ash

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rimmer

Apr 1, 2010
eastsussex
can anyone help had a small peace of ash which when i took the bark off had 2 splits in can it be used for eating utensels
now i need to get another peace for an axe handel which is very anoying

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
ash is toxic, but not so much that eating from a spoon made from it would do you any harm.. id just rather not suck the inner bark or the sap.

Do you have a reference for this? Never heard of it being toxic, not trying to say your wrong just interested.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Do you have a reference for this? Never heard of it being toxic, not trying to say your wrong just interested.
Me neither!
I have just checked about a dozen links from google on Toxic Woods - the worst mention Ash gets is that the dust can be an irritant...
What references for toxic Ash do you have?
I am puzzled....

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
not heard of the sap or inner bark being toxic, but it doesn't taste very nice! The wood has always been used for things that come into contact with food so I can't see any problems with it myself either.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE