As a total counterpoint.......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well, I had to substitute mild chile powder for the cayenne pepper as we were out but the hush puppies I made for tea were delicious and very filling. The lads were reminded of onion barjis. We saved 6 for herself.

imagejpg1_zps60adb94f.jpg

Atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers!

Woke early so by the time the lads staggered downstairs at 8 I had baked a big cornbread and fried up slices of it with bacon for their breakfasts. Ok it's more like corn cake as I threw in 4 eggs but still very nice!

imagejpg1_zpsede85589.jpg

Just out of the oven at this moment are 18 corn dodgers ( think True Grit, well the John Wayne version ) as I wanted to try a variation on hard tack for use out and about. I used beef dripping instead of bacon fat as it lasts better and baked them as flat rounds so they will dry out better than some of the traditional forms, like cones or fat cigar shapes I did three on the girdle and they came out nicer looking than the oven done ones.

imagejpg1_zps28e0bc17.jpg

atb

tom

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Cheers!

Woke early so by the time the lads staggered downstairs at 8 I had baked a big cornbread and fried up slices of it with bacon for their breakfasts. Ok it's more like corn cake as I threw in 4 eggs but still very nice!....

Looks good! BTW true cornbread recipes call for eggs (though usually not that many)

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Mary, your original post reminded me of this http://www.soylent.me/ it's been called the real world bachelor chow the thing is it sounds tempting untill you read the interview some one posted on slashdot where the guy doing the report spent a few days with them mid way through a diet for a month and all the staff sat down and ate a huge steak while talking big about the health benifits of the food they make but seemed reluctant to live off (that was the impression I got from the story) and supposedly it's simmilar to the food they are trialing in super max prisons in the states to cut down on costs and as a additional punishment (supposedly). I suppose it might have some benefits to some people but as a staple food replacement in the long term I doubt it.

Oh an Santaman, the biscuts you said are a staple in McDonnalds nope not in the UK. They are using more Americanized local menus in some parts of the UK but I have yet to see them on the menu. Interesting option though I would try it once just to get a idea about it.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...Oh an Santaman, the biscuts you said are a staple in McDonnalds nope not in the UK. They are using more Americanized local menus in some parts of the UK but I have yet to see them on the menu. Interesting option though I would try it once just to get a idea about it.

If you get the chance to try them (there, here, or wherever) they aren't bad at all. However they aren't anywhere near as good as home made biscuits obviously.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Obviously not nearly everything is better home made, but I would give them a good try if I cam across them I might give the home made ones a go at some point but I would try a small batch first (maybe 6) and see how I get on.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well, I obviously messed up somewhere as the corn dodgers I thought I'd dried out and baked extra long before that have all gone bad, despite being sealed in airtight containers. Mould spots and furry bits. A packet of digestives would have lasted longer. I should have hung some up in a cloth bag to see if they kept better being able the breath.

i've hardtack made a at least 16 years ago that's still as edible as the day it was made ( IE not very, but just ). T must be the presence of fats in the corn dodgers. Oh well, the next time we will eat them fresh.

On a vaguely related note if you want something to stand in for old fashioned sugarloaf for period trekking or similar ( you can pay through the nose for it from reenactment suppliers or mess about turning granulated sugar into a solid, easily transported lump) go to a Indian supermarket and look for Jaggery, which is a solid lump of unrefined cane sugar. Tastes very nice and supposed to be better for you.

atb

tom

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Well, I obviously messed up somewhere as the corn dodgers I thought I'd dried out and baked extra long before that have all gone bad, despite being sealed in airtight containers. Mould spots and furry bits. A packet of digestives would have lasted longer. I should have hung some up in a cloth bag to see if they kept better being able the breath.

i've hardtack made a at least 16 years ago that's still as edible as the day it was made ( IE not very, but just ). T must be the presence of fats in the corn dodgers. ...

The fat. The eggs. The milk. Etc. All the ingredients in corn dodgers pretty much are perishable. www.heraldnet.com/article/20110112/LIVING/701129971

Hardtack on the other hand is nothing but home made crackers (water, flour, and salt) More or less the same as what y'all call biscuits.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nope, crackers and biscuits are totally different. Biscuits are sweet cookies. Crackers are savoury.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
So the Duke was talking rubbish when he enthused about them as long lasting trail food?

i can't believe Hollywood would lie to me ;)

So is there a corn meal version of ships biscuits? Just packing for two weeks half way up Sugarloaf at the inlaws cottage or I would do some experimenting.

i made the dodgers with just meal, water, salt and fat so it must be the fat.

Theres no signal or phone line where we are going so apart from when we go shopping or for a day in town I'll be without the collective wisdom of BCUK until the 1st. Have a great rest of August!

atb

tom

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
So the Duke was talking rubbish when he enthused about them as long lasting trail food?

i can't believe Hollywood would lie to me ;)

So is there a corn meal version of ships biscuits?.....

To the best of my memory (it's been a while since I saw the movie) the scene with the corn dodgers was the day after they had left and were just the 1st day's meal.

The nearest thing I can think of in a corn meal ship's biscuit would be fried tortilla chips.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That's our definitions. I thought I remembered y'alls being the opposite.

Nope - we don't have "cookies". We have "Biscuits" (which are sweet like a chocolate chip cookie) and Crackers (which are savoury things to be eaten with cheese). We have Yorkshire pudding (which is not eaten as a pudding) and scones (which can be sweet or savoury)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE