Avoiding rust (again)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 16, 2003
Surrey
Sorry to start a new thread on a topic that was recently covered. However, a slightly different question: How long can you get away with storing a carbon steel blade in a leather sheath? I ask this because I understand the need for long-term storage out of the sheath, but if you are taking a knife into the wilderness for an extended period, how long would you have to be carrying it before the leather starts to become detrimental?

gurushaun

Forager
Sep 12, 2003
Modbury, Devon/Cannock Staffs
As long as you clean it after use each time (a quick wipe is ok), keep as much crap out of the sheath as possible (see above), and give it a wipe with a mineral oil or olive oil soaked rag once or twice a week then you should be ok. Inspecting the blade at least once a day if you haven't used it also helps. This is assuming use in this country. Also if the sheath gets really wet try to dry with out the blade in it, but be careful of shrinkage, let the leather dry slowly away from direct heat.

Cheers

Shaun

Powderburn

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2004
Michigan, USA
I think it's more of a matter of conditions instead of time, or at least a combination of the two.

I have a Schrade Sharpfinger, which is 1095 steel. The only care it ever got was a washing the few times it gutted a deer. Other than that, it sat in the leather sheath 24/7, through the dry winters and super humid summers of Michigan. It looked brand new for years.

I had it in my "waterproof" fanny pack a couple years ago during deer season. Instead of the usual cold and snow, it was warm with soaking rains. The Sharpfinger sat in the "waterproof" pack all the while. Weeks later while cleaning out the pack, I pulled the knife out and found it had a nice surface rust. :-( It looked like the kind that a little scrubbing with steel wool and a bit of oil would take care of. Boy, was I wrong. The whole blade is pitted. :evil:

Kept in a dry leather sheath, even without oil, the knife stayed in great condition. Left in a wet leather sheath for a few weeks, it rusted and pitted.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
yup, like I said - it depends!

If you want to be sure - dont leave it in a leather sheath - period. There is no time limit that someone can give you, that will guarantee no rust. If the sheath is wet and the steel unprotected, the blade can rust overnight - sometimes, even in front of your eyes!

In a bone dry sheath, with a well oiled blade, in dry conditions, you might be fine indefinately - then again, you might not.

Powderburn

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2004
Michigan, USA
Martyn said:
If the sheath is wet and the steel unprotected, the blade can rust overnight - sometimes, even in front of your eyes!
Good point, but thankfully, most rust that pops up that quickly is minor surface rust and will come off fairly easily. There are exceptions, of course. :wink:

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
On a course with Ray up in scotland once it rained (as only scotland can) for several days and my knife, sheath, pants and skin were soaked - anyway I was using a woodlore knife at the time and it started to go rusty. I was horrified £xxxx of knife being attacked by rust, anyway I asked Ray and his answer was simple,

Dont worry about it, its a tool not a piece of art.

Point taken?

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
How many must that guy go through? :shock: :shock:

Good point though - they are just tools (or should be!)

Gary said:
On a course with Ray up in scotland once it rained (as only scotland can) for several days and my knife, sheath, pants and skin were soaked - anyway I was using a woodlore knife at the time and it started to go rusty. I was horrified £xxxx of knife being attacked by rust, anyway I asked Ray and his answer was simple,

Point taken?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I have never oiled my knife and lately have only got it out a couple of times a month. In the whole time I have had it which is about 3 years I have cleaned it thoroughly about 4 times. Probably every 3rd time I sharpen it I go over the whole thing with my Negara stone which cleans off the metal quite well. Sometimes it will look purple for a while, other times bright and shiny and others dirty and scruffy. It always does the job though!

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Another good point here is that the staining carbon steel takes on with use actually protects the metal - moral of the story here is use the damn thing.

As tony says sharpening and cleaning the blade with the slurry should be more than enough.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
I got a tip to use Linseed oil (i think it´s called that in english). Let the blade stand in the oil and then let it dry. It´s suppose to work really good.
I am waiting for mine to dry now, so I will soon see if it will work =)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Small water tone that is used with fine grit waterstones, you rub it on the bigger stone and it creates a slurry which can help with sharpening. It may be spelt wrong!

coutel

Sep 25, 2003
Gary said:
Another good point here is that the staining carbon steel takes on with use actually protects the metal - .......
quote]

Yes.

When carbon has some rust, I spray some WD 40 on it and give it a light rub with fine steel wool just to get the surface rust off....anything else is just 'patina' :-D

Out of interest....when so called 'stainless steel' rusts (and it does given the right conditions!), the rust usualy badly pits the steel.......Carbon doesnt seem to pit so bad.

Kevin.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Gary said:

Point taken?

Fair comment, but then my old dad says if you look after your tools they'll last you a lifetime. If I'd paid £200 for a power drill, I'd take good care of that too. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE