Army rations advice?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I'm going to be issued a modern British army "Compo Ration" for a cadet excersize can anyone give me advice,
should i bring anything extra? (like herbs or spices?)
is there a "best" number/letter" to get?(e.g.A or 2)
should i just chuck it behind my shelter?

oh, and... :eek: erm.. i don't want to put on any weight!
i remember the tinned rations of the late eighties and early ninties with the tins! :)

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Lamb stew, treat it like the plague...

Biscuits AB are fine if dunked in the coffee...

Try to take along your own powdered milk...Non dairy whitener is not to pleasant...

Treacle pudding is good, Breakfasts are good...

It is all very high in calories, so if you need to dispose of anything I can send you a safe disposal place to send it to...My Mrs loves the boiled sweets...Lol

LS

L

Labrat

Take some babywipes in a little packet too.

After 3 days on rat packs you'll understand why!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Take some babywipes in a little packet too. After 3 days on rat packs you'll understand why!

just 2 day's thankfully!
:yuck: I just remembered what the Bicuits AB are for! :eek:

I guess i'll have to take all the surgary stuff out first :(

Milk powder, tabasco, but no lamb stew! ;) got it!

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Not over keen on the puddings with custard, but it's sweet and hot. Bacon and beans is the superior breakfast IMO. As instant tea goes, it's very good.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
i've heard that! because meat went rotten so quickly in india, they covered it in spices to hide the taste! :eek:

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Yup quite true, and if i'm not mistaken in some case with extremely strong spices it used to preserve the meat as the strength of the spices killed bacteria. A bit like cooking thin layers of fish in lemon or lime the acidity cooks the fish (i think cure is probably a more accurate description)

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Does anyone have a pic or a URL for the current UK army rations? I've got this strange thirst (fetish) for knowledge about military kit and I think it'll probably be my undoing.

Adam

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
Rat pacs are cool when you are realy hungry. The treacle sponge burnt my throat it was soooo sweet, but then again I was asleep in 5 mins from the sugar shock so it didnt matter much :eek:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Treacle pudding, or as it is more affectionately called treacle track pad, has to be the worst thing I ever ate from a military ration pack. This is closely followed by any of the fruit dumplings, either in butterscotch sauce :yuck: or in custard/catsick! :yuck: :yuck:

Most of the food is OK, but sausage and beans for breakfast is for winners, rice pudding or chocolate pudding for afters, and corned beef hash with tabasco, well, you've gotta try it!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've tried the US mre's, not as good as our rations by any means in my opinion; but I do like the vegetable crackers and peanut butter, yum yum :)

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
The CF rations aren't too bad, but there's just so much stuff in them what you really need to strip them down before going out in the bush. (That probably goes for any ration in any countries army).

Anyway, why're some of those british rations in metal cans and some in foil pouches? I could've sworn that canned rations went out of the system way back in the early '80's when most countries switched over to foil pouches.

Anyone want to take a stab at this one?

Adam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE