Arktis Waterproof Smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Roe Ring

Forager
Oct 6, 2010
N. Wales
Hi Nonsuch, I have used a variety of different breathable jackets from 'own-brand' MPV fabric to Gore-Tex, and whilst there is definitely a difference in breathability, all of them reached their limits during exercise. I have little idea of the science behind MPVs, but found that performance was affected by the layers I had underneath. I always wear a wicking layer next to my skin, so that even if I sweat, I don’t feel cold. The trick seems to be in dressing to suit the level of exertion; but it often feels like too little before you get warmed up. Apologies if this is teaching you to suck eggs.:eek:

It seems that Arktis use the same MPV for all their waterproof jackets, military and civilian. I also noticed on another website that they offer a 4 year guarantee on the waterproof performance of the jacket and the highest price I have seen an identical but olive green smock, is £249 :yikes:

Although not scientific, my first impression would be that the MPV is at the upper end of the market in terms of performance. It’s certainly far exceeds the £59 price tag. I would be very surprised if you were disappointed and am certain that the jacket would sell on BCUK if you weren’t happy with it.

Regards

RR

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
out in the weather this morning, windy and wet. i've stayed lovely and dry whilst being nice and warm, took a walk down the local brook past some of the dog walkers who were giving me reet funny looks as no one without a dog in their right mind would be out in driving rain at that time :D
kept me warm and dry all the way to work.
you know i may buy another one of these.

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
my mate and i used ours at airsoft last sunday and i couldnt fault it whatsoever. i usually in bad weather wear my issue mvp liner underneath my windproof smock but obviously this new jacket does away with that.
the camo was surprisingly effective in deciduous woodland considering it was made for evergreen pine forest environents, so i reckon it would work well as a deerstalkers jacket.
melonfish i know what you mean about buying another, its too good a bargain to pass up lol

marcusleftthesite

On a new journey
Sep 28, 2006
My only moan is the cord lock toggles,very weak in the spring and they slip because of it,easily replaced I know but still.:)

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I have noticed the cord locks not holding myself, the only other thing that bugs me is the drop liner in the pockets. when you're wearing the coat the drop liner inside is great as it helps trap heat. however the pockets get cold, the drop liner being silky is pretty damn cold when you stick your hands in your pockets :D
still its good to know that you can use your pockets for carrying live fish if you ever need to...

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Used my Jacket twice now, couple of hours on the first try out in the woods with ruck sack and an hour walk Sunday in the snow again with Lowe Alpine sting half loaded. So far the Jacket is good for me. Plenty of pockets, Comfortable fit, Well pleased for the Price. It takes place of my SASS windproof smock and Issue goretex jacket combo. Arktis is easily half the weight of that combo.

I sat for a practice with my honey stove on my first time out in the jacket with only a lifa (UK army issue version) baselayer and woolpower 200g turtleneck underneath, had no problem with cold at all even whilst sitting still for a good hour or so. Temps around 2 degrees C with slight wind.

Second trip out for a walk in the woods, about 0 degrees C - no wind, didn't stop much apart from the odd map read and birch bark grab, well pleased again, although I did notice some slight condensation when I got back indoors on the inside of the Nelson pockets, More so the one with the GPS in. GPS was in and out marking route all trip. Same clothing underneath, I can't see this being a big problem in the future though just need to be aware in case I dump paper work in there.

Trouser worked out well too, had a short trip (30 mins) on my bike and didn't feel the cold or wind through the trouser with just jeans underneath. Have yet to test prolonged contact with wet ground.

Good stuff.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I had missed the group buys but when I phone Kev up last week he did it at the same price as the GB but with postage on top, still a very good price.
Now this is my first proper smock that I have bought :eek: and in one word to sum it up, it is impressive. Just what I was looking for.

It arrived this afternoon and when I opened the package I was very surprised at how excellent the quality of it is and the fact that it was brand new (over run or something?), I was also surprised at how cosy it was and I was expecting something a bit thinner. I haven't had much chance to try it out outside yet but I expect it will be very good as well, based on the other comments about it.

One thing for sure though is I won't run out of pockets any time soon.
Also as mentioned above, handwarmer pockets would have been a big bonus to have.

Out of curiosty, what do you wear under yours in these winter conditions?

Last edited:

Guid0

Jul 10, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Can anyone tell me if this jacket may be overkill for hiking the Kerry way next Spring? I am in the US but I visited Ireland in 1999 and it rained almost everyday. I have read that it can be exceptionally windy over parts of the trail too and I think this jacket will be good piece of kit. What do some actual owners think? If it is too much I could still find a use for it hiking in the US during the colder months.

Thanks.

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
Arktis smocks can be quite heavy when wet and, with the shell being cotton, can soak away a lot of your body heat as it dries.
Because of the high air humidity, most breathable fabrics don't work well here anyway.
Rainfall is high over here but if you hit a patch of dryish weather there is no other place like it.
Happy trails...torc.

Can anyone tell me if this jacket may be overkill for hiking the Kerry way next Spring? I am in the US but I visited Ireland in 1999 and it rained almost everyday. I have read that it can be exceptionally windy over parts of the trail too and I think this jacket will be good piece of kit. What do some actual owners think? If it is too much I could still find a use for it hiking in the US during the colder months.

Thanks.

I have found my Arktis smock to be great for colder weather but would say it may be a little heavy if the weather is fine and you are carrying it in your pack (as I found on my recent Finland trip). It weighs at least a kilo. On reflection I would have taken my goretex dpm jacket at less than half the weight and volume and saved weight.

HTH

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE