on extremely well with it.

I love the S30V main blade, and the one-handed opening is great unless you're a lefty like me in which case you have to change hands to open it one-handed. I find the interchangeable driver bits very useful at work. I'm not a big fan of the pliers (the SwissTool's pliers are much better) but they are of course useful. The lack of an awl is a nuisance. The saw is acceptable, I like the can opener better than that on the SwissTool. I very rarely use the scissors, they're slightly odd but they work well. It's two-thirds of the weight of the SwissTool.

My usual blade line-up when camping is a folder (a Swede) as a neck knife, mainly for food prep, and a multitool in a pouch on my belt for everything else. If I do take anything bigger it usually stays in my pack unless there's real work to be done.

The cheap steels on the cheap multitools are terrible for blades but OK for pliers, can openers and so on. I keep one on the bike for putting the chain back on for example.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...However I recently came across my Leatherman Crunch and have started to carry it on occasion. amazing how often those mole grips come in handy...

R3438795-01.jpg
..."

Another vote for the Crunch, small enough not to weigh me down on longer walks, the jaws have been quite handy in the past.

The SOG range of multitools look quite handy and may be worth a look.

:)

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Victorinox Soldier or Wenger equivalent as a back up - nice locking 4 inch blade, saw, phillips screw driver, but no corkscrew I'm afraid. Pliers are handy, I carry a little pair, only 62g ,and a rat tail file for metal.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
If you carry a multi tool because you need the other tools, my guess is that it will no longer be a backup.

i have never taken pliers into the woods but always throw a high vis mora at the bottom of my bag.

even though I think a multi tool with a good knife, saw, bottle opener and cork screw would be very useful.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
If you carry a multi tool because you need the other tools, my guess is that it will no longer be a backup.

i have never taken pliers into the woods but always throw a high vis mora at the bottom of my bag.

even though I think a multi tool with a good knife, saw, bottle opener and cork screw would be very useful.

Are we holding onto the corkscrew out of tradition? Even good wine (and are we taking £100+ bottles into the woods) are often screw cap these days. And Corked whiskey usually has a stopper cork. Plus with a spoon or a spoon and a bit of string you can get a cork out no problem. What other task that I'm missing do you put it too? Serious question.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
That's no point at all if the wine I like does have a cork.

Get a phillips screw, screw it in with your phillips screwdriver on your swiss army knife, but make sure its diagonally in the cork, get your pliers and pull the screw on a horizontally level plain, whilst twisting it. Hey presto your corks out without damaging your wine. Simple

I'm aware of the cut the cork out method Goatboy, but that will take the edge off your knife, so how does one do it with spoons and string ?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Get a phillips screw, screw it in with your phillips screwdriver on your swiss army knife, but make sure its diagonally in the cork, get your pliers and pull the screw on a horizontally level plain, whilst twisting it. Hey presto your corks out without damaging your wine. Simple

I'm aware of the cut the cork out method Goatboy, but that will take the edge off your knife, so how does one do it with spoons and string ?

Sod that, just use a corkscrew. Like comes on masses of Swiss Army Knives. Its a doddle.:)

Yeah I can open a bottle with a cork without a corkscrew. Its not the "can I" that matters, do I want to?
I could also buy wine with a screwtop, but odds on someone will turn up with a cork topped bottle at some point, or I just might want one that doesn't come with a screwtop.

I mean, obviously people who actually need all the extra manpoints they receive by opening a bottle of wine using only a rock and a chicken beak might want that, I'm not fussed about the points and just want the bottle open without doing a Bear Grylls drama queen impersonation.

Jul 18, 2013
Hong Kong
I think the decision for 'backup blade' will based on where you work, a SAK farmer or a SAK Trekker(I like the plain edge version better, but might be just a bit over 3") are great for outdoor. They provide blade backup as well as useful tools for outdoor(saw, awl for ferro rod, can opener, etc).

For more urban setting, I don't need a designated knife for work, and I will carry a multitool as EDC. I like Swisstool Spirit for its quality and easy access to all tools without opening the pliers. If OHO is important to you, maybe a leatherman Charge TTi will be a good choice too. For more pocketable solution, a genuine SAK with the tools probably will be your best friend. :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....I'm aware of the cut the cork out method Goatboy, but that will take the edge off your knife, so how does one do it with spoons and string ?

I'm not sure how GB was talking about doing it but I do know a way IF!!! If the cork isn't driven in flush with the top of the bottle. If a small bit of the cork is exposed, wrap the string round it then use the spoon to twist it tight and as a handle to pull it out of the bottle.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I take an original Leatherman with me on trips in the kitchen/stove box and its proven handy from time to time, the blade is very sharp that and a little Sanrenmu locker which is a cracker for its size.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'm not sure how GB was talking about doing it but I do know a way IF!!! If the cork isn't driven in flush with the top of the bottle. If a small bit of the cork is exposed, wrap the string round it then use the spoon to twist it tight and as a handle to pull it out of the bottle.

Similar to this video, push in cork with spoon, tie a knot in one or both ends of string and place one or both ends in nick of bottle so knot/knots are underneath the cork and gently pull.

[video=youtube;2kO-VSV2kw8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kO-VSV2kw8[/video]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE