Armchair Bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
I think it's inevitable that as your experience grows, as your life shifts, as you adapt, the way in which you interact with the wild spaces changes and so does your kit...these days I find that I use many of the skills I've gained through the conversations on here, daily. We live on our boat, along the towpath, in the woods. This time of year I cook outside most days using wood I've collected. Although still in line with the ideals of bcuk the 'bushcraft' I practice these days is still very different to the lightweight pack I tried to perfect many years ago...I did cast an envious eye over some of that lovely canvas kit!...which reminded me how much I miss the input of guys like Bilmo- his handmade kit is the best I have, love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: santaman2000

Wayland

Hárbarðr
That is sad Stew.
sad0025.gif

Reactions: Kepis

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Yes, Bilmo's kit was superb. I wish I could still tap into it now but Steven Henley over at Poole Bay Bushcraft is doing some very nice stuff now.

Baker-Tent-I.jpg

He's the one that made the Baker tent in this shot.

...I'll look him up. I treasure my Bilmo tarp, bivvy bag and backpack..quality stuff that's comfortable and long lasting

I chose the title deliberately because I knew people would look in hoping to see a car crash.
4352.gif

We used to bimble all the time before we lost our dog. We're considering getting another soon so hopefully we'll get back into the habit. My waistline would certainly benefit.

I try to think of anything useful I can add to a thread whenever I can. I should do it more really, it's noticeable that some of the old guard do their best with that too.

Sadly, a lot of the reliable old posters seem to have drifted away taking a lot of experience with them. I'm not sure that anything can be done about that any more but conversation is the glue that holds a community like this together so sometimes it is just nice to know someone is out there.
tumbleweed.gif
Well, it was cleverly done:

Clickbait title? Check.
Interesting/ thought provoking subject that invites participation? Check.
Beautiful photography? Check.
Photography displaying items to drool over? (let's face it, most bushcrafters/ campers/ outdoor enthusiasts are obsessed by 'kit') Check.

Speaking of photography...How about a basic tutorial, Wayland? Nothing too fancy or technical, more along the lines of basic techniques for photographing flora/ fauna or high contrast (HDR?) scenes like a campfire at dusk - using less than pro equipment. Apols if you've done this before.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I rarely post these days as I don't get much "craft time" what with two little ones, running a business and all the stuff in-between.

Woods time - the other half of the subject I am still lucky enough to get out on a semi-regular basis. Whilst I take photos for some reason I tend not to post them, mostly i think as they are of the same couple of sites. I tend not to talk camp-craft as over the decades its become so much just a part of spending time outdoors that I imagine it would be of no more interest than how I brush my teeth daily (tooth-bush not a stick btw!)

Pretty much all the kit I use has been reviewed to death. I have said all I need to on knife law and right to roam:rolleyes:

Now I have put pixel to page I think its time to get a little more active and I hope others will follow suit. I have an axe-refurb I have been fettling with that I will get posted. The axe and I fell out after I dropped the 4.5lb head on my bare foot whilst hafting it :banghead: :banghead: I am also out this week so will get some more shots up from there to.

I gather Pbucket is still a no-go these days? imgur?

Thanks for the slap Wayland old bean.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Well, it was cleverly done:

Clickbait title? Check.
Interesting/ thought provoking subject that invites participation? Check.
Beautiful photography? Check.
Photography displaying items to drool over? (let's face it, most bushcrafters/ campers/ outdoor enthusiasts are obsessed by 'kit') Check.

Speaking of photography...How about a basic tutorial, Wayland? Nothing too fancy or technical, more along the lines of basic techniques for photographing flora/ fauna or high contrast (HDR?) scenes like a campfire at dusk - using less than pro equipment. Apols if you've done this before.

That's a good idea, Especially the evening photography one.

I'm doing a little workshop at the Steam Tent Co-operative craft camp in a couple of weeks. I'll see if I can turn I into a tutorial for here as well.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Snip> The axe and I fell out after I dropped the 4.5lb head on my bare foot whilst hafting it <Snip>

Thanks for the slap Wayland old bean.

I hope it landed blunt side down...

I think we all need a gentle slap every now and again. I will certainly try a bit harder.

I hear what you say about having nothing new to post, I have the same problem sometimes. It gives me an idea to go back and revisit some of the older posts. There are a lot of newer members that might not have seen some of the old stuff that we remember. I might start a program of bumping old threads to bring them back up to the top.

That's a good idea, Especially the evening photography one.

I'm doing a little workshop at the Steam Tent Co-operative craft camp in a couple of weeks. I'll see if I can turn I into a tutorial for here as well.
Well you'd certainly have an interested audience here.

In looking through your portfolio on Wayland's World, over the years, I've always been struck most by how you paint the human in the wild as, not in a harsh environment, but in a welcoming, almost luxury one - it really makes the viewer want to be there. I realise you use extensive use of sunset/ dawn and night, but combining that with the human/ manmade light elements and getting the composition, depth of field and, above all, the exposure right is fiendishly difficult. I think most of us could use a few pointers to improve the overall photography on this site. And it doubles as an inspiration...I'll look at a photograph such as the one you posted and think: "Damn! I haven't been out in a while..."

Back to the thread:

I forgot to mention that an inflatable mattress has become an essential aid to a good night's sleep now. Hammock? Nope. Foam? Nope. Therorest neoair xtherm? Ahh! Bliss!

Reactions: Wayland

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I may not be doing quite as much 'heavy' stuff as I used to in my youth but I am getting out more since I retired. True, I can no longer carry 40Lb over the mountains but I can still overnight with what I can carry. Kneeling in the canoe is now more difficult and painful so I'm sitting more (actually a lot) but I can still go on the water. I consider myself to be very fortunate and I don't take it for granted (knees ache, back aches and, for some reason, my elbows ache :dunno:) so I'm getting out as much as I can while I can.

My favourite 'quick' overnight setup with the Landy is a sleeping bag, camp bed, a tarp & poles, and four strong magnets - the tarp gets stuck to the Landy with the magnets (the latest Defender has steel doors), short poles and guys finish the setup in about two minutes and I get a great night's sleep :). I thank a chat around the fire at the winter moot for that idea! I'm out in one of the forests tomorrow night so, if that's how I end up setting up, I'll photograph it :)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I used to be out all the time. Working and playing. . I do miss it a lot and nowadays only get out for short periods in relatively good weather.
I have found that to get a good night's sleep I pack a 65 litre kit bag just with my tarp and hammock set up. Yes I could go much lighter for one night in good weather but as I suffer in damp and cold I do like to make sure I'm comfy. As I've got older and less able to carry weight ... I need more stuff. :( not fair!
I had planned to take my lightweight hennessy set up to wilderness but the weather looks a bit iffy so it will be the 4x4 dd tarp and hammock. Wool shirt and warm socks a plenty! All heavy and bulky.

Reactions: Sundowner

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Age sucks. Previous damage wake up, with a vengeance.

I am down to a shuffle with a tiny backpack,so no more than one night that way.
OK to 'camp' in the garden though. Just as much fun. Well, almost.
The fun is teaching the next Gen what I know. In Norway we fine tuned cooking varous mussels, including limpets.
I think we would impress even a pro chef. Limpets with Prosecco and wild herbs.

Reactions: RonW

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Absolutely right =
2/3 of the kit is dedicated to a top quality sleep, warm and out of the wind.
2/3 of the kit is dedicated to luxury foods and cooking for entertainment.
I mean food I'd never keep in the kitchen. Bought expressly for the adventure.
Miniscule tins of caviar are on the list.

The rest is hobbies, crafts and other such curiosities.
Funny how a day has to slow down to turn my attention to such learned adventures.
Rope work splices need a lot of practice to look good. Knife sharpening.

I need an open wood-burning stone fireplace in my lounge/living room.
My gigantic insulated wooden hot tent.
The bison T-bone steaks are ready. Baking potatoes would be a fun experiment.
I 'd try roasting spears of carrot and yam as well. Birch bark plate then into the fire.

Many years ago in my teens, the last essential was to string a 50' copper long wire antenna.
I had a good battery-powered Short Wave radio.
In the sack, try to tease a few english language stations out of the ether.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
RV your math is a bit out my dear. 2/3 sleep and warm... 2/3 luxury and cooking makes 4 thirds! :)
I get what you mean though. I have just acquired a titanium cook pot.so that is going to save a lot of weight in future.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Maybe to mortals. The math defines the values which make me happy. A lot of it overlaps, yes?
All hail the butane cartridge stove for morning press coffee.

Right this minute, we are getting at least 1"/hour rain. Just hosing down. Not much thunder.
Really big poly tarp is the correct size and material so it isn't gloomy, heat or cook everything.
Campground social center if you let it. Strangers bring food and stoves. Coleman petrol for me.

Reactions: santaman2000

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE