Army bergens for £5!!!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
No minimum order as far as i know. I've just ordered 3 brand new wool blankets to make a bed roll with for only £3 each :D
It's grade 2 stuff but guananteed to have no holes. tears etc, good stuff for anybady on a budget

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have bought two PLCE bergens, and an army issue sleeping bag from this site, cheap as chips and in good nick too! The bergens didn't come with the side pouches though but at £30.00 for both and £7.50 delivery I didn't complain.
I can't remember how much I paid for the sleeping bag but that was dirt cheap aswell.:D

Edit: Just looked at the price for the sleeping bag - £22.50 with delivery BARGAIN!

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
No minimum order as far as i know. I've just ordered 3 brand new wool blankets to make a bed roll with for only £3 each :D
It's grade 2 stuff but guananteed to have no holes. tears etc, good stuff for anybady on a budget

Make sure you give them a good wash before using them. I got scabies once from not washing them before I used them. Orrible it was!

Eri

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
These are known as 'All-arms bergans'. They are the ones with the zip closure and the roll down cover to go over the back carry straps. They have a grab handle at the top and were originally meant for REMF's. I'm not a fan i must say, but each to their own. I definatly would'nt use them with any weight in over any distance, but if it's all you can aford, it's better than a bin liner or a couple of shopping bag's!:rolleyes:

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Ah - I think I know the ones. One of the Scout leaders had one that he called an other arms bergan but it diddn't seem to be that big, I asume it just looked smaller (probably cus it was on the grass and it is camo :lmao: )

I was thinking of one as a bag to just keep all my bushy bits in whan i go to camp - sfa included (don't want others playing with that ;) ) - Don't intend carrying it any distance car to tent at most...... so a poor back is no issue.

Is it really as big as I mentally visualise 70L or is that the size with pockets?

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Nope these aren't the good ones - squaddies call them handbags - not meant for marching, but for hauling in and out of vehicles. They aren't the infantry ones.

$orry, I meant that in the time when 58 pattern was still clinging on in certain parts anything that was not a 58 pattern pack was considered an improvement.

I did'nt like the framed bergen I got issued with either it dug in........I know they are not supposed to be comfortable...........happy chappy when I got the Berghaus Crusader.

If you think using 58 pattern was sad, I once got issued with 44 pattern - 1980'ish.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Ah - I think I know the ones. One of the Scout leaders had one that he called an other arms bergan but it diddn't seem to be that big, I asume it just looked smaller (probably cus it was on the grass and it is camo :lmao: )

I was thinking of one as a bag to just keep all my bushy bits in whan i go to camp - sfa included (don't want others playing with that ;) ) - Don't intend carrying it any distance car to tent at most...... so a poor back is no issue.

Is it really as big as I mentally visualise 70L or is that the size with pockets?

The one may Dad had was certainly good enough for that sort of thing Graham. Should be ideal for that. I think they are 70 and can add the PLCE side pouches.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I recently bought one of these (not from this site though) for a tenner. I'm quite impressed by the capacity and I actually find it quite comfortable probably due to the broad back, but as already said, not for carrying any long distance. You've also got to be careful about loading as well. There's a tendency to put all the weight in the bottom.

I think they're great for bushcraft use because you can actually see the contents instead feeling about in the dark from the top.

and were originally meant for REMF's.

This is exactly what I thought and wrote in my mini review. Possibly a bit of culture issue here. This may not look like a gucci Sabre, but if you've not got the money for a high quality (and vastly overpriced) carry system, I'd say this pack is a winner.

Pablo.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!

Somehow missed this thread, where the blankets white as pictured, or did they come in various colours?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE