As a total counterpoint.......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ahh - now I like "finger food" - and licking my fingers of the stickiness ....be it barbecue sauce, or hoi sin or lime pickle - its all good for sticky fingers :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm funny - I like wedges of lime - in bottles of Cerveza, on plates, all sorts. The smell of the skin, the feel of the squish, the slightly sweet and sour taste. I think food should use all the senses :) A great Balti eaten with the fingers is a wonderful thing.

Yep. All of those. Plus squeezed into a Coke, sweet tea (or in my case, artificially sweetened) With a shot of tequila. Perhaps best of all, in a Key Lime Pie.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Finger food doesn't need to be sticky, thankfully :)
It's why Indians use balls of rice, naan, etc., Asians use chopsticks, Mexicans use tortillas, nachos, and so on.
Especially when sharing food from communal pots.

M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It's why Indians use balls of rice, naan, etc., Asians use chopsticks, Mexicans use tortillas, nachos, and so on.

M

In all of these case there is definitely oozing - with occasional splurting leading to slurpification and definitely finger lickage. Its all great. Mind you if you want unstickification, all power to you - but oi loikes it :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not if one is careful...... :) says she who's eating a sliced peach, oatcakes with a little oak smoked very mature cheddar and blackcurrant jelly, and a small portion of mushy peas, and using a desert fork to pick up most of it. (rather late tea, can't be bothered with dinner tonight)
No; sticky hands y'can keep, but each to their own.

cheers,
M

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Finger food doesn't need to be sticky, thankfully :)

M

Yes. But what about smoked ribs? Fried chicken? Or BBQ chicken? Watermelon? Pulled pork sandwiches? Sloppy Joes? Buttered corn on the cob? Lobster? Boiled shrimp? Crawfish? Crab?

Rice balls, tortillas, and chopsticks are more or less useless on them.

Even with tortillas, if they don't ooze, there's not enough filling in your fajitas or tacos.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nope, don't eat any of that but for the corn on the cob....and I have these neat wee fork things that stick in each end :D
Watermelon is a devastating disappointment. Looks like it ought to be glorious and it's just 'nothing' :sigh: melon is eaten with a fruit knife and desert fork.

Told you; I hate sticky hands :)

M

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
The key with watermelon is to chill it first - stick some slices in the fridge. Nothing better on a really hot day!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Nope, don't eat any of that but for the corn on the cob....and I have these neat wee fork things that stick in each end :D
Watermelon is a devastating disappointment. Looks like it ought to be glorious and it's just 'nothing' :sigh: melon is eaten with a fruit knife and desert fork.

Told you; I hate sticky hands :)

M

LOL. I have those corn holders as well. Now always with me when at somebody else's house or a restaurant though. As for watermelon: Well there's two things wrong with that.

Firstly, you're no t getting good ones (it's getting to be a problem here as well as they breed bigger, more tasteless ones for the market)

Secondly, there's only one real way to eat watermelon. And it should nearly always devolve into a food fight!

Or better still, a yellow meated watermelon

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
So does anybody there eat pickled watermelon rinds?

By heavens, but y'd need to be hungry ......

I fed most of one to the compost heap last week, and even the worms aren't looking interested in it.
That's worth noting....I have brandling worms that drop off the inside of the lid in football sized knots of writhingness, and I use them to break down virtually anything organic that I can get into the compost bins.
They make a cracking job of stripping bones :) and they give me brilliant worm worked soil too.

cheers,
Toddy

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
By heavens, but y'd need to be hungry ......

I fed most of one to the compost heap last week, and even the worms aren't looking interested in it.....

To get rid of the raw ones just feed them to the horses. But pickled ones are actually a commercially profitable item

416JOcfh6UL.jpg

71lr69iC6hL._SL1500_.jpg

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
LOL. I've had it. The truth is while I like marmalade also, I'm not overly enamored with it. Now fig preserves! That's the food of the gods!

On a hot buttered biscuit with ham

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE