Back yard Forge, up and running.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Its an old portable one for shoeing horses, been lent to me for a while. Theres a pump underneath with a car battery for power. Spot of charcoal inside and up she goes. :cool: Im still learning blacksmithing when I can, so some basic work to follow.

007.jpg

Heres my new anvil. its a small one designed to slot into a larger. This now has a thick steel plate welded on top to give me the main working area, with the tapered section still there too. Ive mounted it into a nice heavy log using a bit and brace and a chisel to make the square hole.

The material below it was a section of spring steel from a car spring, that my friend and I straightened and flattened beforehand on his big anvil, with one of us on the big sledge and the other on the flatter swapping the role each time. I enjoy the teamwork side of smithing too.

004.jpg

The piece was long enough for two stick tangs, so cut it in half and worked on one of them today, drawing out the tang. Might do a his and hers as the last one I made the mrs wasnt quite right what we had planned handle wise.
I wanted to have a go at shaping the tip of the knife too and beveling the edges, to try to reduce grinding.

009.jpg

This is where I worked out theres a fancy trick to make the end result straight and not bananaman style. Never mind I'll just grind this now otherewise I'll rearly stuff it up, and try pre bending the next one before forging the edge.

010.jpg

Forge had loads of heat left in it, so it was a perfect chance to try out my new charcloth tin, which has just cooled down and the cloth looks tip top.

011.jpg

As usual my crazy audiance was near by wondering what daddy was doing this time :dunno:

012.jpg

All the best, Addo :)

Last edited:

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Cheers Steve, just need to practice loads more now, when I can sneek off and grab some time from somewhere ! :)

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Thanks for the comments.

Nice one.Get under yer skin does smithin'..

Tell me about it, Im itching to go out and play again but ive run out of charcoal. Ive been meaning to make my own for a while now so that might be another project in some woods nearby, using an old oildrum. Just got to get one in decent nick with a lid I can seal up some how. Meeting a chap tomorrow for a bit of advice.

btw Ive seen some of your great products that Martin k9 and chums bought, and it rearly looks the buisness.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Nice work there Addo. :cool:
I've only been forging for a couple of years, but I do all mine with coke. I'm in Mickleover, but get my coke from Sheffield by the 25kg bag load. I have a bottom blast forge and it tends to consume 5-8kg every couple of hours before the clinker sticks to the grate, which is why I'm looking into making a gas forge for speed of use, and keeping my coke forge for the larger, more traditional stuff.
You're more than welcome to come over and have a bit of a 'hammer-in' one weekend!:D

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Nice work there Addo. :cool:
I've only been forging for a couple of years, but I do all mine with coke. I'm in Mickleover, but get my coke from Sheffield by the 25kg bag load. I have a bottom blast forge and it tends to consume 5-8kg every couple of hours before the clinker sticks to the grate, which is why I'm looking into making a gas forge for speed of use, and keeping my coke forge for the larger, more traditional stuff.
You're more than welcome to come over and have a bit of a 'hammer-in' one weekend!:D

That sounds spot on i'd rearly enjoy that, i'll drop you a pm when I know I can pop round. Cheers. :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE