Arktis Waterproof Smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Any of you lads that brought the Arktis Waterproof Smock in the first group buy used it yet ?
What do you think will it replace your waterproof in the future?
Having a waterproof layer under a combat jacket is an old school soldiers trick to reduce noise some found it to hot :).

Looking forward to mine in the second group buy

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64294

, just wondered how folks were getting on with them.

Twodogs

Roe Ring

Forager
Oct 6, 2010
N. Wales
I like mine a lot. I have an old 'Kammo' jacket and a newer 'Deerhunter' jacket, both of which have served me well but both are also heavy and have insulated liners, making them too warm to wear when doing anything remotely strenuous. The Arktis is lighter and first impressions are that it is better made and far more practical than any civilian jacket I have owned previously. Before buying the Arktis, I was considering and trying to justify the price tag of a Swazi or a Harkila, but to be honest I can’t see how either could be significantly better than the Arktis. I think it’s a great jacket and it’s saved me in the region of £300. Like all MPV jackets, you will still sweat profusely if you are working hard, but the cut of the jacket allows good airflow so it is easy to regulate your heat.

It is easily my jacket of choice at the moment. You won’t regret getting one.

Regards
RR

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I was originally using my 94 pattern smock with the 05 issue MVP thrown over the top, it was a heavy yet waterproof and warm setup.
i've been wearing my new dan-cam non stop for about a week now and i'm very very impressed. the waterproofing on the primary (outer) layer is superb, i have to shake the water off when i take it off its that good, it just doesn't get through the material at all.
wind wise again its very windproof indeed and stopped those recent winds we had bothering me at all. as for warmth, well its got that too keeps you dry and warm even in the frost yesterday i found it was only my hands that were cold (forgot my gloves) where my body was fine and i only had my t-shirt and a very light jumper on underneath.

this is my new all weather jacket totally, the drop liner rather then being stiff or crinkly is actually soft and silky and so very comfy, where the whole thing is very waterproof, windproof yet breathable to boot. i'm just going to be seriously upset when i have to take it off during the summer!
weight wise, it comes no where near the smock+mvp, but is slightly heavier then the MVP. i'd happily walk in it all day long.
hope you enjoy yours as much as we do ;)
Pete

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Love mine too. Went out into the woods on the weekend and it kept me warm and dry even when clambering up the steep muddy hills (read: whilst sweating buckets). The cut is ideal as it is nice and loose but with the two draw cords it lets you pull it tight when its' cold. I love the little fabric tab thats sown in beside the zip, makes zipping the thing up much easier especially with gloves, ditto the oversized buttons. Overall I think it's jsut well designed!

Two negatives, however. One; the stitching around the button holes on the pockets has started to fray. Easily fixed I guess but I wouldn't have expected that. Two; no hand warmer pockets! Not a biggy as you can use the front pockets easily enough but slanted ones would have been better.

Bluemerle

Nomad
Nov 6, 2010
Essex
Its already all been said really. this is an excellent coat. I don't believe you will regret buying one, but you may well regret not buying one!!

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi all i agree with what everyone said about the artkis i took mine to the rough close meet last weekend to get opinions and all were favorable just get one if you can you wont regret it regards dave

Tetley

Apr 21, 2008
Bremetannacum Vetenorum
I already had the Windproof version of this Smock and could not fault it in any way except it was not waterproof , I now have solved that problem and can say I would not hesitate to recommend this jacket to anyone that spends time in the outdoors , and another big plus is that my Explorer scouts think its "cool" too :D

Just wondering though , if I will be able to spot anyone at Middlewood next time :lmao:

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i reckon you'll see us well enough, one massive block of dan-cam, telling us apart tho? lol.
we'll all have to get velcro name-tags like mine for recognition :D

@roe-ring, i think i know what you mean about the buttonholes fraying, however i think this is just left over threads from when they cut and stitched the buttonhole and shouldn't be anything to worry about ;)

Roe Ring

Forager
Oct 6, 2010
N. Wales
Hi Melonfish, i think it was highbinder that was having problems with his buttonholes, but i agree with you, mine are doing the same but its just a few excess threads from where the holes have been cut after stitching. I would imagine that if you trimmed them off neatly the fraying wouldnt develop any further.

Just a quick comment about the effectiveness of the camouflage, my GWP has eyes like a hawk yet when I took him out for a walk at dusk the other day I stood still not 10m away from him and he couldnt see me. The look of confusion on his face was a picture:lmao:, its normally me that cant see him. He went nuts when I finally moved and he spotted me.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Hi Melonfish, i think it was highbinder that was having problems with his buttonholes, but i agree with you, mine are doing the same but its just a few excess threads from where the holes have been cut after stitching. I would imagine that if you trimmed them off neatly the fraying wouldnt develop any further.

Just a quick comment about the effectiveness of the camouflage, my GWP has eyes like a hawk yet when I took him out for a walk at dusk the other day I stood still not 10m away from him and he couldnt see me. The look of confusion on his face was a picture:lmao:, its normally me that cant see him. He went nuts when I finally moved and he spotted me.

Oops, you're dead on, sorry :D
but yeah its just some loose threads no issues.

not tried the camo for effectiveness yet i reckon i should do a night time recce round my neighbourhood tonight.

effzedess

Apr 29, 2010
Peterborough
Hi Guys, got my jacket yesterday and love the fit and finish. Can't wait to try it out properly - sods law - it hasn't rained here for the last few days!

BTW, i had some 'fraying' threads. Not a problem, I cut them off and it's now tip top and can't see it being a problem in the future. I was wondering though, do any of you guys take off the 'rank tab'. I obviously can't see me having a use for it unless you guys know something I don't ;)

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I used mine on Saturday when watching Mini-Me play football.

Rain, hail (big chunks that really stung bare flesh) and strong wind.

The jacket kept me warm and dry. Really impressed with the hood - such a simple volume adjuster, but it works perfectly and the cut makes it possible to turn your head and the hood moves with you.

Mine will be used for rough Scout activities and such for now.

Simon

TrashCanMan

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2009
Basingstoke
Very pleased with mine :)

Wore it all weekend with just a t-shirt underneath on a long walk and it kept me dry and warm.

I've had the frayed button hole issue but just trimmed them off. No biggy.

Highly recommended.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
How are you all finding the MVP breathability ? I tried wearing one of those "goretex" Dutch smock liners under my jacket while out rough shooting and I would say the breathability was almost zero - wringing wet inside after an hour or so walking up hill. I've also got a cheap-ish canoeing cagoule which is supposed to be breathable but after an hour's cold weather paddling I was soaking, whereas under genuine Goretex or Event I stay pretty dry. I would have thought for this (excellent) price you are going to get good water proofing but not much on the breathability front. What do you all think ?
I was contemplating getting one but was put off by this issue

Thanks
NS

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just want to jump in and say that the drop liner is unlike anything else I have seen , I know what you mean by clammy , heavy , hot feeling of older drop liners , this , at least for me feels more like a fabric inner. Its almost weird.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE