Are you embarrassed in what you do ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pinerevolver

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 17, 2010
N.Lanarkshire Scotland
Im 16 and being up in the woods all the time and learning about them is'nt the coolest thing to be doing at my age. When others ask " What were you doing up there with a steel billy can ?" i find it hard to reply because i feel that they wont understand or consider it as nerdish. I usally make up some mumbo jumbo on the spot. What do you guys do in a situation like this ?

Peer pressure is a difficult thing to handle - the pressure to conform and do what the 'cool' kids are doing is immense, not wanting to stand out or be considered different is tough.

Be confident in who you are, what you do and why you do it. If they ask what you've been up to - tell them. If they laugh, laugh with them - be chilled and enjoy a bit of banter about it, if they take the p**s, take it back but keep it friendly.

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
Agree with Nigeltm and Wanderingblade totally. I can imagine at 16 its hard to "fit in" when your interests are different to the school norm. Maybe try explaining what you do to a select few who you think you might be able to win round, you never know you might become Mr Popular! Are any of them aware of Ray or dare I say it Bear Grylls, im sure a lot of 16 year old lads will think BG is cool - maybe there is a link you can exploit...?

I hope my kids are still interested in Bushy stuff at 16.

All the best, Jon.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Really nigeltm is right, no need to worry about them, it's what makes you happy that counts...Simples!
If you spend your life doing stuff (or not doing in this case) you find interessting, then what have you acheived....well you will not have enjoyed it that's for sure.

I have been into all sorts of things over the last 15 years and have now found bushy stuff the most satisfying of all as it really is down to what you make of it. and the only way you ganna get good is by living it.

As for Nerdy....Nerdy to me is book smarts, learning through memorising other peoples work....Bushcraft is living other peoples crafts, being taught by them and more importantly finding things out for yourself!

Just have fun

Mojo

pinerevolver

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 17, 2010
N.Lanarkshire Scotland
Thanks for your help guys.
You can make a difficult situation more easier,
i keep myself to myself about doing Bushcraft
its not that im not a social person i just see my intrests
as my own. And not wanting to seem stupid to mention to another friend
"Want to go up the forest this morning ?"
Its getting caught up in the middle of things,
Yeah other kids have seen me with a bergen and zebra billy
but i think thats all they know about me, Hopefully it will stay that way

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
tbh anyone who has an interest in something could be called a geek or a nerd. I'm quite proud of it really, I'd rather have varying interests and be out an about rather than sat indoors pretending to like football just because everyone else does!

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
I stand proud, but at my age (44) I am beyond caring what others think. Besides it not so geeky in Sweden to have an interest in nature. My advise however is to be proud of your interests and tell them the truth.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,

And sorry I could not travel both

And be one traveler, long I stood

And looked down one as far as I could

To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,

And having perhaps the better claim,

Because it was grassy and wanted wear;

Though as for that the passing there

Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay

In leaves no step had trodden black.

Oh, I kept the first for another day!

Yet knowing how way leads on to way,

I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
indeed, wow them with your fire laying skills and camping ability.
when i was just out of school me and the lads used to wander into the woods and play Call Of Cthulhu round a campfire. best roleplay EVAH!
just remember that although you may believe that people will think your weird or a nerd, there's always someone out there who's weirder or nerdier!

avalon

May 31, 2007
South Australia
It was the same for me when I was younger. I just got on with it and for most of the time, kept my interests to myself.
I'm now at an age where I don't really care too much about what people might think, although if they don't need to know, I don't have any reason to tell them (or my wife).

Last edited:

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Hello Pinerevolver, i know how you feel,when i was your age (im 43 now) and used a knife out in the woods the name Rambo would often be used by others ,i.e " what you up to today Rambo ". It used to make me cringe but i rose above it. I joined the forces lost the Rambo tag, left the forces after some years,got a civvie job,still go out to the woods with a knife and nobody says a word to me now. Mind you at my size an build and the big stick i carry they wouldn't dare.....lol. So my friend take no notice of what they say and dont be embarrassed , use your time how you want to use it and dont forget to carry a big stick...:rolleyes:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
We are not nerds.

Nerds make nuclear bombs and achieve global domination these days.

But we have bigger and sharper blades.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
I was in a similar position untill very recently. unfortuneately I'm not sure hwo much help any advice I would give can be. I had a few mates that I'd met via scouts who sort of understood, although I didn't see them every day, it was nice to know that there where some guys my own age who sort of got what this was about.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Some of my townie mates have little digs now and then but I give it back just as good.

I think at your age I was still playing in the woods and had just begun hunting with an air rifle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE