axe/knife making course

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What do you want to do over the 3 day course

• Knife and Sheath

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Axe and Sheath

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Axe and Knife, take home to finish if needed.

Votes: 17 48.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
As my first post in this section, I'm offering a course EXCLUSIVELY for BCUK members :) And You get to choose what the subject is!

If I can work out how to do it, I'll turn this into a poll :eek: Here are the options:

A) 3 day knife making course. Forge and heat treat a blade on day 1, fit and carve a handle on day 2, then make a leather sheath and sharpen on day three.

B) 3 day axe making course. As for A, but an axe instead of a knife.

C) Axe and Knife. First day forge and heat treat a knife blade, second day forge and heat treat an axe head, then third day start fitting and shaping handle. May not get the handles both completely finished, but will have something to take away and work on.

We'll be doing everything by hand, using my ancient forges and a variety of good reliable hand tools. Metal parts will be virgin tool or spring steel, wooden parts from locally sourced hardwoods and sheathes from good solid veg tan leather. You can get an idea of the sorts of things that I'm talking about by looking through the course galleries on my website, though I've not got around to updating it for a while :eek:

The date for the course is 28th-30th August. It's the last bankholiday weekend in august and one of the few I have left this summer not already booked elsewhere :eek: There are a maximum of 6 places available and the price will depend on what we end up going with, but will be around the £250 mark.

People can camp in my woods and this course will only be on offer here, not on my website or elsewhere!

Please express an interest below and once it is decided which option is happening, I'll sort out the details and get places sorted ;)

thanks folks! :)

N.B. the axe could equally be an adze or a hawk, whichever individuals chose at the time ;)

Last edited:
S

spirit-bear

very interested in this :You_Rock_

I would be happy with any of the suggestions but i voted axe and knife just because im greedy :lmao:

But either way i would like a space once sorted please..

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I'll let this poll run a couple more weeks and then we shall see what the subject is going to be. So far the majority seems to be for both an axe and a knife, though strangely more than twice as many people have voted as have commented? :spam:

When we decide what we are making I'll get deposits from people to secure places ;)

Zorro, Chesterfield isn't all that far. People have come from Ireland, the top of Scotland, France, even Kent for shorter weekend courses! Have you not heard of a weekend away? :D :pokenest: I do understand though, it's a long drive each way ;)

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dan you for living too far away :) If I'd been able to go I'd prefer option 3, followed by 2 (there is plenty of knife blades out there to buy, but special axes are harder to find -- or much more expensive -- so knowing how to make them would be more long term usefull).

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
looks like a quality course. I voted axe, as i'd rather finish something properly, and i'd rather it was an axe :D or even an Adze blade....

looks like the spaces are all gonna be filled anyway :(

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
im interested, it all depends on how i can get there cause i dont drive, is there a train station anywhere on dartmoor?

i voted axe btw cause i wanna make an adze :)

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
sounds good to me, however i'm not so sure that i'd get permission from SWMBO! i might have a try at sounding her out tonight.

as Zorro says its a fair slap from north derbys/south yorks

steve

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Voted axe (ADZE) and sheath as I have not got one of those...plain and simple.
Leaving with a complete tool would be a nice acheivment, although leaving with two half made tools would allow you (the people taking the course) to go away and reflect on what you've done and plan to complete two projects in you own style before sending the pics of them to us here!!!
Although I understand some folks would not feel too confident in handling tools/making sheaths with out tuition....So yes My decision still stands....Make and complete a tool of the moment and treasure it forever ;)

akacoach

Jul 2, 2010
UK
I know I have only just joined but this type of course is the specific reason I ended up on the forum.

As a newbie would you consider allowing me on the course?

If yes:
Is the course going ahead?
If so what is the decision on the 'thing' to be made?
Is it full?
Will there be more?

Thanks

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
I'd like to attend... How much will the deposit be?
I take it it will be self-catering?

Am i mistaken or is this the same weekend as the wilderness gathering?

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
the gathering is the 19th-22nd ;)

although I may have double booked myself with something else :banghead: I'm trying to get hold of the student who I have double booked on this proposed weekend. if I can't change that, then I'll find another date for this hopefully :cool:

my deposits are always £50 (saves me forgetting) and yes, self catering. I have refreshments on tap but have found offering food to be more trouble than it was worth.

will keep informed here when I know what is occurring :sad6:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE