Are you embarrassed in what you do ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pinerevolver

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 17, 2010
N.Lanarkshire Scotland
Thanks Guys thank so much so your support and advice,
it really means alot guys. I thought i would be the odd one out in this situation
but it seems not.

" To get to heaven you need to go through hell a few times "

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I've always been a bit odd. It never embarassed me.

I grew up in a small fishing village where we were all a bit odd. Most of the parties we'd get to would be in the sticks somewhere.

I'm sure there's other 16 year olds in your 'neck of the woods' with a similar outlook. There may even be a Bushcraft Betty for you too.

:)

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.

You're very lucky to be 16 and I wish I was 16 again! But you have a whole heap of stuff to work your way through, and most of the time how you approach it, I mean your own mental outlook, is probably at least as important as what you actually do in the process. You're on the right track, I think, asking questions like this.

... being up in the woods all the time and learning about them is'nt the coolest thing to be doing at my age.

Who decides what's "cool" and what isn't? Do you actually care what's cool anyway? I know for sure I don't give a flying fig. In fact if somebody told me what I was doing was cool I'd probably stop doing it until I'd figured out why. :)

When others ask " What were you doing up there with a steel billy can ?" i find it hard to reply because i feel that they wont understand or consider it as nerdish. I usally make up some mumbo jumbo on the spot. What do you guys do in a situation like this ?

Ask them if an aluminium one would be better?

Seriously, my advice would be don't just make up nonsensical excuses because you don't want to tell them the truth because you're afraid of what they'll think of it. You'll finish up tying yourself in knots.

Be strong. You can be strong without being large, heavy, lifting weights, carrying a big stick, or any of the completely asinine parodies of strength that you've been fed by the entertainment industry. It's about confidence, and being your own person. You probably don't yet really know who that is, but you're learning fast or you wouldn't be here talking to us. For that I have to congratulate you, it looks to me like you're already head and shoulders above most of your peers.

So perhaps you can tell them that it's all a part of your continuing education. I know that I'm continuing my education, and I'm more than 40 years older than you are. Your peers probably wouldn't think I'm a cool guy, but like I said that's up to them. If they want to discuss it they're all welcome to come along to the judo club where I teach. :)

Last edited:

Bush_Man

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2010
Portugal
A NERD is a person that has thirst of knowledge. When he/she want's to know more about something they explore it from top to bottom in order to know more about it. A nerd can be a social human being or not and it's dificult to identify by clothes that he/she wear. TV and films put on the stereotype that NERDS have to wear specific clothes and wear glasses. That's simply not true...:nono:

pinerevolver I've 16 too but I live in a different country. I dunno how social relations work on your shcools but here in Portugal when you rally want it you can be popular, and do what you want as long as you know how to do it.

For example, altough I live in the countryside, in Portugal we have lost many self reliance skills over the years for what I know so, bushcraft and similiar activities are almost unknown (Our knife law isn't so bad as yours but it's far from being perfect and wild camping it's forbidden). So as a teen in this country I cannot be considered normal. So how do I do? I use my 131 IQ to make the school a place that organizes things that people want to see. I develop a good ideia (with my friends that are completely normal btw) that makes local sponsors give me money for making a contest for electing the prettyist girl from the school and for the jury I bring someone famous with that money and make the school, the students, the sponsors and me happy.

It's simple just find a connection between you and the others and explore it and you can keep your activities without being ostracized.

Sorry for my english but that's the only I know.:rant:

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
My mates rip me for going camping in rain without a tent all weekend and I'm 33! I didn't really fit in when I was younger but looking back I wouldn't change anything. Just keep doing what you enjoy and you can't go wrong. I've always figured there's enough going on in my own life without trying to keep others happy, if somebody can't understand that then it's their loss.

Jun 28, 2010
West Berks
Mate, seriously, there's nothing nerdy about this sort of thing. Just be honest and show that you enjoy doing it. If you're confident, they'll realise your interests are different from theirs and you'll have two choices: a) they'll give you crap, in which case you know you're already better than them thus they aren't worth your time... b) they'll accept it.

Last edited:

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
It's tough when you're 16 but when you get older you won't care less what other people think and other people will like and respect you for being true to yourself. What else are your pals doing anyway that's better ? - numptying around probably

NS

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I hadn't realised you were so young :)
What do your parents think of it ? what kind of hobbies do they have ?

At your age (and mind I'm female) I camped a lot with my friends. It's easier for girls if they go in small groups of two, three or fours.

North Lanarkshire's a big bit of land, are you close to any of the farms ? Find the local Young Farmers group and phone the organiser and explain your age and your interests, and ask if they know of someone local who shoots pigeons or rats on the farms and if he might be happy to teach you a little about it ?
Contact the local countryside ranger service, they will advertise events and the like on line, and ask if they have a local 'friends of' group. These folks get along to do everything from digging ditches to coppicing willow, planting trees to helping to create habitats for everything from insects to badgers.

If you are actively involved with other folks, organisations or the like, it's easier to have a reply to folks pestering you I found.

"Going for a walk. " is always the easiest one I reckon :D

When we have other localish meet ups, see if your parents will come along with you, even just for an hour or so, that way they meet folks and everyone relaxes about someone young turning up on his own another time.

cheers,
Toddy

FreddyFish

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Frome, Somerset, UK
No. Nerds take the laptop and some DVDs with them for an overnighter.

Good point Tengu, how well would those muppets get on without modern kit and comforts.

I know it sucks being 16, but be assured it gets better.

Some kids are just under so much peer pressure that they are too scared to be different. I absolutely guarantee that some if not all of those that give you a hard time, would love to have a go at the stuff you are doing but there to sacred of what the others would say.

Maybe if you see some of them out in the woods, bust out some fire lighting skills. Everyone loves fire, it's natures TV.

Hang in there, it will get better. You will care less and they will grow up a bit.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I was never popular as a teenager, which didn't bother me in at all. I was never bullied though, I've had a few try to but from about 15 I've been, 5'8" and between 17 and 20 stone so anyone who tried got harder back than they gave (I've had a few friends been bullied and seen what it's like to be defenceless against it so you could say I don't like them very much).

I was in beavers through to scouts and that gave me the desire to go out and enjoy are beautiful countryside. I did get stick for it off my fellow school kids but it was water off a ducks back, they didn't know what they were missing.

I've also been called a geek or neard since I was about 10 which also never bothered me as I could go and enjoy my sci-fi and anime while the popular kids went out and played football (a sport I've always hated, give me full contact anyday).

The end of the day for me it ment I could do what I wanted and ment I could be left alone to do it. That might be a good reason why I like going out by myself mor ethan with a few friends.

Last edited:

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
i dont have friends my age because they are all too far up their own to understand what you want to do isnt what they want to do. cant be bothered with them and if they insist on knowing i tell them about shooting because they do that in their xbox games so can relate, except im doing it properly. makes me want to thrash them though when they say shotguns are rubbish because they are short range weapons in COD MWF2.
avoid the little devils like the plague (witht he exception of a few...)

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
As long as your not self conscious about your "social status" and how other people view you than no one can see you as a nerd...you're just the guy who has hobbies that other people don't have and enjoy them...If you are concerned about how others view you then you are a nerd
"I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not" - can anyone guess who said that :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE