Lightweight Outdoors Jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
So there has been a few discussions about lightweight windproof jacket for the outdoors. My preference was for cotton and a plain colour but they came up as blank. I looked at the UK military smocks but I was keen for a higher cotton count. I then came across these;

The smock came in strange packaging, vacuum packed with Project Sciurus on a label. A bit of research on ARRSE about it was inconclusive.

19D7BBFE-1AEC-4FF2-94CB-E97E18947F99.jpeg8269E204-59CF-4135-9CBC-615A32668BF7.jpeg

The Smock was very lightweight feels like cotton and the standard four front pocket configuration with internal poachers pockets and a single internal pocket. Unlike the Arktis and modern smocks there is no zipped pockets behind the upper pockets. The shoulder area has a double layer and the elbow area has a double layer.

12941F3B-EF00-4F33-878E-18EC9CC24D2F.jpeg04D3A846-33D8-47F3-A394-9AE384DB308F.jpeg6F859780-B3C4-45C7-A0D2-CD15DCCEC419.jpeg

As I said the fabric is cotton like there’s a comms wire route at the hood, the hood is not wired and the single arm pocket on the left is designed for something and a pen but I don’t know what the other pocket was for, long and narrow.

AE1678E1-B1AE-4C1F-B340-9A21E69F4C5A.jpeg
4DCF6D39-7F2C-461F-9469-2837C22FD145.jpeg
14D96054-0924-4FBD-BD94-16840505249A.jpeg

My few outings with it has found it comfortable, roomy, lightweight, showerproof and quite windproof. It’s more expensive than other smocks but I like the lightweight aspects of it and I was dry inside after a brief shower this morning.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Project Squirus is likely something to do with squirrels (maybe a red squirrel reintroduction or eradication of greys). From its date 02/03 it is probably a squirrel thing, eradication of tree rat.

More bizarrely and recently it was a vehicle to grid electricity project. The hardware cost of the project outweighed the immediate savings and it seems to have been scrapped. Though might be available to those that dress correctly and aren’t too noticeable as they plug their car in to an oak tree by the roadside. ;) :D

Last edited:
Reactions: SCOMAN

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
Clicking on the ebay link, I see that the seller is also selling the desert cam version of the smock....also marked Project Scurius.

Look like decent smoks though

ATB,

Allan

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
This is partly tongue-in-cheek. But, you might like to look at this new Arpenteur jacket. Pima cotton gabardine is tough, light and unspeakably comfortable. It is windproof, and I think that this may have DWR on it. And, Arpenteur's clothes are very well-made.

€450 is a lot. But at the end of each summer, they have half price sales - which I recently succumbed to, and the reason that there is almost nothing else on their site at the moment. Sought after stuff, and their sales are, like Margaret Howell's, things for the diary.

Last edited:

Crowe

Nomad
Jan 18, 2008
Noewich. Now living in Limosin France
So there has been a few discussions about lightweight windproof jacket for the outdoors. My preference was for cotton and a plain colour but they came up as blank. I looked at the UK military smocks but I was keen for a higher cotton count. I then came across these;

The smock came in strange packaging, vacuum packed with Project Sciurus on a label. A bit of research on ARRSE about it was inconclusive.

View attachment 68140View attachment 68141

The Smock was very lightweight feels like cotton and the standard four front pocket configuration with internal poachers pockets and a single internal pocket. Unlike the Arktis and modern smocks there is no zipped pockets behind the upper pockets. The shoulder area has a double layer and the elbow area has a double layer.

View attachment 68142View attachment 68144View attachment 68143

As I said the fabric is cotton like there’s a comms wire route at the hood, the hood is not wired and the single arm pocket on the left is designed for something and a pen but I don’t know what the other pocket was for, long and narrow.

View attachment 68145
View attachment 68146
View attachment 68147

My few outings with it has found it comfortable, roomy, lightweight, showerproof and quite windproof. It’s more expensive than other smocks but I like the lightweight aspects of it and I was dry inside after a brief shower this morning.
This looks like a remake of the 1974 smock windproof SAS. The pocket on the left sleeve was used for the 'Racing Spoon' and a pen. I think it's correct use was for a dosimeter. Super comfortable and lightweight windproof. Was worn over the Smelly Helly. Later evolved to artic windproof as issued to RM with wired hood etc

Reactions: SCOMAN

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Is it John Fenna of this parish who has done a lot of clothing design and fabrication? I would not pass up a very good look at his offerings.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
This looks like a remake of the 1974 smock windproof SAS. The pocket on the left sleeve was used for the 'Racing Spoon' and a pen. I think it's correct use was for a dosimeter. Super comfortable and lightweight windproof. Was worn over the Smelly Helly. Later evolved to artic windproof as issued to RM with wired hood etc

Quite common once Silverman’s started stocking them and you could get them Duty Free, in Germany or overseas, I think I spent around £80 for mine 30 years ago, it’s up in the loft, I don’t wear it much nowadays.

Sent using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE