Axes... to hammer wedges, or not?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
as long as you dont go over the top and dont hit anything hard it will be fine. nice axe btw, cheep too! husqvarna has to be my favorite make of saw too:D

pete

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
making a maul out of a log is easy. Cut it to the correct total length you want and then mark the length of handle - say 12 inch head to 18 inch handle. at the point use a saw to cut through the log to an equal depth all the way around. You want to leave a core intact that has a diameter suitable to be the handle - say 2.5 inch. Use your axe to trim away the wood down to this diameter and ther you have it.

Have a look in Mike Abbots book on green woodworking for more

you tube.

don't forget the wealth of information in the downloads section here at BCUK

woodsmanship

cheers, and.

Sargey - thanks for the links - that youtube video is incredibly clear.
I'll have a read of that pdf later too.
Cheers! :D

Treemonk - I've been looking for that book in the nearby shops with no joy - I'll be ordering it online tomorrow morning though. I hope it's as good as you say - I'm really looking forwards to reading it. The reviews I've seen are all glowing though - I'm expecting a good read! :)

Peter_t
I used it very briefly today - I went to the park to check a fllen tree I want to harvest Burrs from.
Since the tree fell a while back I cut into it in a couple of places to see what state the wood was in and it seems to be in really good oder. The axe was great to swing though - it felt relly comfortable.

I'm very happy with it and can't wait to see what it's like when I've put a bit more time into putting a good sharp edge on it. It's already keener than when I bought it but I'm still getting my head around sharpening an axe so it's a long wy from perfect.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE