Cegga axe restoration and collar guard project

• Hey Guest, We're having our annual Winter Moot and we'd love you to come. PLEASE LOOK HERE to secure your place and get more information.
    For forum threads CLICK HERE

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Fellow babies,

As some of you know, I was looking for someone to rehandle a Cegga, but after a bit of advice, have decided to simply recondition the haft and make a collar guard myself. I normally keep all my thumbs attached to my feet, and don’t have much in the way of tools. This is my story.

I picked up the axe two summers ago at a meet in Suffolk (hey guys!) for a very reasonable sum, so reasonable that I couldn't pass it up. It had a bit of handle damage, and the head had some tarnish, but there was no rust. It was, and still is, a great axe at a great price. I cleaned up the head; sharpened the edge; and oiled the haft with BLO. It performs very well. It's important to know that it gets medium-to-light use. A typical year finds me outside for 15 nights, give or take. I chop a bit of firewood and split a bit of tinder, but that's all. I'm not building super-shelters, living on a farm or trekking through Sweden. It's a damn fine camping axe, but the handle damage has always bothered me.

I had seriously considered swapping out the haft, but finding a 20" handle is difficult. All the handle places sell 16" and 24", but not 20". I could have bought a replacement GB or Wetterlings, but have no desire for a pretentious logo. Given that Cegga works at Hults, it’s likely that their 20" Trekking axe handle is probably what was used and it’s also likely to fit the head, and I found a replacement handle at Heinnie for a reasonable price. But after watching a ton of axe videos on Youtube, it became clear that my handle was not damaged enough to be worried about, so Heinnie remains bookmarked and ready to go should I ever need it. Instead of a new haft, I'm now making a collar guard, so back to Youtube I went.

Of all the collar guard videos, I found Mike at MCQ Bushcraft’s video the most instructive. He’s clear, uses simple tools, and made a very functional wet-formed guard that seems to be well within my comfort zone. So off I go into the world of small leather crafting. Granted: an axe collar might be the simplest of all leather projects, but some of you might appreciate how a fumbler like me gets on.

A very friendly BCUK member is kindly sending me an 8”x5” 3mm veg-tanned piece of leather, and I picked up some lacing at an online store whose name escapes me. I also bought a Draper Expert hole punch for the princely sum of £14. That Draper looks to be a great gizmo at a great price, and I intent to use it on other projects assuming that no limbs are lost making this crazy guard.

In preparation for the project, I resharpened the head first with a Sharpie marker and a Naniwa 1000 stone; went to the mousepad and wet-dry up to 2000; re-oiled the handle and dropped a bit glue into the crack. It’s now ready for leather.

The only question remaining is the role of beeswax under the guard, as Mike suggests. I don’t want the collar to slip, and initially like the idea of coating the haft under the guard with a bit of beeswax, but my sense is that doing so would prevent me from re-oiling that part of the handle in the future. The wet-formed guard should stay put if I form it into that narrower haft area directly under the head. But I like the idea of beeswax, so I really won’t know if I use it until the last minute.

I’ve included a few photos of the axe and damage. These photos were taken this morning, after the BLO has dried, and immediately after I dropped a bit of glue into the crack.

Last edited:

Hultafors Outdoor knife for Sale

We have a a number of Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteels for sale.

You can see more details here in this thread OUTDOOR KNIVES The price is £27 posted to the UK. Pay via the paypal button below.