My Daniel Boone Challenge.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I must have missed this when it was first posted. Nice stuff. I especially liked the cooking from scratch. So many people stress out on getting authentic old school kit and then it army rations or boil in the bag stuff. I have recently bought one of those bed rolls and as nice as it is I find it does not suit my fat carcase at all as it fits like a straight jacket.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I must have missed this when it was first posted. Nice stuff. I especially liked the cooking from scratch. So many people stress out on getting authentic old school kit and then it army rations or boil in the bag stuff. I have recently bought one of those bed rolls and as nice as it is I find it does not suit my fat carcase at all as it fits like a straight jacket.

Thanks John, i do enjoy camp cooking and sitting eating supanoodles wouldn't feel right somehow. I think i'll try and make period correct rations next time.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Thanks John, i do enjoy camp cooking and sitting eating supanoodles wouldn't feel right somehow. I think i'll try and make period correct rations next time.

That would mean no spuds though. It would be interesting to see how you coped with a freshly caught (or defrosted) rabbit and an open fire. That would be proper old school eating.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
That would mean no spuds though. It would be interesting to see how you coped with a freshly caught (or defrosted) rabbit and an open fire. That would be proper old school eating.

Sounds tasty. I'll try and get my hands on one for next time, might come from my local game butcher though ;)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well had the go ahead from the GF to get out and do this..so next when I have a few days off during the week I'm going to partake :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Dried spuds have been around for a very long time, so I'd say they are authentic. 'Mountain men' took dried veg with them on trips and rice.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Just read this report - bit slow up here . . .

Once again, thanks for posting it. I am getting twitchy as the nights have now drawn in so I'm planning my own challenge for the spring as something to look forward to. I must practise my flint and steel skills, it seems, and I may get on with making some kit for the "trad" look.

All the best.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Nice to be reminded of this thread. I remember enjoying CH's account at the time, and in fact it inspired me to have a couple of goes at the Boone Challenge with the gang in Suffolk a bit later on. I fancy having another go now!

Sent from my E2003 using Tapatalk

breff

Tenderfoot
Sep 16, 2016
Lancaster
It's reports like this that made me join the forum and start getting the courage to try it myself.
Great tale of a nice time, thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE