Axe graving and haft Celtic design

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Trev' can I offer a bit of advice? Hold fire on the file work. There comes a point in embellishing a tool at which you have to stop. Bit like those dweebs who don't who buy every accessory they see on the shelves of Halfords for their cars, from novelty air fresheners and fluffy dice to chequered flag mudflaps and 6 anti static strips hanging off the back bumper.

In this axe head I feel less is more and adding file work would ruin it. Just my tuppence worth mate.

If you're running out of things to practice on then PM your address and if I have any bits of iron in my workshop I'll send 'em to you for you to have a play on. OK? They won't be quality tools I hasten to add, just stuff I've acquired that you can use to doodle on.

That is very nice of you bud and I would like very much to take you up on that offer .as not to spoil my daily user plus I get to show off other skills on iron

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Mmmmm just remembered I've a little axe tucked away in my kit box that will do nicely for the file work project today .
Pics to follow later.
Is there anything in particular you guys would like to see graved on my little axe this one may end up on the swap shop or GIO .or would you rather see the file work and leave the axe sides blank .
Your choice people let me know.

Last edited:

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
I am wondering, would epoxy inlays on steel be possible? Or would the inlay just fall out?

*Editted because I forgot the important bit: Nice work on the axe!

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I think the colour on the knotwork handle really lifts it out and the head design... phhwwwoooaaaar, thats VERY nice... you got a great and unique sense of style, Trev :)Noones done work like that before that I've seen!

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Well guys n gals all i can say is thanks for all the great comments so far just looking forward to doing more of it and alot more different designs .

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Really!!!!! never heard of that before. How long should i soak it for ?and what vinegar bud ?ill give that a go ,was thinking of gun blueing .

Cheap store bought white vinegar - for as long as it takes to go black (2-8hrs). Give it a wipe with white spirits first to degrease it. You could just fill in the engraved bits with mustard/ketchup/saladcream/brownsauce or other vinegary condiment and leave it too.

Last edited:

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Cheap store bought white vinegar - for as long as it takes to go black (2-8hrs). Give it a wipe with white spirits first to degrease it. You could just fill in the engraved bits with mustard/ketchup/saladcream/brownsauce or other vinegary condiment and leave it too.

Well it's true you learn something new everyday thanks I'll try it out

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
null-12.jpg

That's my favourite design so far. Looks good. Very flowing. I like it.

As said before, choose your style and don't go overboard trying to show too much on one item. It kind of spoils your great work by cluttering it. Design something for you, or in one style and show that off. Then move on. Looks so much better.
That picture (if I edited your post right) is the muts. That on both sides and that's it would be stunning.

All that said, we all have different tastes so what do I know ;)

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
That's my favourite design so far. Looks good. Very flowing. I like it.

As said before, choose your style and don't go overboard trying to show too much on one item. It kind of spoils your great work by cluttering it. Design something for you, or in one style and show that off. Then move on. Looks so much better.
That picture (if I edited your post right) is the muts. That on both sides and that's it would be stunning.

All that said, we all have different tastes so what do I know ;)

Thank you bud for your kind comments .
The only reason there is a couple of designs to look at on this axe is I don't have any other tools left to show what else I can do this is the tip of the iceberg really .i have the other axe in the other thread all finished now all I can do is sit and wait see if there is any interest in my graving.im also very interested in file work so I'm wanting more info on styles and how to do the fancy stuff.

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
I am wondering, would epoxy inlays on steel be possible? Or would the inlay just fall out?

*Editted because I forgot the important bit: Nice work on the axe!
Epoxy inlays would just fall out bud unless you spent copious amounts of hours rebating the graving to a depth that would sustain the epoxy .
Good idea though.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Thank you bud for your kind comments .
The only reason there is a couple of designs to look at on this axe is I don't have any other tools left to show what else I can do this is the tip of the iceberg really .i have the other axe in the other thread all finished now all I can do is sit and wait see if there is any interest in my graving.im also very interested in file work so I'm wanting more info on styles and how to do the fancy stuff.

File work is something I want to try too. Just not got round to it yet :)
I like that vine pattern you see on some knives and fancy trying it. But I'm never sure if the file work should remain open or be filled in with epoxy on the handle section. And how to so this. Its all learning I guess.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE